Why some do people do aesthetics over performance with their builds?

harveylong26

I never really understood this, and yes making your build look good is also a 1+ but why go aesthetics over performance? TechSource did a $1200 build and used a 1060 and a 1200w PSU. A locked CPU but an overclockable motherboard. I'm fairly sure people can go performance over aesthetics and still make the build have some form of theme, especially with a $1200 budget.

My Build: G3258 OC@4.4GHz - Raijintek Aidos - 8GB Ballistix Sport - H81M-S2H - ASUS R7 250 1GB OC - Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 - EVGA 500+ BRONZE - Windows 10 Pro - Logitech MX Master & K800 Keyboard

My Laptop: Macbook Pro (mid 2010) - C2D @ 2.6GHz - 8GB Apple Ram - Nvidia Geforce 320m 512mb - 850 Evo 120GB + 500GB WD Blue - OS X Sierra

1 minute ago, harveylong26 said:

I never really understood this, and yes making your build look good is also a 1+ but why go aesthetics over performance? TechSource did a $1200 build and used a 1060 and a 1200w PSU. A locked CPU but an overclockable motherboard. I'm fairly sure people can go performance over aesthetics and still make the build have some form of theme, especially with a $1200 budget.

Well, i think we have to understand that these are sponsored products which they use in their builds. A normal PC builder/User would never go with 1200W. These things are just an experiments for the video.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

It's all about what you think you need. I would buy a 1070 and watercool it instead of getting a 1080.

Alot of times budget comes in to play when people do builds and set themselves up for future upgrade paths, thus a locked CPU and overclockable motherboard. In today's world, everything will honestly perform very very close to each other in the same field. IE: All GTX 1080's, 1070's, 1060's, RX480's etc all Overclock to about the same clock speeds with maybe a 1-2% difference in actually performance at most. With Motherboards, its alot of feature sets that people want on boards, and most want the "best overclocking board" available, which usually is determined by its power delivery. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

This is just like iphone vs android phones. Aesthetics may be eye pleasing, but no, at least in my case. In the end, it's a choice, and we don't discuss taste and choices. They do what they want w/ their money.

Because everyone needs and wants are not the same.  Why do people buy luxury cars when they could have a much cheaper and faster car?  It isn't always about Min/Maxing.    

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

3 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Because everyone needs and wants are not the same.  Why do people buy luxury cars when they could have a much cheaper and faster car?  It isn't always about Min/Maxing.    

The keyword here being personal preference. 

I changed my Corsair 540 with awesome airflow for a much more expensive Lian Li Pc08 with subpar airflow.  yup I chose aesthetics over performance and would do it again.

All personal preference

i7-5820k @ 4.6ghz w/ H100i || Asus Sabertooth x99 || Gigabyte 980ti G1 ||  EVGA 980ti SC || 32gb DDR4 2666mhz Gskil || 1tb WD Black HDD || Samsung XP941 256gb M.2 PCIe || EVGA 1300w G2 || Corsair 540 w/ Silverstone Sound Dampening Foam || Logisys RGB Led  || Corsair M65 Mouse  & Corsair RGB k70 || A lot of Corsair SP120s

I prefer a rusted out 1980 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, to a 2008 Ford F150 4x4, while others like a 1995 Honda Prelude sports car, yet still others would buy a 2015 Celica sports thing. Some go stock, some paint their rides, and slam neon on the under carriage and around the license plate.

Its all soooooooooooo CHEESY!!!!!!!!

would have rather have a great looking girl on your arm that's ok in bed or a below average that's a monster in bed?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

From working in the automotive business, the majority of people care more about looks than anything else. I have had so many people come in that just bought a car, but have no idea what engine is in it, or the car has beautiful paint and body but every warning light is on in the dash and they got it just because it looked pretty.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Ive said this recently... I could get a motherboard for £80 that is just fine, but am willing to pay £120 for one that looks way better. Aesthetics are quite important to a lot of people when it comes to pc. Ive had a pc that wasnt quite colour coded and had rubbish looking non modular psu cables, I just wanted it to look nicer. Some people care, some dont, either way it keeps us off the streets

3 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

would have rather have a great looking girl on your arm that's ok in bed or a below average that's a monster in bed?

??? lol did not expect such an analogy 

Because some people prefer to look "cool" than something that works properly.

Apple and HP are known masters of such products :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

On 9/9/2016 at 11:07 AM, harveylong26 said:

Bear in mind these people just have that stuff all over the place, they take the first thing they can reach.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Performance and looks are not exclusive, although getting both can usually end up costing more...

And there are performance reasons to go locked CPU with OC mobo. I run compute tasks which are often memory bandwidth limited, so there's no point going for highest clock CPUs. More effort should go towards getting the ram speed up.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Some of the answers are right on point where as some are in left field.

I have a "budget" gaming machine. AMD FX6350, but I have a nice MSI 970 Gaming board to help me overclock. Yes it's got the aesthetics too. It's all packed into all black case with green lights and a vinyl logo on the front. I have a gaming keyboard with RGB and a Logitech G602 mouse. Even my headphones have LED. Some of it is visual style but also performance too. My case has style, but also great airflow. And when I upgrade in the future, it'll support anything I want because it has the space.

But my choice of parts, LEDs, and so on aren't because I'm trying to be flashy. My PC reflects me from its visual style down to the wire management. I could have saved money airflowupportnd bought an i5 airflowupportnd put it in airflowupportnd nice old beige  Compaq  case. But why? I don't want to look at an old flesh toned PC case. I want it to be mine. I want to have the looks of my PC be a part of my personality. It isn't about being flashy, "Yo, like I got a million LEDs-n-sht..." No.

"I'm an Apple... I'm a PC..." it's about feeling like you're about part of your technology. 1200 dollars buys you an Mac Air that is the same as everyone elses. Or you can use the 1200 bucks and build yourself something unique. Be creative, be stylish, and be yourself.

You can go the way of yhe Ricer car. +15 HP for a spoiler.... +.03 GHz for the LED string... or you can get what you can afford while still maintaining your individuality and having fun along the way.

It's not always about maximum performance. It's not about maximum visuals. It about being proud of your creation when you are done.

I'm not a professional gamer. I don't need 144Hz screen. I don't need a GTX 1070 to push my game to 80+FPS when I'm on a 60Hz monitor. Everyone has different needs.

maybe because they want to look at there PC more then there monitor? thats just about the only reason i can think off. all my PCs look like shit but they were awesome value so idgaf. i used a cardboard box for the LAN PC becuase 1: it was light 2: it was cheap so i could spend cash on other shit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

why not both? :D

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

6 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Monster 

6 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

monster in bed, im all for preformance, looks can go to hell if i can get something that preforms better for the same or less

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:07 AM, harveylong26 said:

I could ask the same thing about people that just go PURE $/FPS...  SO you want to buy a computer that you have to finagle with every single time you turn it off and back on again just because you want more FPS?

I personally am the type that just wants to build a computer that works and move on with the rest of my life.  Now I spent about $1400 on my build, but I knew what I wanted and (more or less) since I put it together the amount of work I have done on it is minimal.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I somewhat agree however when doing my build I sort of made some exceptions to the rule and skimped out on some color. I'm going to try plasti-dip this summer when I'm back in Texas with my pc and see what I can do

Shipping sucks

For some building a PC is like an art or something it's not just about how fast can i go for the money. So if they want it to look nice and maybe not be quite as fast as it could have been oh well. Personally I go as fast as I can then worry about looks.