I7 vs I5 for next Gen Gaming

You can't think of hyperthreading as increasing the performance.  Physically, there aren't any more transistors on an i7 than on an i5.  The max amount of calculations it is possible for it to do is no different between the two chips.

What hyperthreading does is not to increase performance, but to prevent performance decrease, by holding backup tasks for cores to do whenever a thread is stalled.  When the CPU is being used inefficiently, hyperthreading recycles the lost CPU time and uses it for something else in the meantime, to reclaim the efficiency, whereas on an i5 that unused CPU time would remain unused and simply go down the drain.

Of course, if the program is such that the CPU is already making efficient use of its resources, then there is nothing being lost for hyperthreading to recover.  The CPU is already operating at high capacity.

This is the case with games, the CPU cycles are already being used efficiently.  "Optimizing code for hyperthreading" would essentially consist of taking a step backwards in game programming and writing games to be less efficient, so that hyperthreading can recover that lost efficiency and bring performance back to where it should have been in the first place if it had been programmed efficiently... If that makes any sense.

Ok i admit that i'm wrong, sorry for the misinformed post.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

i5 or 8350 between them

CPU:Intel i7 2700k OC @4.9Ghz cooled by custom water loop with xpsc dual240 rads, xpsc block and 750 pump/res|Ram:G-Skill RipJaw X 32GB 1866Mhz|Case: Corsair 750D|Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth Z77| Hard drive: 240GB Kingston SSD, Seagate 2TB, 1TB Hitachi |GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC cooled by custom water loop with xpsc gtx 770 block|PSU: Corsair HX750|Monitor: LG 27 inch IPS LED Cinema| Sound Card: Creative Fatal1ty X-FI professional| Build log:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64792-just-finished-off-first-watercooled-rig/

AMD FX 8350 / 8320 isn't a 'real' 8-core either

AMD FX 8350 / 8320 draw significantly more power

Although future games might use more cores, not everything in games is parallelizable (aka multi-threadable), many of those 'side-calculations' are probably less complex and you won't see 100% usage on all you cores. Futhermore not only the count of processor cores but rather the total performance for all cores is.

This, this, this!

I would also like to add that games indeed use more FPU-based calculations than ALU-based and just to remind you:

FX 83xx has 4 FPUs, 8 ALUs.

i5 has 4 FPUs, 4 ALUs.

i7 has 4 FPUs, 4 ALUs and can feed them faster than i5 creating potential 1 additional thread per each core.

If one does not overclock, the ultimate 'nextgen' cpu imho would be Xeon E3-1230v3 (this is cheaper Haswell I7 4770 without iGPU basically).

If one overclocks, either i7 4770k or FX 83xx. (but with FX 83xx you lose single thread performance).

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

In PC there is not next gen brother....

It's all about winning. 

I would go for the AMD 8350 for next gen, really cheap and also form what i have heard of mantle it would be the best choice for gaming.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

i'm having a hard time which one to get too. 

If rumours are correct then AMD might be a better option

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICVeN6WEGgg

FX 8350 4.6 ghz loses vs i5 3570k 4.2 ghz :D AMD is never better choice unless you talk about graphics cards

4670k 4.5 ghz will beat any AMD OCed to max for 24/7 :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.