6850K vs 6700K - PCI-E Lane count on SLI

Joshe343

Okay so let's pretend for a second that the 6850K and the 6700K perform identically. Only difference is that the 6850K has 40 PCI-E lanes as opposed to the 6700K.

That being said, which of these two machines is going to perform better in terms of gaming?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/XeClutch/saved/BkDtt6

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/XeClutch/saved/Rpp999

Keep in mind, on the 6700K the GPU's will have to run at 8X as opposed to 16X on the 6850K.

3.0x8 won't bottleneck any current GPU and 3.0x4 will only bottleneck by 1-3fps. 

Also, 1000w is WAY overkill. The RM series is good, but there are much better PSUs for the money. And spending that kind of money on fans is ridiculous. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6700k because it performs better in gaming and 8x PCIe 3.0 does not bottleneck a GPU at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Joshe343 said:

Okay so let's pretend for a second that the 6850K and the 6700K perform identically. Only difference is that the 6850K has 40 PCI-E lanes as opposed to the 6700K.

That being said, which of these two machines is going to perform better in terms of gaming?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/XeClutch/saved/BkDtt6

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/XeClutch/saved/Rpp999

Keep in mind, on the 6700K the GPU's will have to run at 8X as opposed to 16X on the 6850K.

The 6700k one. Lanes are not a problem for GPU.

Change the RAM to this kit, though, it will give you a bit more performance.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

3.0x8 won't bottleneck any current GPU and 3.0x4 will only bottleneck by 1-3fps. 

Also, 1000w is WAY overkill. 

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

6700k because it performs better in gaming and 8x PCIe 3.0 does not bottleneck a GPU at all.

Really glad to see you guys read the part about assuming the two processors performed identically and that the PCI-E lane count was the only difference.

6 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

The 6700k one. Lanes are not a problem for GPU.

Change the RAM to this kit, though, it will give you a bit more performance.

Well, better response than the first two. Also, I've already bought the RAM and really cba to return it. Especially not for that ugly looking RAM or when I can just get a 3000MHz version of what I have listed there for <$5 more. If it wasn't already apparent by the parts list, I'm extremely superficial when it comes to the aesthetic of my PC.

Just now, Joshe343 said:

Well, better response than the first two. Also, I've already bought the RAM and really cba to return it. Especially not for that ugly looking RAM or when I can just get a 3000MHz version of what I have listed there for <$5 more. If it wasn't already apparent by the parts list, I'm extremely superficial when it comes to the aesthetic of my PC.

Suit yourself. Just make sure you get a single 4x8 overkill kit rather than 2 separate 2x8 ones. And that it is rather fast, 3000mhz or above.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 minutes ago, Joshe343 said:

Really glad to see you guys read the part about assuming the two processors performed identically and that the PCI-E lane count was the only difference.

How was my (or @Enderman's) response any different than @Imakuni

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, Joshe343 said:

Glad you didn't read the part about "8x PCIe 3.0 does not bottleneck a GPU"

And no, the CPUs don't perform identically and never will. So why imagine that they do?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

And no, the CPUs don't perform identically and never will. So why imagine that they do?

Probably for the same stupid reason he's spending $5k on a computer which could be built for far less, or spending $350 on (likely shitty, like all other corsair) fans. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Probably for the same stupid reason he's spending $5k on a computer which could be built for far less, or spending $350 on (likely shitty, like all other corsair) fans. 

Wow I didn't look at the prices, that's a huge waste of money...

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Joshe343 said:

It shouldn't make a considerable difference.

I know you wanted us to consider this independently of the CPUs, but I'll just say that I don't believe there's a practical gaming scenario that demands anything more than a 5820K/6800K, and I'd personally only consider those if heavy content creation was a primary focus of the system. The 6700K is one of the fastest gaming CPUs available.

25 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I did, and firstly, that's stupid because it's not the case, and secondly with that assumption they would perform identically. So go ahead and spend an extra $500 for no reason. It's not my money, what the fuck do I care.

24 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It was a hypothetical. I had to come up with a way of asking about PCI-E performance and didn't know how to put it into words at the time.

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

31 minutes ago, Joshe343 said:

18 minutes ago, typographie said:

It shouldn't make a considerable difference.

I know you wanted us to consider this independently of the CPUs, but I'll just say that I don't believe there's a practical gaming scenario that demands anything more than a 5820K/6800K, and I'd personally only consider those if heavy content creation was a primary focus of the system. The 6700K is one of the fastest gaming CPUs available.

^ answer I was looking for. Thanks, guy.

5 minutes ago, Joshe343 said:

It was a hypothetical. I had to come up with a way of asking about PCI-E performance and didn't know how to put it into words at the time.

Example:

"is there a gaming performance difference between PCIe 3.0 8x and 16x?"

:)

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Example:

"is there a gaming performance difference between PCIe 3.0 8x and 16x?"

:)

Yeah, fair enough lol.