Wait for new zen series and pointers on my first build

Hey guys

So I plan to start my first build in the next few months when I get the money (that is of course if I don't win the 3 million subscribers giveaway ;)) and I was wondering whether or not to wait for the new zen processors or buy something else now? 

I also am a noob to this all I know is things I gathered from either Linus tech tips or the Internet.  I was hoping to keep my total price (including solid keyboard and monitor) around 1000 U.S. Dollars.  If you have any advice or recommendations I would appreciate it.

This is what I have:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mattpcpp/saved/ryMnQ7

thank you for your time :) 

-Matthew Crossin

Thank you very much for all the help I really appreciate it!

Also my Dad is buying two new monitors and he is willing to give me his old ones free so that frees me up some more money for parts :) 

Edited by MattCross

What was it again that this PC is going to be built for?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I'm personally not expecting Zen to be in good supply until early next year.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I intended to use this for primarily gaming and I was hoping to start streaming on twitch. I'd also like it to last a few years before needing upgrades if possible 

Are you going to game and stream on this computer? If so, you might have some trouble here of there and strongly advise you get a 1070 at least. Unless you don't mind dropping the resolution and graphics quality. This is a good option till you can afford to upgrade to better hardware. Thing to keep in mind is that AMD had a tough time single threading creates lots of heat and can be a bit of a power hog. But overall performance to price is why AMD is a good solution.

24 minutes ago, MattCross said:

I intended to use this for primarily gaming and I was hoping to start streaming on twitch. I'd also like it to last a few years before needing upgrades if possible 

I would say go for a 6600k, z170 board and a 1060/1070.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

I personally recommend HIGHLY waiting for zen if your going with a AMD processor. That 6350 is going to be horrible for streaming on twitch. Here is my recommended build if your interested in going more intel which may help you more in streaming: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FwxZwV

This should give you somewhat good headroom for a decent monitor and keyboard. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend swapping out that 1060 for the RX470. The RX470 is the PERFECT GPU for 1080p gaming, it can get ultra at around 60-70fps on almost every game. It's a great GPU and I highly recommend it to everyone. 

PLEASE make sure to get a SSD. There may be some skepticism about them, but I assure you it is a worthy investment as it will give you amazing performance in the reliability of your PC, I personally have actually seen it help a lot in my streaming with lag and the such.

The other thing is the power supply, I am not totally sure how efficient the ZEN architecture is but I recommend swapping out the corsair builder as recently there has been some reports on it's quality. Apparently it doesn't deliver the cleanest power compared to the other corsair series power supplies.

Also the AMD stock coolers are absolutely horrible, the one i've included I personally use in a lot of builds and will provide excellent cooling performance extending the life of the cpu you choose by a ton. 

As for ZEN it might be in your interest to wait for it, i've heard the newest processor being on par with a I7 4790k, though to be honest I have no idea if this is true at all. I recommend if your willing to wait for it because it might give you some extra cash to spend on that monitor and keyboard as well as possibly giving you a lot more power than a i3 that I recommended. Good luck. 

One last thing: I suggest this monitor if you can afford it:  http://goo.gl/b5qLM8  

An ultrawide IPS with freesync and I believe overclocks a bit past 60hz in game mode. Great monitor though it may not fit in your budget

4 minutes ago, Karakofire said:

Are you going to game and stream on this computer? If so, you might have some trouble here of there and strongly advise you get a 1070 at least. Unless you don't mind dropping the resolution and graphics quality. This is a good option till you can afford to upgrade to better hardware. Thing to keep in mind is that AMD had a tough time single threading creates lots of heat and can be a bit of a power hog. But overall performance to price is why AMD is a good solution.

Thank you I'll keep that in mind.  Do you have any preferences on perphials?

14 minutes ago, MattCross said:

Hmm... then I suggest this:

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.90 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GT OC Video Card  ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($48.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Rosewill 500W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor  ($126.89 @ B&H) 
Total: $911.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-07 15:41 EDT-0400

You have 90$ left for a keyboard of your choice.

Another option would be to drop the SSD, nice mobo and RAM and dump it all on a 6700 rather than an i5. And you'll be left with only 70$ for the keyboard. Still, it's a good one as well, given that you intend to stream.

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($288.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($57.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GT OC Video Card  ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($48.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Rosewill 500W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor  ($126.89 @ B&H) 
Total: $931.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-07 15:43 EDT-0400

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

9 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

PLEASE make sure to get a SSD. There may be some skepticism about them, but I assure you it is a worthy investment as it will give you amazing performance in the reliability of your PC, I personally have actually seen it help a lot in my streaming with lag and the such.

There's a difference between "performance" and "responsiveness". An SSD will make the OS feel snappier, stuff opens / closes very quickly. It's a great feeling, I'm not going to deny that. BUT, when it comes to actually rendering the game and powering a stream at the same time, an SSD is pretty much useless, outside of high resolution local recording, if you'll be doing that (which I highly doubt to be OP's case).

6 minutes ago, MattCross said:

Good luck fitting a decent monitor and keyboard + this build under 1000$. Good. F*ing. Luck.

12 minutes ago, MattCross said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pvHfvV

This is much better, the t2 cooler is not better tgen the stock intel one, and the corsair psu is crap. 

I would add a $40 128Gb ssd for the OS as well, but it isn't letting me. And there is the cooler master devastator keyboard for $30 that come in multiple colors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CDYAF28/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473278432&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=cooler+master+devastator&dpPl=1&dpID=514YiEIOMbL&ref=plSrch

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

30 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

I personally recommend HIGHLY waiting for zen if your going with a AMD processor. That 6350 is going to be horrible for streaming on twitch. Here is my recommended build if your interested in going more intel which may help you more in streaming: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FwxZwV

This should give you somewhat good headroom for a decent monitor and keyboard. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend swapping out that 1060 for the RX470. The RX470 is the PERFECT GPU for 1080p gaming, it can get ultra at around 60-70fps on almost every game. It's a great GPU and I highly recommend it to everyone. 

The other thing is the power supply, I am not totally sure how efficient the ZEN architecture is but I recommend swapping out the corsair builder as recently there has been some reports on it's quality. Apparently it doesn't deliver the cleanest power compared to the other corsair series power supplies.

Also the AMD stock coolers are absolutely horrible, the one i've included I personally use in a lot of builds and will provide excellent cooling performance extending the life of the cpu you choose by a ton. 

As for ZEN it might be in your interest to wait for it, i've heard the newest processor being on par with a I7 4790k, though to be honest I have no idea if this is true at all. I recommend if your willing to wait for it because it might give you some extra cash to spend on that monitor and keyboard as well as possibly giving you a lot more power than a i3 that I recommended. Good luck. 

One last thing: I suggest this monitor if you can afford it:  http://goo.gl/b5qLM8  

An ultrawide IPS with freesync and I believe overclocks a bit past 60hz in game mode. Great monitor though it may not fit in your budget

Thanks for the help and the pointers. I really appreciate it and I'll keep those in mind.  I really like the monitor that will save me from buying two and it's a good deal!

I'd wait for Zen. Even if you don't buy a Zen cpu, it still forces Intel to lower their prices(slightly)if they are any good. this means that if Zen gets released, both Intel and AMD cpu prices will go down and that means: better value for money. So that would be my reason to wait for Zen.

5 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

I'd wait for Zen. Even if you don't buy a Zen cpu, it still forces Intel to lower their prices(slightly)if they are any good. this means that if Zen gets released, both Intel and AMD cpu prices will go down and that means: better value for money. So that would be my reason to wait for Zen.

That is a very good point.  Do you know if there is a release date?

2 minutes ago, MattCross said:

That is a very good point.  Do you know if there is a release date?

2017... maybe. My personal bet is May~July before we can get our hands on a nice Zen CPU.

2 hours ago, MattCross said:

Thank you I'll keep that in mind.  Do you have any preferences on perphials?

Honestly, I'm not a heavy computer user primarily due to my arthritis and dead nerves in my hands. I'm in pain pressing keys or just can't feel the keys. So guys help him out with peripherals. Also I read a comment saying the AMD chip you selected won't stream well which is a strong argument but don't go with the 6600k. It's too expensive for your budget and you'll have to choose a new board and ram for the new compatibility requirements. Also if you get a cheap board you can't overclock the 6600k making an unlocked chip useless anyway. Then the board/chip needs ddr4 and that's expensive when ddr3 will work just fine. You don't have to have the latest and greatest to do well with a computer just know the hardware's limitations and work with it. Then when you get established then go raise the money with your followers and get the God gear.

1 hour ago, Karakofire said:

Honestly, I'm not a heavy computer user primarily due to my arthritis and dead nerves in my hands. I'm in pain pressing keys or just can't feel the keys. So guys help him out with peripherals. Also I read a comment saying the AMD chip you selected won't stream well which is a strong argument but don't go with the 6600k. It's too expensive for your budget and you'll have to choose a new board and ram for the new compatibility requirements. Also if you get a cheap board you can't overclock the 6600k making an unlocked chip useless anyway. Then the board/chip needs ddr4 and that's expensive when ddr3 will work just fine. You don't have to have the latest and greatest to do well with a computer just know the hardware's limitations and work with it. Then when you get established then go raise the money with your followers and get the God gear.

Thanks.  I did think the 6600k was a little expensive and if there were no better options, I was willing to keep saving for it.  I did come across I3 6100 RangerLunis recommended and it seems like it's a strong and reasonably price cpu.  What do you think?

Just now, MattCross said:

Thanks.  I did think the 6600k was a little expensive and if there were no better options, I was willing to keep saving for it.  I did come across I3 6100 RangerLunis recommended and it seems like it's a strong and reasonably price cpu.  What do you think?

First I'd like to admit that I had a momentary lapse of knowledge. I was thinking that the 6600 was one of the i7s that required ddr4. So before I continue I'd like to apologize for that and so that you are better informed and can make a better call on what to buy. Second I personally think of you want to go intel go with a gen 5 i5. They have plenty of reviews and use by the community. Plenty of options will be left for upgrades and you will get solid performance. Gimme a sec and I'll go to pc part picker and give you a build idea.

Just now, Karakofire said:

First I'd like to admit that I had a momentary lapse of knowledge. I was thinking that the 6600 was one of the i7s that required ddr4. So before I continue I'd like to apologize for that and so that you are better informed and can make a better call on what to buy. Second I personally think of you want to go intel go with a gen 5 i5. They have plenty of reviews and use by the community. Plenty of options will be left for upgrades and you will get solid performance. Gimme a sec and I'll go to pc part picker and give you a build idea.

It's all good thanks for the help

19 minutes ago, MattCross said:

It's all good thanks for the help

Well once again I stand corrected. You can get a current gen i5 with a good oc board for a reasonable price.

This url has the parts list with an os.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/myMn6X