Sony has come up with an excuse for you to buy Kaby Lake CPUs

AlTech
2 minutes ago, FakezZ said:

Yeah it would definitely kill the battery life, but I don't really think software decoding is something that even like an i3 can't handle...

Maybe, but its a "very tight fit", but an i5 would be more than enough i think. Since i dont have any 4k hevc vids i cant test it. Maybe i download sintel and convert it  :D .

Nuk0AWZ.png

Spoiler

L9EEhzO.png

my windows server transcoding from HEVC to h264 in 4k with a bit rate at about 30-40 Mb/s the CPU is a D-1541 (scores 996 on cinebench R15 vs 4770k @4.4 822)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

the point isnt that if you or i can but can the user base the company is targeting.

Kabylake has a 4k capable HEVC decoder almost all other don't, Most people do not have desktop class i7 like cpus in their machines, so Sony, Netflix, etc can not guarantee a good user experience for 4k content that is not being run on a device that does NOT have hardware decoder. that is the main reason why Netflix on streams 4k content to TV only. I bet 95% of laptops cant view 4k HEVC videos smoothly, and it would KILL battery life.

Actually the reason Netflix 4K is unavailable is DRM or rather lack there of. Another fun fact is that you can't even stream 1080p on a PC because of DRM unless you use the Windows 10 app or Edge/IE browser. Don't know why Netflix doesn't support 4K on their own app, but I guess DRM isn't good enough for them and possibly the lack of hardware decoder. In either case, the majority of PCs shipping in 2017 will have hardware decoders and HDCP support one way or another whether it's through Kaby Lake, Zen, Polaris/Vega, Pascal (and select Maxwell).

13 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Actually the reason Netflix 4K is unavailable is DRM or rather lack there of. Another fun fact is that you can't even stream 1080p on a PC because of DRM unless you use the Windows 10 app or Edge/IE browser. Don't know why Netflix doesn't support 4K on their own app, but I guess DRM isn't good enough for them and possibly the lack of hardware decoder. In either case, the majority of PCs shipping in 2017 will have hardware decoders and HDCP support one way or another whether it's through Kaby Lake, Zen, Polaris/Vega, Pascal (and select Maxwell).

yes this is the other reason they don't but it still stands that most of the PCs that watch Netflix cant handle 4k HEVC decoding.

And this is why I'm giving so little shits about being 4k ready right now. There's going to be so little content that isn't behind a paywall and most hardware right now isn't even capable of playing 4k reliably without paying out the ass.

I'll wait until the idiots upstairs figure out their shit and decide to stop treating consumers like children.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

28 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

And this is why I'm giving so little shits about being 4k ready right now. There's going to be so little content that isn't behind a paywall and most hardware right now isn't even capable of playing 4k reliably without paying out the ass.

I'll wait until the idiots upstairs figure out their shit and decide to stop treating consumers like children.

My PC can handle 4K, and it wasn't absurdly expensive. One of the GTX 960's few merits. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I got a micomsoft capture card and a cheap hdmi splitter that disagrees :D

right... you can capture anything with supplies that cost 50 -  200 dollars. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

4 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Nuk0AWZ.png

Reveal hidden contents

L9EEhzO.png

my windows server transcoding from HEVC to h264 in 4k with a bit rate at about 30-40 Mb/s the CPU is a D-1541 (scores 996 on cinebench R15 vs 4770k @4.4 822)

Ok...considering my 4790K never comes under that high a load with 4K HVEC videos.....even when its not overclocked to 4.8GHz.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Ok...considering my 4790K never comes under that high a load with 4K HVEC videos.....even when its not overclocked to 4.8GHz.....

what does it hit, and depending on the settings used with encoding it can be more or less CPU intensive

5 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Nuk0AWZ.png

Reveal hidden contents

L9EEhzO.png

Transcoding isnt the same as viewing it. I started to convert sintel. If its done i post the result while playing it.

5 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Nuk0AWZ.png

Reveal hidden contents

L9EEhzO.png

Of course, this is a transcode, not a straight-up decode task. 

My i5-4590 can handle YouTube 4K30P decode in software with 30%-40% utilization (this is Google's VP9 codec mind you), more than enough to tackle HEVC without hardware assistance from the 960.

As far as transcode goes, even H264 4K from another similar source may be beyond the capabilities of the i5. 1080P from HEVC to H264 (Blu Ray rips)  in real time may be within the realm of possibility, though I've yet to try it. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

what does it hit, and depending on the settings used with encoding it can be more or less CPU intensive

Decoding, 20% at most, encoding it always hits 100%, just the way it does with H264 and any other codec (excluding low compression codecs, I pretty much run 1 per thread without any drop in speed). Trans-coding literally depends on the speed of the drive however, and I saw about the same usage as you did until a powersurge from the PSU (one of the many faulty units I've gotten) took out all 3 ODD (BR, 2x Lightscribe DVD). Remember BTW that Sony is talking about decoding 4K HEVC, not trans-coding a 4K Blueray to 4K HEVC, as that always requires more resources.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Okay, its done:

Spoiler

General
Complete name                  :
Format                         : MPEG-4
Format profile                 : Sony PSP
Codec ID                       : MSNV
File size                      : 3.44 GiB
Duration                       : 14mn 48s
Overall bit rate               : 33.3 Mbps
Encoded date                   : UTC 2016-09-04 07:48:20
Tagged date                    : UTC 2016-09-04 07:48:20

Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : HEVC
Format/Info                    : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                 : Main@L5@High
Codec ID                       : hvc1
Codec ID/Info                  : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration                       : 14mn 47s
Bit rate                       : 33.1 Mbps
Width                          : 4 096 pixels
Height                         : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 25.000 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.150
Stream size                    : 3.42 GiB (99%)
Language                       : English

Audio
ID                             : 2
Format                         : AAC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                 : LC
Codec ID                       : 40
Duration                       : 14mn 48s
Source duration                : 14mn 48s
Bit rate mode                  : Constant
Bit rate                       : 199 Kbps
Nominal bit rate               : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                     : 2 channels
Channel positions              : Front: L R
Sampling rate                  : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode               : Lossy
Stream size                    : 21.0 MiB (1%)
Source stream size             : 21.0 MiB (1%)
Language                       : English
mdhd_Duration                  : 888020

MPCHC(x64) is using ~40% of my cpu(4670k@4,5GHz)...

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

2) They stream 4K videos better.

Ha ha, fuck off.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

17 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Ha ha, fuck off.

I'm being serious. They have better 4K DECODING...........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

59 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm being serious. They have better 4K DECODING...........

Not better just HW accelerated. The quality is source dependent in this case not decoder...

10 hours ago, Tocsin_786 said:

right... you can capture anything with supplies that cost 50 -  200 dollars. 

this particular card I think cost 350 USD ish 

kinda that porsche of cards. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch