I7 7500U Review

25 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

They're based on the Apollo Lake architecture. but quad core Celeron and Pentium do exist. Almost got fooled once with their rebadging of Atoms to Pentiums. lol

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 8/30/2016 at 1:01 PM, GoodBytes said:

Looks like it still doesn't have DP 1.3, or USB 3.1 Gen 2 native support. What a shame. Guess I'll wait for next model to replace my Core i7 930. Not interested in half baked products. Hopefully it won't have the mass number of issues that Skylake had as a starting point.

What issues?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

They're based on the Apollo Lake architecture. but quad core Celeron and Pentium do exist. Almost got fooled once with their rebading of Atoms to Pentiums. lol

Hence the statement of not based on the full Core-line Architectures... 

Also a pentium atom isn't going to be labeled as a -U so that still works.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Hence the statement of not based on the full Core-line Architectures...

Also a pentium atom isn't going to be labeled as a -U so that still works.

Yeah, they're labeled with a J or N. My first netbook run on a Intel Atom with Nvidia ION graphics. Thing was slow and it died. Need a replacement, so I went to check out them new ones. Saw new netbooks with Pentium CPUs and I thought, okay maybe these will be better than their Atoms. Did a wiki search and found out they're based on the same architecture as the crappy Atom!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Yeah, they're labeled with a J or N. My first netbook run on a Intel Atom with Nvidia ION graphics. Thing was slow and it died. Need a replacement, so I went to check out them new ones. Saw new netbooks with Pentium CPUs and I thought, okay maybe these will be better than their Atoms. Did a wiki search and found out they're based on the same architecture as the crappy Atom!

Yea. I'd highly recommend everyone stick away anything less than the -U series chips (including the -Y, and J/N) for mobile devices.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

26 minutes ago, Lays said:

What issues?

Ignoring all the issues related to the IGP of the CPU on the mobile side, until very recently most issues where worked around via firmware upgrades and drivers (no actual fix). The CPU thinner circuit board that contains the actual CPU die, is too thin. Intel tried to cut costs, and as a result heatsinks can damage the CPU. Issue with the built-in USB 3.0 controller causes the inability to boot certain OSs in certain ways (need to use another USB 3.0 controller if the motherboard supports, or USB 2.0). Under certain work load scenarios, no matter the OS (Linux included) the chip itself can freeze. There is no fix, just a patch that Intel released for motherboard manufacture and OEMs to implement in their BIOS. No information is performance remains, Intel doesn't answer that question, so probably there is a reduction to some level. Sorry, but for the cost, they better be perfect. Especially that these kind of issues where not there before. I expect this next gen chip to have these issues actually solved.

7 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yea. I'd highly recommend everyone stick away anything less than the -U series chips (including the -Y, and J/N) for mobile devices.

Yea. For me it is -U i5 as minimum I recommend with an SSD on any system. Sure it costs more, but ensures the best experience, even if you just "web surf" and use "Office". The performance gain is visible, in just using the system (especially thanks the SSD)

Yea. For me it is -U i5 as minimum I recommend with an SSD on any system. Sure it costs more, but ensures the best experience, even if you just "web surf" and use "Office". The performance gain is visible, in just using the system (especially thanks the SSD)

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ignoring all the issues related to the IGP of the CPU on the mobile side, until very recently most issues where worked around via firmware upgrades and drivers (no actual fix). The CPU thinner circuit board that contains the actual CPU die, is too thin. Intel tried to cut costs, and as a result heatsinks can damage the CPU. Issue with the built-in USB 3.0 controller causes the inability to boot certain OSs in certain ways (need to use another USB 3.0 controller if the motherboard supports, or USB 2.0). Under certain work load scenarios, no matter the OS (Linux included) the chip itself can freeze. There is no fix, just a patch that Intel released for motherboard manufacture and OEMs to implement in their BIOS. No information is performance remains, Intel doesn't answer that question, so probably there is a reduction to some level. Sorry, but for the cost, they better be perfect. Especially that these kind of issues where not there before. I expect this next gen chip to have these issues actually solved.

You know technically speaking... the only heatsinks that broke dies were ones that were out of spec. A spec that had been in place for a decade.

Also the majority of your other issues aren't really issues either. The USB3.0 issue isn't new (literally been a thing since it's inception) and it isn't Intel's fault. Microcode update for skylake did go out on Windows OS's not just from bios and having to do that isn't new either....

If you want reasons to not upgrade, cool. But just saying.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

You know technically speaking... the only heatsinks that broke dies were ones that were out of spec. A spec that had been in place for a decade.

Also the majority of your other issues aren't really issues either. The USB3.0 issue isn't new (literally been a thing since it's inception) and it isn't Intel's fault. Microcode update for skylake did go out on Windows OS's not just from bios and having to do that isn't new either....

If you want reasons to not upgrade, cool. But just saying.

I am voting with my wallet. I don't support low quality products, especially at that price. These issue could have been actually fixed with revision of chips, but that costs money.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I am voting with my wallet. I don't support low quality products, especially at that price. These issue could have been actually fixed with revision of chips, but that costs money.

And results in this:

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/42174/Haswell#@All

But you know... what's consumer confusion between friends...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The only people i've seen bending/breaking their chips were those articles that first came out about some guy that used a drill, and heatsinks that were out of spec. I have my chip delidded with the IHS just floating on top of it, and have remounted tons of heatsinks on it, not once have I had any type of bend issues, I've even mounted LN2 pots on it with wonky mounting hardware, no issues.

Do you mean windows 7 not having the drivers for it?  There's tools that will add the driver into the ISO, so you can install them.

I'm not understanding how your reasoning makes them "low quality" parts, my chip has been absolutely solid and I've never experienced issues with it, even at 1.75v at -70c. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

21 minutes ago, Lays said:

Do you mean windows 7 not having the drivers for it?  There's tools that will add the driver into the ISO, so you can install them.

No, I am saying that it won't even boot your USB flash drive to start with. You need to use another USB 3.0 controller, then it will work. So unless your motherboard manufacture did some hacking, or just plain uses it's own controller instead of Intel, it won't boot. I don't know if it applies for both UEFI and legacy mode BIOS, or just legacy BIOS. This was known way before the chip was released. Intel could have worked on it before and do a small delay to fix it before mass producing the chip.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

No, I am saying that it won't even boot your USB flash drive to start with. You need to use another USB 3.0 controller, then it will work. So unless your motherboard manufacture did some hacking, or just plain uses it's own controller instead of Intel, it won't boot.

Don't most boards use Asmedia on some ports, and intel on the rest?

Just now, GoodBytes said:

No, I am saying that it won't even boot your USB flash drive to start with. You need to use another USB 3.0 controller, then it will work. So unless your motherboard manufacture did some hacking, or just plain uses it's own controller instead of Intel, it won't boot.

Don't most boards use Asmedia on some ports, and intel on the rest?  Isn't that the chipset / board manufacturer, not the CPU at fault?

5 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

There are quad cores Pentium and Celerons.

which are basically atoms...(not the old shitty single core ones, the baytrail ones which aren't too bad IMO)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

which are basically atoms...(not the old shitty single core ones, the baytrail ones which aren't too bad IMO)

Yes, their Atoms, just like that Xeon Phi system Linus is getting from SuperMicro.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes, their Atoms, just like that Xeon Phi system Linus is getting from SuperMicro.

I don't mind them as they are "powerful enough" for the price and whatnot (like come on, you can get a 50 quid windows tablet with that while being good enough for media consumption and whatever :P)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

6 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes,  but those are based on the same architecture as atoms.  They're just glorified tablet processors. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Yes,  but those are based on the same architecture as atoms.  They're just glorified tablet processors. 

Don' matter the point was they do exist. And it was already mentioned they are based on the Atom. Atom vs Itanium. Hmmm tough choice. :P

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

9 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Don' matter the point was they do exist. And it was already mentioned they are based on the Atom. Atom vs Itanium. Hmmm tough choice. :P

Itanium is way cooler than atom imo.  But not really as useful... 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes but those are Atom based. They're not from the Core I series

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes but those are Atom based. They're not from the Core I series

You're 24 post late on that. :P

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Kaby lake is on ark.intel
http://ark.intel.com/products/95451/Intel-Core-i7-7500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz- 
No quad core Kaby-Lake has been released yet, they are all dual cores

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.