I7 vs I5 for next Gen Gaming

Hey linustechtips forms i have a burning question. Is it worth getting the I7 over the I5 for gaming with Amd's new graphics cards?

I will be playing games like battlefield 4 when it fully comes out. I can afford the I7 but if there is not that much of a difference in the gaming performance like there was in the past i would get the I5 however i have heard that the next gen games will have better support for more threads.... I7 :)

But

I'd personally go with an 8350.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Budget ?

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

8350 but there will probably be 6-8 core intels next gen

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

If rumours are correct then AMD might be a better option

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

If your budget allows for it, go for the i7. Mantle is going to utilise more cores, coincidentally, the i7 has more cores for the purpose of this post :)

(AMD's offering is pretty good too, but it doesn't really perform as well as Intel's i7s)

EDIT: I also like that Intel parts don't consume much power; I am all for the 80+ thing and I think there is premise for an argument that you save power.

Edited by tomlambert01

Compatible with Windows 95

An i5 will game pretty much the same as the i7.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If your budget allows for it, go for the i7. Mantle is going to utilise more cores, coincidentally, the i7 has more cores for the purpose of this post :)

(AMD's offering is pretty good too, but it doesn't really perform as well as Intel's i7s)

EDIT: I also like that Intel parts don't consume much power; I am all for the 80+ thing and I think there is premise for an argument that you save power.

i7 doesn't have any more cores than an i5 (LGA 1150 SKUs anyway).

An i5 will game pretty much the same as the i7.

Except the i7 has hyperthreading, and next gen games seem to support more cores.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

i7 doesn't have any more cores than an i5 (LGA 1150 SKUs anyway).

I agree, but Windows sees i7s as 8-Core parts, and they perform better than i5s generally. I would recommend one for Mantle as it is going to use more threads, so by that logic, the i7 is superior.

NOTE: I would recommend an i5 if the budget could not stretch to an i7.

Compatible with Windows 95

i5 will be enough really. i7 more for rendering etc.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Except the i7 has hyperthreading, and next gen games seem to support more cores.

Hyperthreading is not more cores. It's more threads and games aren't really taking much advantage of HT.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just want to point out that the i7 is a quad core processor with hyperthreading it is not a 8 core processor thus doesn't truly have more cores.

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

Hyperthreading is not more cores. It's more threads and games aren't really taking much advantage of HT.

I know they are only threads, but they act as cores. I bet next gen games will support threads.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I hope you really read the topic, he said next-gen gaming, the more threads you have, the more it helps.

Even if it doesn't deliver FULL 4 Cores Speed, it certainly contribute to performance and Intel won't probably need more than that to compete with AMD, an 8 Core of their line barely beats an i5 from Intel's line, the i7 basically destroys it, more robust and single-threaded capable cores are always a must for me.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

I know they are only threads, but they act as cores. I bet next gen games will support threads.

HT is already supported by some games--it's just not that effective. Even programs optimized to take advantage of hyperthreading only get ~20-30% performance over no HT. Games are much less optimized. Not worth the $100 difference.

@ It's not much of a difference with HT.

I agree, but Windows sees i7s as 8-Core parts, and they perform better than i5s generally. I would recommend one for Mantle as it is going to use more threads, so by that logic, the i7 is superior.

NOTE: I would recommend an i5 if the budget could not stretch to an i7.

That's a reasonable deduction but unfortunately hyperthreading is a bit more complex than just magically generating performance; it works by reclaiming lost efficiency in the cores, but how efficiently the processor is running (and so, how much unused processing power there is to harness) depends on the type of work it is doing.  Gaming as a category has never really taken meaningful benefit from hyperthreading even in the most recent games, and the technology has been around since Pentium 4.  The type of threads that games generate are typically very heavy, continuous, and with relatively little RAM I/O, which all together makes efficient use of the cores, and so there is very little for hyperthreading to make use of.  And unless gaming type applications' logic changes at a very fundamental level, there never will be.

We already know plenty of games that are optimized to make great use of 4 cores, and a dual-core does bottleneck powerful graphics cards; and if you look at benchmarks on these games with Pentium vs i3 (dual-core/dual-threads vs dual-core/quad threads) the performance increase, when there is any at all, very rarely breaks single digits.  When you move up to an i5 (quad core/quad threads) the performance increase is astronomical, even though no threads have even been added over an i3; the two hyperthreaded cores are just upgraded to physical ones, so to speak.

Hyperthreading has been known to even decrease performance sometimes.

HT is already supported by some games--it's just not that effective. Even programs optimized to take advantage of hyperthreading only get ~20-30% performance over no HT. Games are much less optimized. Not worth the $100 difference.

@ It's not much of a difference with HT.

When you code for 8 APU-Like Cores, we're having a total different conversation.

I think HT will be a bigger deal from now on.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

When you code for 8 APU-Like Cores, we're having a total different conversation.

I think HT will be a bigger deal from now on.

Read what @Glenwing posted. It better explains what I was trying to say.

I think you should take either 8350 or i7 for next gen games because they will utilise more cores probably... Personally I would take 8350 because its way cheaper(for me its like 160$ difference between i7 and 8350) and will probably perform the about the same as i7, but I would go i7 because its performs better at heavily multi threaded apps... But we should wait a bit more until any good opinions, wait for BF4 release because it should be way more optimized and then we should be able to see which one is better... Well I think i5 wont be enough for next gen games...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

I think you should take either 8350 or i7 for next gen games because they will utilise more cores probably... Personally I would take 8350 because its way cheaper(for me its like 160$ difference between i7 and 8350) and will probably perform the about the same as i7, but I would go i7 because its performs better at heavily multi threaded apps... But we should wait a bit more until any good opinions, wait for BF4 release because it should be way more optimized and then we should be able to see which one is better... Well I think i5 wont be enough for next gen games...

the 3570k/4670k i5's will be more than enough for next gen games

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

There needs to be benchmarks to show how much hyperthreading is used on next gen games... Till then we really don't know. Battlefield4 seems to benefit at least a little in benchmarks.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log