Samsung rumored to be issuing a recall of Note 7

cazetofamo

Samsung will reportedly issue worldwide recall of Galaxy Note 7 - The Verge
www.theverge.com/2016/9/1/12759912/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall

RUMOR

Due to several reports of exploding batteries, Samsung may be issuing a massive recall of the device. 

Just yesterday, Samsung delayed further shippments while they investigated these claims and several sources have since reported that they will issue a recall. 

Hopefully this isn't true, as it would be a pretty bug blow to the company.

You'd think exploding batteries would be a thing of the past, like lead in water pipes.

But I guess testing phases are just too much work when there's piles of money to be had.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

i don't think this is a rumor. this i thought was for real. samsung was actually recalling the note 7 over this battery problem.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, Gravemind said:

You'd think exploding batteries would be a thing of the past, like lead in water pipes.

But I guess testing phases are just too much work when there's piles of money to be had.

This is just like us PC gamers preordering games

When the demand is too much production lines tend to shit the bed

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

Lithium Ion batteries are incredibly volatile. It's basically a fuel tank next to a fire with a wall in the middle. 

• Wall is punctured, BOOM
  • Wall gets hot, BOOM

We've just learned how to handle batteries better, and improved the material the wall is made of. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

10 minutes ago, cazetofamo said:

It's crazy. My phone stays next to me on my mattress when i sleep, so this is absolutely terrifying. Good thing I decided against Samsung.

Doesn't matter if you decided against one brand or another; all batteries in the world are mass produced by 1 of 2 manufacturers: Sanyo Corporation, or the company I forget the name of who allows vendors to re-brand/re-badge batteries as their own.

Any phone has the potential to have an exploding battery, as does any laptop. It just depends on the particular manufacturing LOT of batteries being used at the time, and what grade/quality of batteries the phone manufacturer opted to purchase for that particular batch of phones.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

8 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

A phone battery catching fire is pretty bad, but I'm waiting for one of these bad boys to go up in flames: 

2015-05-01T061714Z_14102230_GF1000007952

One did, sometime in the past week! I can't remember the article but it was mentioned on either Tech Talk or Awesome Hardware.

8 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

A phone battery catching fire is pretty bad, but I'm waiting for one of these bad boys to go up in flames: 

2015-05-01T061714Z_14102230_GF1000007952

One did, sometime in the past week! I can't remember the article but it was mentioned on either Tech Talk or Awesome Hardware.

25 minutes ago, cazetofamo said:

nah, that was a tesla going up in flames, not the home battery 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

just FYI

this is the aftermath of the Note 7 exploding

6a0120a5580826970c01b8d2158121970c-800wi

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

It's rather interesting to think of how much volatile energy we regularly carry in our pockets. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, cazetofamo said:

Samsung will reportedly issue worldwide recall of Galaxy Note 7 - The Verge
www.theverge.com/2016/9/1/12759912/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall

RUMOR

Due to several reports of exploding batteries, Samsung may be issuing a massive recall of the device. 

Just yesterday, Samsung delayed further shippments while they investigated these claims and several sources have since reported that they will issue a recall. 

Hopefully this isn't true, as it would be a pretty bug blow to the company.

If it's the verge, then I don't trust the rumour

I believe it's the Exynos version that is having these problems according to the last thread 

this isn't a rumor anymore: http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/02/technology/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall/index.html

The recall of one of Samsung Electronic's flagship devices is an embarrassing setback for the world's biggest selling smartphone maker. The Note 7 was unveiled just a month ago.
Samsung said it had found a problem with the phone's battery and was halting sales. It will replace all Galaxy Note 7s with a new product regardless of when it was purchased.

7 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

just FYI

this is the aftermath of the Note 7 exploding

Arabs be like:

ewYynjw_700wa_0.gif

It's a joke, I'm an Arab Muslim. please don't kill me. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

And that is why I'm still hanging on to my s2 with its 2 hour battery life. Seems that it is impossible to get a good oem replacement.

9 hours ago, Sacredsock said:

Agreed, no rumour,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37253742

Kind of fitting that Linus posted the review today as well

a week ago on vessel!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

im still going to use mine right up until my replacement arrives on my door step!

theres been 35 incidents out of just over 1 million devices sold thats 0.0035% devices so far...

so far its a voluntary recall, if they find something super bad theyll obviously escalate that.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

please delete.. double post

3 hours ago, Badger906 said:

a week ago on vessel!

good point, I forgot about early access on vessel