Apple Aims to Refresh Mac Lineup, Introduce Standalone 5K LG Monitor

Hakugman

The company has now partnered with LG Electronics to devise a screen with 5K resolution, which features 700% the pixels found on a standard 1080p display. 

Apple is working on updates for iPad which will bring in some additional features.

Apple is refreshing the MacBook Air lineup (Are they? so is the MacBook Air lineup not dead and here to stay?)

While the refresh seems promising. I bet it would be expensive leaving your wallet to bite the dust. Then again knowing Apple, they know their market segment very well at this point. Thoughts?

Anyone is more than welcome to clear the doubts with facts concerning the MacBook Air as well. 

Original source http://www.technewstoday.com/31255-apple-aims-to-refresh-mac-lineup-introduce-standalone-5k-lg-monitor/

Well I see no issue with another 5k screen coming to the market, though It's probably not going to be worth the money if apple is involved

Oh and op add a quote from the article or the mods will move the thread

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

you really should add quotes and a little more of your own opinion. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Sadly only stuff that has been rumoured at for months already.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

19 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well I see no issue with another 5k screen coming to the market, though It's probably not going to be worth the money if apple is involved

I guess is not surprising, What might make you scratch your head is the Air, which is also receiving an update. Does this mean they will replace the Air changing their mind with this lineup? Or will it still have it's place? I found stunning all the tech they intend to bring to the table.

Ps. Btw Thank you for the quotes tip.

12 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Remember, the 5K iMac still costs less than Dell's stand-alone 5K display.  Pay $400 less, get a full computer attached!

A dedicated 5K screen probably going to cost somewhere between $999 to $1,199, I reckon.  There have been reports that Apple might include a built-in GPU to help drive the screen, but we'll see.

Thunderbolt display replacement, finally.

I see the dGPU display as an option with USB-C (the other option being no dGPU in the display at all), so that their shiny new MacBooks can run a native 5k display.

Ye ole' train

30 minutes ago, Gr0egercesg said:

That 700% of 1080p figures is such an "Apple" statistic.

5120x2880 = 14,745,600

1920x1080 = 2,073,600

14,745,600 / 2,073,600 = 7.11 repeating.

5k is 711% of 1080p. Also known as 7.11x the resolution. 

So... Where is the issue?

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

5120x2880 = 14,745,600

1920x1080 = 2,073,600

5k is 711% of 1080p. Also known as 7.11x the resolution. 

I think he means you will not gain 700% more use from the pixels eg for photo editing as some will go into wifi icons, status bar, window borders. It also isn't as if you get 7x the area either.

31 minutes ago, Gr0egercesg said:

That 700% of 1080p figures is such an "Apple" statistic.

Right? I knew I couldn't be the only one to notice that xD

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

5120x2880 = 14,745,600

1920x1080 = 2,073,600

5k is 711% of 1080p.

Not the point, what's funny is that they throw out a percentage when they could just give you the actual resolution. It's very typical of Apple to report stats like that.

31 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Remember, the 5K iMac still costs less than Dell's stand-alone 5K display.  Pay $400 less, get a full computer attached!

A dedicated 5K screen probably going to cost somewhere between $999 to $1,199, I reckon.  There have been reports that Apple might include a built-in GPU to help drive the screen, but we'll see.

That's true, however you can buy 3 4k screens for that money. Not to mention until very recently most graphics cards didn't even have the correct output to drive 5k from a single connector.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Not the point, what's funny is that they throw out a percentage when they could just give you the actual resolution. It's very typical of Apple to report stats like that.

It's not as bad as Nvidia saying the 10-series has twice the gaming performances (or some other hidden, and looks good on paper, number). Tiny nit picking thing.

Good luck Apple is all i can really say.

9 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

I think he means you will not gain 700% more use from the pixels eg for photo editing as some will go into wifi icons, status bar, window borders. It also isn't as if you get 7x the area either.

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That's true, however you can buy 3 4k screens for that money. Not to mention until very recently most graphics cards didn't even have the correct output to drive 5k from a single connector.

I still don't get the issue. It's still over 700% of the pixels... It's not really misleading in any way.

"5K resolution, which features 700% the pixels found on a standard 1080p display."

Where's the issue in that statement?

Expect this thing to be $2000+

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

My thoughts exactly. From that standpoint is not cost effective. But then again, we'll see.

3 minutes ago, SeraphicWings said:

Expect this thing to be $2000+

That'd be rather odd given that the 5K iMac (with a computer on the back!) starts at $1,800.

13 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

I still don't get the issue. It's still over 700% of the pixels... It's not really misleading in any way.

"5K resolution, which features 700% the pixels found on a standard 1080p display."

Where's the issue in that statement?

It's not an issue, it's just funny because of how typical of them it is. Would you have pointed it out in that way?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Look at the Cinema display though, they were very expensive relative to the price of an iMac (granted it was basically a legacy product that they hadn't updated the performance or the price of in years, but still) 

28 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I mean, all 4k TVs were marketed that way -- "4 times the resolution of 1080p". 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Look at the Cinema display though, they were very expensive relative to the price of an iMac (granted it was basically a legacy product that they hadn't updated the performance or the price of in years, but still) 

I mean, all 4k TVs were marketed that way -- "4 times the resolution of 1080p". 

but never as "400% the pixels contained in a 1080p display"

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

When the Thunderbolt Display was launched, $999 for a 27-inch 1440p IPS display with Thunderbolt was considered pretty solid value.  The problem, of course, is that Apple never changed that price or updated the display to keep pace.  At least when new, I'd expect an Apple 5K screen to seem like a relative bargain.

26 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's not an issue, it's just funny because of how typical of them it is. Would you have pointed it out in that way?

I would have said over 7x myself. I don't see what people are moaning about here, the phrasing isn't even remotely misleading: "5K resolution, which features 700% the pixels found on a standard 1080p display."

That's perfectly accurate, it's actually underselling it since it's really 711%.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

I would have said over 7x myself. I don't see what people are moaning about here, the phrasing isn't even remotely misleading: "5K resolution, which features 700% the pixels found on a standard 1080p display."

That's perfectly accurate, it's actually underselling it since it's really 711%.

But again, I'm not complaining. I'm just saying it's very, very recognizable. I'd have given the actual res, but hey.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's gonna be interesting to see how they will connect to their previous 'Pro' devices like the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro since they only have Thunderbolt 2. They will have to create an adapter that converts 2x Thunderbolt 2 to 1 Thunderbolt 3. Either that or require 2 cables to connect

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

But again, I'm not complaining. I'm just saying it's very, very recognizable. I'd have given the actual res, but hey.

I can't find that as an actual quote from either LG Apple, only from that site. Could be wrong, not sure.

8 hours ago, Commodus said:

That'd be rather odd given that the 5K iMac (with a computer on the back!) starts at $1,800.

That's why I've said it before

The iMac 5K is actually quite p/p

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar