How to get the best Benchmarks?

Is there a way to get better benchmarks by killing background processes? Does it affect performance if background processes are open? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I am asking this because I got a lower score one Cinebench, but the Ghz was the same.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Yes, open background processes can harm performance, but everything, including Cinebench will have some margin of error in it so it is very difficult to get really consistent results.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

Yes, open background processes can harm performance, but everything, including Cinebench will have some margin of error in it so it is very difficult to get really consistent results.

Well it was a 40 point difference. .07% ish

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

If you really want a higher score on benchmarks, the biggest impact wil be gained by disabling your virus scanners and stuff like windows aero. It really does affect scores, it may give on average 0,1% higher but that does mean your best score in a lot of runs wil actually be 0,1% higher and if you're after high results that can make a lot of difference.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

Disabling background processes and such to obtain a high score is only really useful if you're trying to compete for a record. But overall system performance is inappreciably impacted. If it was appreciably impacted, either something is going on to trigger said process or the process is broke.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Disabling background processes and such to obtain a high score is only really useful if you're trying to compete for a record. But overall system performance is inappreciably impacted. If it was appreciably impacted, either something is going on to trigger said process or the process is broke.

7 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

If you really want a higher score on benchmarks, the biggest impact wil be gained by disabling your virus scanners and stuff like windows aero. It really does affect scores, it may give on average 0,1% higher but that does mean your best score in a lot of runs wil actually be 0,1% higher and if you're after high results that can make a lot of difference.

What about programs such as Steam, Rainmeter, Hwinfo, Flux, Or Origin?

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, BiscuitMassacre said:

What about programs such as Steam, Rainmeter, Hwinfo, Flux, Or Origin?

Steam and Origin should minimally impact the system if they're minimized. Task Manager pegs both at using 0.1%, if using anything at all.

Anything monitoring your system will use a little more, depending on the frequency it polls the system. I don't have HWInfo, but I am using HWMonitor and it's using about 0.5%.

However, this is also when my processor is floating around at 1.3-1.4GHz, so if it ramps up, usage is going to be less.

37 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Is there a way to get better benchmarks by killing background processes? Does it affect performance if background processes are open? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I am asking this because I got a lower score one Cinebench, but the Ghz was the same.

A great way to avoid this all together is to run a separate Windows install for testing and benchmarking.   This could be a completely separate drive or simply an additional partition with another copy of Windows on it.  I choose to run separate versions of Windows (7, 8.1, and 2 x 10) each on their own SSD.  Benchmarks perform differently on different version of Windows so I just use them all if I need to.

The biggest reason to use a separate OS isn't necessarily for a better score.  I don't like letting my daily OS install repeatedly crash, which is what happens when you start pushing your overclocks to the limits.  I'd rather do all of the repeated crashing on a drive that I don't count on.  Funny things start to happen to Windows files when your repeatedly BSOD.  :D

The added bonus is that your benchmarking OS is fairly light and not cluttered with resource consuming software.

After manually closing programs, I was able to go from 613cb to 665 cb. Pretty impressive improvement. 

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 minute ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

After manually closing programs, I was able to go from 613cb to 665 cb. Pretty impressive improvement. 

Go into task manager and set Cinebench to "realtime" and retry the test.