Best choice of GPU for "console killer"

Go to solution Solved by Biggerboot,
2 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

I'm only going to be doing 1080p and not that much demanding games, the most demanding might be like Fallout 4

If you want to compare a 2gb 950 and 4gb 960 in FO4 maxed, here you go.

Neither break 2gb vram here. 

Hey everyone, I'm building a "console killer" machine and I'm having trouble deciding on a GPU, I was thinking on an RX470 but I don't know if the PSU will handle it. I'm looking to spend around $150-200. Thanks for the advice.

PC so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($38.88 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $438.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-28 23:20 EDT-0400

Would highly recommend going for a GTX 960 on ebay for around $160. Anything to much more powerful then that might cause some bottlenecking but I personally always go the Nvidia path.. Call me Linus Sebastian.. Jk 

Buy a 1060 6GB and get a Win 10 key from dealscube for $18.

Also, I would buy a different PSU since the one in the 202 is pretty bad. You can also buy the case without the PSU.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Hey everyone, I'm building a "console killer" machine and I'm having trouble deciding on a GPU, I was thinking on an RX470 but I don't know if the PSU will handle it. I'm looking to spend around $150-200. Thanks for the advice.

PC so far:

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($38.88 @ OutletPC) 

The PSU in the Node 202 is really, really bad. I would highly recommend getting a Corsair SF450 and an RX470 and you'll be good to go.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

PC so far:

Definitely grab a new PSU. Then pick up a 470. I suppose that technically an R7 370, GTX 950 or GTX 960 could be console-killer GPUs...but when the 470 is out there, why bother with older stuff?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Buy a 1060 6GB and get a Win 10 key from dealscube for $18.

Also, I would buy a different PSU since the one in the 202 is pretty bad. You can also buy the case without the PSU.

Wouldn't the 1060 6GB go way past my budget? I haven't seen one below $240.

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Also don't pay 80 bucks for windows use kinguin or G2A since it's like 20 bucks (just get they insurance)

I got Windows from Kinguin for $20 some.

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The PSU in the Node 202 is really, really bad. I would highly recommend getting a Corsair SF450 and an RX470 and you'll be good to go.

Well, this sucks because I already got the case, I'll see if I can come up with more money to replace it soon but for now, It'll have to do, at least a month or two.

4 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Well, this sucks because I already got the case, I'll see if I can come up with more money to replace it soon but for now, It'll have to do, at least a month or two.

Eeeeeerrrrrr no, please replace before adding a GPU, you have your priorities backwards. Within time a 470 will cost even less too.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Eeeeeerrrrrr no, please replace before adding a GPU, you have your priorities backwards. Within time a 470 will cost even less too.

I'll see if I can send it back still. And I've been keeping an eye on the RX 470, but the only at the $200 mark is the Asus Strix and I heard Asus doesn't do well with AMD cards.

GTX 950 for just a console killer.  It's not the great value it use to be, but if you want to stay in budget it's probably the only thing in your reach.  It also doesn't consume much power.

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Integra is that bad?  I thought it was on par with the old CX.  Even a CX could handle a low end GPU, no?

Just now, Biggerboot said:

GTX 950 for just a console killer.  It's not the great value it use to be, but if you want to stay in budget it's probably the only thing in your reach.  It also doesn't consume much power.

Integra is that bad?  I thought it was on par with the CX.

No, the integrated one with the Node 202 is absolutely trash. I've never seen a PSU where so many owners, whether established ones in the tech reviewer sorts of community, and normal people included, have had so many completely fail on them. Either way, the Corsair SF450 is drastically better and I can't recommend using the integrated PSU.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

No, the integrated one with the Node 202 is absolutely trash. I've never seen a PSU where so many owners, whether established ones in the tech reviewer sorts of community, and normal people included, have had so many completely fail on them. Either way, the Corsair SF450 is drastically better and I can't recommend using the integrated PSU.

Well I'll take your word for it.  Is this the same with the ATX version of the Integra, or just the sfx version?

Well I'll take your word for it.  Is this the same with the ATX version of the Integra, or just the sfx version?

ATX is better by quite a lot. SFX is just the odd one out.

750 ti is pretty good.

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

5 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Ok.  Do you know if this is the same PSU (just without the integra name?).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256097&cm_re=sfx_psu-_-17-256-097-_-Product

No, that's a different PSU, I do believe, although they're both SFX designs from FSP so it's possible.

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

No, that's a different PSU, I do believe, although they're both SFX designs from FSP so it's possible.

I do notice those aren't modular, so they're *not the 'exact' same.  Also 4 eggs, but it's funny that SS would just throw in a crappy PSU.  I honestly thought it to be the same one.

You sure these guys aren't putting 980 ti's in their nodes? :P

(jk)

I do notice those aren't modular, so they're the 'exact' same.  Also 4 eggs, but it's funny that SS would just throw in a crappy PSU.  I honestly thought it to be the same one.

You sure these guys aren't putting 980 ti's in their nodes? :P

(jk)

Silverstone has a lot of crap PSUs tbh

Also you'd be surprised xD

So back to the original topic, an RX 470 or 1060 would be fine in the system? I'm scared a 450W PSU can't deliver enough power, although those cards are supposed to run under 200W.

1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

So back to the original topic, an RX 470 or 1060 would be fine in the system? I'm scared a 450W PSU can't deliver enough power, although those cards are supposed to run under 200W.

I'd say if you're going to take a shot on the PSU, get a 750 ti or 6-pinless 950 (those do exist).  They'll consume far less, and the RX cards draw more than their advertised tdp for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I'd say if you're going to take a shot on the PSU, get a 750 ti or 6-pinless 950 (those do exist).  They'll consume far less, and the RX cards draw more than their advertised tdp for some reason.

I was thinking that when I began but I feel that's too low end maybe? Was looking I to buying used 960 or something like that instead. 

Just now, Miguel552 said:

I was thinking that when I began but I feel that's too low end maybe? Was looking I to buying used 960 or something like that instead. 

That's up to you.  A 950 is ~90% what a 960 is just so you know.  Similar to how the 970 is a slightly reduced 980.

5 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

That's up to you.  A 950 is ~90% what a 960 is just so you know.  Similar to how the 970 is a slightly reduced 980.

How about 950 vs 750ti? I really don't want to go too old, rather be 1 gen behind than 2.

4 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

How about 950 vs 750ti? I really don't want to go too old, rather be 1 gen behind than 2.

The 950 is about 25-30% faster.  They are on the same architecture (maxwell).  One is just lower end.