I7 vs I5 for next Gen Gaming

When you code for 8 APU-Like Cores, we're having a total different conversation.

I think HT will be a bigger deal from now on.

Please read my AMD cores vs Intel cores thread and Console Optimisations and how they will effect you , then begin posting...

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

just got a i5-4670k and are tinking in getting a intel 6/8 core in maybe 1,5 years - 2 years (if they exist by then)

Get a I5 3570K or a I5 4670K if you have the budget if not get a FX 8320 i do not recommend a 8350 its the sames as the 8320 just over clock it to 4ghz & save 50$.

You know, the FX-8350 can overclock too :P  Crank it up to 4.6 or 4.8 if you like, most can do that if I remember correctly....

You know, the FX-8350 can overclock too :P Crank it up to 4.6 or 4.8 if you like, most can do that if I remember correctly....

I thought that wasn't the case as much anymore with their 5ghz CPU's

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

i7 doesn't have any more cores than an i5 (LGA 1150 SKUs anyway).

It has more threads which r like cores, theoretical cores 

I'm gonna be "that guy" and just leave this here for everyone that just TL:DR'd Glenwing's post on the last page about hyperthreading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnS50lJicXc

Hyperthreading is NOT more cores.  Current games do not take advantage of hyperthreading.  Future games MAY take advantage of hyperthreading, however that is hard to say because most of the talk as of late seems to be about games optimizing for cores, not threads.  An i7 is a good investment if you are running programs that will benefit from hyperthreading such as (much of) the adobe suite, and other professional software.  For gaming, an i5 is all you could possibly need.  They are extremely powerful and capable.  I don't have much experience with AMD's cpus (with the exception of their APUs) so i don't really have much to say about them, however, im sure they are perfectly capable. 

TD:DR - if youre building this rig just game game on, an i5 is all you will need.  If you plan on doing video editing, photo editing, etc, and i7 would be worth the investment.  Also hyperthreading =/= more cores.

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

I've checked some benches earlier and...

PassMark CPU Mark - October 2013

Mooshi's Core i5 2500 @ 4.5Ghz OC'd  8,226 / Intel Core i5 2500K (quadcore) 6,370 *stock* 3.3Ghz

AMD FX-8350 (8-core) *stock* 4.0Ghz 9,086 (Q4 2012)
Intel Core i5 2500K (quadcore) OC'd 4.5Ghz 8,226 - (Q1 2011)
AMD FX-8320 (8-core) *stock*  3.5Ghz 8,169  (Q4 2012)
AMD FX-6300 (6-Core) *stock* 3.5Ghz 6,369 (Q4 2012)

This old quadcore is still keeping up with the higher cores. :V

I still thrash AMD on the single threaded performance, but not bad for the multithreading all things considered with a non HT chip from 2011.

AMD FX 8350 / 8320 isn't a 'real' 8-core either

AMD FX 8350 / 8320 draw significantly more power

Although future games might use more cores, not everything in games is parallelizable (aka multi-threadable), many of those 'side-calculations' are probably less complex and you won't see 100% usage on all you cores. Futhermore not only the count of processor cores but rather the total performance for all cores is.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Listen every one i dont want an AMD processor i want an z87 motherboard like the asus gryphon because of the armor kit OKKKKKKKOKKKKKK

I already answered this, read the last post on the first page.

Sorry i was ragging and thank u for the descriptive answer it was incredibly useful but just to clarify u dont think the I7 isn't better because games don't recognize the threads properly but we don't know yet for future games  

Listen every one i dont want an AMD processor i want an z87 motherboard like the asus gryphon because of the armor kit OKKKKKKKOKKKKKK

Well get a Haswell i5 then.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

That a cool board.  I like the thermal armor :I  anyway.... If this rig is a predominantly gaming rig, then get and i5.  If you plan on running other complex programs and whatnot, (like video editing) then you will benefit from an i7.  At this point in time you WILL NOT benefit from hyperthreading in videogames, which is the ONLY difference in the i5 and i7.  Also as someone stated earlier, hyperthreading can actually decrease  performance (although marginally) in some games.

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

Please read my AMD cores vs Intel cores thread and Console Optimisations and how they will effect you , then begin posting...

No thanks, i saw actual benchmarks showing tangible performance boosts over an i5, it's sufficient.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

Read what @Glenwing posted. It better explains what I was trying to say.

The thing is, even if HT doesn't represent that much of a performance boost, it is still a thread, and can effectively being taken advantage of.

In the context of coding light code that gets heavily multi-threaded on the 8 Core CPU (which i'm sure two of will be easily outdone by a theoritical single-core Hyperthreaded Intel Haswell CPU) (of the porting is done properly on PC) this may result in actual percievable results.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

The thing is, even if HT doesn't represent that much of a performance boost, it is still a thread, and can effectively being taken advantage of.

In the context of coding light code that gets heavily multi-threaded on the 8 Core CPU (which i'm sure two of will be easily outdone by a theoritical single-core Hyperthreaded Intel Haswell CPU) (of the porting is done properly on PC) this may result in actual percievable results.

You can't think of hyperthreading as increasing the performance.  Physically, there aren't any more transistors on an i7 than on an i5.  The max amount of calculations it is possible for it to do is no different between the two chips.

What hyperthreading does is not to increase performance, but to prevent performance decrease, by holding backup tasks for cores to do whenever a thread is stalled.  When the CPU is being used inefficiently, hyperthreading recycles the lost CPU time and uses it for something else in the meantime, to reclaim the efficiency, whereas on an i5 that unused CPU time would remain unused and simply go down the drain.

Of course, if the program is such that the CPU is already making efficient use of its resources, then there is nothing being lost for hyperthreading to recover.  The CPU is already operating at high capacity.

This is the case with games, the CPU cycles are already being used efficiently.  "Optimizing code for hyperthreading" would essentially consist of taking a step backwards in game programming and writing games to be less efficient, so that hyperthreading can recover that lost efficiency and bring performance back to where it should have been in the first place if it had been programmed efficiently... If that makes any sense.

i5 and i7 = almost identical performance. In some cases the i7 even performs slightly less. 

I would say go with the 8350 it just seems the better option for "Next Gen" games.

RTX2070OC 

Except the i7 has hyperthreading, and next gen games seem to support more cores.

But isn't a single Intel core equal to two AMD cores or something?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

You can't think of hyperthreading as increasing the performance.  Physically, there aren't any more transistors on an i7 than on an i5.  The max amount of calculations it is possible for it to do is no different between the two chips.

What hyperthreading does is not to increase performance, but to prevent performance decrease, by holding backup tasks for cores to do whenever a thread is stalled.  When the CPU is being used inefficiently, hyperthreading recycles the lost CPU time and uses it for something else in the meantime, to reclaim the efficiency, whereas on an i5 that unused CPU time would remain unused and simply go down the drain.

Of course, if the program is such that the CPU is already making efficient use of its resources, then there is nothing being lost for hyperthreading to recover.  The CPU is already operating at high capacity.

This is the case with games, the CPU cycles are already being used efficiently.  "Optimizing code for hyperthreading" would essentially consist of taking a step backwards in game programming and writing games to be less efficient, so that hyperthreading can recover that lost efficiency and bring performance back to where it should have been in the first place if it had been programmed efficiently... If that makes any sense.

Basically HT is a queueing technology or something right?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

i7 for sure! You can see that BF4 has better fps with i7 comparing to i5 and I believe i7 will be better for future games.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

It's not simple. Intel tends to have more powerful cores though.

Basically HT is a queueing technology or something right?

In short, yes. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A single Intel core is as large an AMD Module (two cores), but an AMD Module is roughly 50% more powerful than an Intel core.

More in-depth info here for anyone interested : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48571-intel-amd-architectural-discussion-how-far-ahead-intel-really-is/

Each AMD module has two integer clusters and one floating point unit.  Games do like floating point so in that regard it's similar to a quad-core, however integer performance still counts, so it's an 8-core in that area.  Can't really call it a quad or an 8-core, it's both, for different types of operations.

AMD_Bulldozer_block_diagram_%288_core_CP