First "expensive" headphones, What do i buy?

xLmarley

Hi, im after some advice on what headphones to choose.     Id like to spend around £300 so quite a large budget.   I will be using them for gaming but i also want good sound reproduction for listening to music. So i think that means i need the highest frequency range that i can get but with bigger than average drivers so i can crank the bass for gaming.    Im not an expert but that is what I have gathered from the reading i have done recently.     Any advice you can give me or any models that you can suggest would be great.      What im considering at the moment:  ATH-A990Z or the ATH-M70x from audio technica.  

Thanks.

Deffently not listen to that guy.

Where do you like to have focus in your sound aka sound signature

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Deffently not listen to that guy.

Where do you like to have focus in your sound aka sound signature

24/7 Female PC Gamer. I doubt that's a guy

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

24/7 Female PC Gamer. I doubt that's a guy

I don't really care if it is a guy or a girl, he/she clearly knows jack shit about audio and should just stay away

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Don't get 7.1 Headset or any Headset branded as "gaming" or a headset at all. Get headphones.

M70X is stupid because it is basically a M50X with less bass and more neutral sound along with some metal.

ATH-A990Z  is a great option but you might end up needing a amplifier 

Beyerdynamic DT-990 along with AMP and DAC and a Mic (for gaming) are also great option

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Also you don't need "bass" boost as there is a free software called Equalizer APO which you can use to tune your headphones

Do stuff like edit bass amplify sound and stuff

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

I'll advise against the ATH-A990Z since they are closed headphones(less sound stage). Unless you are in a noisy environment or planning on using them outside don't get those.

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

3 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

i feel so stupid.. i didnt read your post well enough.
HEADPHONES right right.. xD 

-Senheiser Momentum  for 199 euro
-Senheiser CX 5 FOR bugdet..

I tried out some sennheiser momentum 2s today and though the sound was real good they didnt feel substantial enough to block out the loud noises that riddle my gaming space, aka dogs barking and old people watching TV with the volume at 100% lol.  

6 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

Also you don't need "bass" boost as there is a free software called Equalizer APO which you can use to tune your headphones

Yes i have bought into all those jazz words before with my previous headphone purchaces haha.     Thanks i will definitely look more into the A990Zs 

23 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

Don't get 7.1 Headset or any Headset branded as "gaming" or a headset at all. Get headphones.

M70X is stupid because it is basically a M50X with less bass and more neutral sound along with some metal.

ATH-A990Z  is a great option but you might end up needing a amplifier 

Beyerdynamic DT-990 along with AMP and DAC and a Mic (for gaming) are also great option

Ok im looking at the Beyerdynamic DT-990 and i can see different versions of them with different OHM ratings. I know ohms is resistance so they will need more power to drive them but i dont understand what higher resistance will do for the sound.   

12 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

How cocky..
Its all about knowledge.
You may knew something that i dont. and i may knew something that you dont.
So if you knew something that i dont.. by all means share the knowledge.
you just break the rules of " DONT BE A DICK by Wil Wheaton " 

So please Grow Up.

It is very clear to see that you know nothing about audio and should not comment on this type of thing

Why? Well because you recommend this

-Corsair Void
-Razer Tiamat
-Steel Series Siberia V2
-logitech G430.

That is basically the worst shit ever even for headsets, the good headsets are these:

HyperX cloud 

Sennheiser Game zero/one

beyerdynamic MX300

ATH-ADG1X

ATH-AG1X

1. That was not me being a dick, that was me saying the truth and the truth hurts sometimes, so grow a pair if you cannot handle it.

2. It is all about knowledge, you would not want a guy that knows jack shit about cars to recommend you a car right? You want someone that knows what he is talking about.

3. Sure you might know something I don't know, but that doesn't matter right here, because it is very clear that I am the one here that knows the most about audio.

OP you really need to find out what sound signature you want.

Also you might want to give these two things a look

oh, sorry i didnt respond sooner.      I listen to quite a bit of metal so id say slightly towards the lower end, as a drummer i want to hear the bass kick but i dont want it anywhere near the fuzzy bass of Beats headphones.    i dont know if that is helpful at all.  

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

OP you really need to find out what sound signature you want.

Also you might want to give these two things a look

Just now, xLmarley said:

oh, sorry i didnt respond sooner.      I listen to quite a bit of metal so id say slightly towards the lower end, as a drummer i want to hear the bass kick but i dont want it anywhere near the fuzzy bass of Beats headphones.    i dont know if that is helpful at all.  

open or closed?

closed.    id like to try open but i know my house is way too loud for that.

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

open or closed?

Wow...That's what happens when a thread goes wrong, I guess. 

13 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

While it's undershooting your budget a bit, I would recommend trying the Beyerdynamic DT770s. 

The sound quality overall is fine, but the low end is really good. 

I would also recommend the Fostex TH-X00, but I have no idea when or if they will return to Massdrop. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

6 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

There are some semi open TH-X00 they are 305£ when they are on massdrop

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7: fairly neutral

AKG K553 Pro: bass and treble boost, still fairly balanced sound

17 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

u were saying "  he/she clearly knows jack shit about audio and should just stay away "
thats not the truth.

It is the truth, you come in and recommend things that are shit and say that they are good, that more or less equals to not knowning a lot about audio, that also just does so that the big audio heads here, have to work harder then. It would be better if you just didn't comment then, if you recommend things like this

Point number 3. are u sure? u are the most superior in terms of audio in this forum? u are not the only one who knows about audio.

I am not the best, that would be SSL, but I am one of the best ones. Also you have done nothing to prove that you know anything about audio, you have really only proven that you know nothing.

from your point number 3. it explain that u are narcissistic teenager.

well I am not and that does not show that I am a narcissistic teenager. Also who is calling people things now?

besides i already re-post to correct myself

You recommend cheap earbuds when OP wants "high end", you also recommend the Momentum those are a bit over price, but good audio quality, those are nice if you go up in looks and a willing to pay a bit extra to get the looks.

u were saying "  he/she clearly knows jack shit about audio and should just stay away "
thats not the truth.
who are u to tell me to stay away?
i have right to answer a question in here.

Point number 3. are u sure? u are the most superior in terms of audio in this forum? u are not the only one who knows about audio.
from your point number 3. it explain that u are narcissistic teenager.

besides i already re-post to correct myself

eUxMkO0.png

VGnveYp.jpg

eZX86YY.jpg

UAtshZv.jpg

uzTORhF.jpg

Ok cool, thats given me something to go off.          Probably a newb question but can anybody tell me the difference between headphones of the same model but with different resistance ratings?  I know they will require more power to drive but i dont know what that means for the sound.     Im willing to buy an amp and any other bits if it mean i get better audio.  

Enough of the drama please.   90% of the comments are bitching and i just wanna learn about headphones.   

4 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

Ok cool, thats given me something to go off.          Probably a newb question but can anybody tell me the difference between headphones of the same model but with different resistance ratings?  I know they will require more power to drive but i dont know what that means for the sound.     Im willing to buy an amp and any other bits if it mean i get better audio.  

oh yes that is fairly easy, normally Ohm doesn't matter that much if at all, because the sensitivety of the driver matters the most (like 95%), but when the driver is the same and only Ohm changes then the headphones gets harder to drive when the Ohm goes up. 

12 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

It depends on the sensitivity. An increase in impedance does NOT mean that more power will be required in all cases.

So again: it depends on the sensitivity. And note that sensitivity can be measured as overall power sensitivity or voltage sensitivity.

The vast, vast majority of headphone amplifiers are voltage sources, which means that they put out the same voltage regardless of the load impedance. So voltage sensitivity is basically a direct indication of how loud a headphone will get from a given source, assuming you know the voltage output of that source.

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

It depends on the sensitivity. An increase in impedance does NOT mean that more power will be required in all cases.

So again: it depends on the sensitivity. And note that sensitivity can be measured as overall power sensitivity or voltage sensitivity.

The vast, vast majority of headphone amplifiers are voltage sources, which means that they put out the same voltage regardless of the load impedance. So voltage sensitivity is basically a direct indication of how loud a headphone will get from a given source, assuming you know the voltage output of that source.

ISvXeFk.jpg

mfLbOnb.jpg

JXUaa5c.png

2h2cVLC.jpg

I2U8lUT.png