Does any one wear anti-static straps?

socks&sandals

I've never used one but things die sometimes--may or may not have been my fault.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Occasionally, depends who I'm building for. If myself, then yeah sure, if for my friends, then no. If it doesn't work or something is fried due to my build up of static, then I won't admit it and just blame it on a dodgy board and get my mate to RMA. :D

P.S. In my experience, not had an issue...hehe, so probably not really required.

1 minute ago, socks&sandals said:

Tbh ive built around 10 pc's without one sooooooo...

do we really need them?

As long as you keep grounded, and are not holding a charge... well not really.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

I don't because it's a waste of time and money. Learn something about electricity and poke your cases. Built and rebuilt computers dozens and dozens of times on carpet with socks and never once has something failed.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

I've never used one. 

Exactly! So whats their purpose tbh

Just now, socks&sandals said:

Exactly! So whats their purpose tbh

They prevent build up of static electricity. 

It's like a seatbelt. Just because you haven't gotten into a car crash doesn't mean it's useless. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

if its winter and really dry i might throw one on because for other times of the year its usually too humid for you to build up charge

nope, hate being tied to anything. touch PSU before handling components or devices.

might have to make a quick exit and instead dragging some PC chassis, fumbling and falling isn't my forte.

Working on my workstation, yes. Some of the stuff in there is far too expensive to even risk it.

90% of the time though im just working on my server or gaming setup, and don't both with an anti-static band.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I used one once.. it was uncomfortable and limited my range of movement, never again.
So now I just touch the casing of a plugged PSU to discharge any static charge I may have accumulated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Being cautious is never a bad thing. being lazy is tho :D

I've never used one before but I always recommend to use one. however new components have anti static protection diodes built into them and they can take couple of small discharges before they get damaged. modern ICs have it too and you can read about it in their datasheets.

OMEN 15T | 9750H+LM | RTX 2070 UV+OC | 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD | 144Hz GSync

Never,  I guess i would in a corporate setting to be all professional.

I have never put one on, i always just touch the case to destatic(?) myself have rebuilt my rig a dozen times and built a few buddies rigs never ever any problems.

Working on Computer and Laptops in a regular bases and i never had problems with it.

But working on a server i just touch something grounded and then just go for it.

We all already had it

Fridays close to end the workday:

Let me just fix or update  (insert anything you want) quickly. 

Shouldn't take so long

nope use one when working for my dad tho (handling electronic voting circuit cards)

I would only use one if I had no choice but to build the computer with my feet on carpet, or something like that.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Well most motherboards nowadays do handle static and it isnt much of a major problem as it was earlier. I have myself helped my friends build a lot of pcs and have never used an anti static strap.Its really not needed for basic stuff.

I've never used one. However, I have a grounded metal legged engineer's table that I touch the legs on before touching any different part or significant time between. Pretty much the same effect. I've also used plugged-in, off, power supplies as a grounding point when working on something without better area to ground.

tbh I haven't actually used mine when working on my PC, however, it is recommended that you use one. Though these recommendations often are given in classes, and so, inherently they refer to the professional setting. If you work on PCs at home for yourself or family/friends, you likely won't need one (that is if you understand the basics of ESD, and don't want/need/care enough to provide extra safety for the PC), but if you work for a PC repair shop or work on computers for some other job you probably should, just to ensure that everything goes smoothly for you and the customer/employee that requested your service...

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Take care of your working space of static building materials (clothes, plastics, carpets etc) and ground yourself often. I personally discharge by touching a psu with the powercable attached to the wall. Nothing bad has happened after repairing some hundreds of cheap computers. Only wore antistatic gloves once while upgrading company's servers.