PC stolen, any hope?

JDS

Long story short, my PC (which can be found below) was stolen during a move from my college-town apartment to a home with a few friends in the same town.  It had been taken from a storage facility when I had gone home for a summer break, I got a call from the facility explaining that my locker was open and the lock had been removed.  Came back to find that the computer had been stolen.  I have spoken to the storage facility and done all the pleading that can be done, and they were no help. All obvious attempts (insurance, police, etc.) of remedying this have proven no help.  

I apologize for sounding like a whiny teenager, just curious if you guys would have any suggestions for me?  I know this is a tough question, but it just seems silly that I have to take a total loss on this. 

EDIT: Thank you all for the help and sincerity.  RIP to my 780 Ti, got that girl up to 1350Mhz.  

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

What did the terms of service of this storage facility say? Did they have any kind of security? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1.  Read storage T&c's (I mean all of it) and see if they state nothing about accepting no risk to loss of items or that we will provide secure storage

2. take them to court for the cost of the PC + damages for loss of revenue if you use the computer for work

3. ???

4. profit 

@Castdeath97 great minds think alike ^_^

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Does the storage have security cameras? If so, have you filed a police report? They can force the to turn over the footage to try and find the offender. You can also look at potentially suing the storage facility as well depending on the terms of the contract. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

What did the terms of service of this storage facility say? Did they have any kind of security? 

Storage facility manages to remain not liable for my losses.  No additional security besides a locked entrance and individually locked lockers. 

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

1 minute ago, JDS said:

Storage facility manages to remain not liable for my losses.  No additional security besides a locked entrance and individually locked lockers. 

Unfortunately, it sounds like you're not going to be able to get compensation for your loses. You can file a police report and ask to view any security footage of the theft, but that's about it, really. 

2 minutes ago, JDS said:

If there's absolutely no way that the storage facility can be put to blame (When clearly they are at fault), then sadly you're out of options. If the police report goes no where, then there's nothing really you can do. I'm sorry for your loss man, times are hard on all of us, and it sucks to lose something so personal as a custom built computer, or anything for a matter of fact.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Does the storage have security cameras? If so, have you filed a police report? They can force the to turn over the footage to try and find the offender. You can also look at potentially suing the storage facility as well depending on the terms of the contract. 

No security cameras.  

I also suppose it's worth mentioning that I actually have a lawyer friend who did as much (for free) as he could to try and find a hole in the paperwork to abuse.  In whole, it's my fault for selecting a place with very lax security.  

Project Insomnia

7 minutes ago, JDS said:

Ouch. I'm sorry if I may sound rude, but you really brought this to yourself. Always avoid using storage rooms that are insecure like this and always check their terms of service. A storage facility with shitty security and no liability whatsoever is no good for anything. 

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

If there's absolutely no way that the storage facility can be put to blame (When clearly they are at fault), then sadly you're out of options. If the police report goes no where, then there's nothing really you can do. I'm sorry for your loss man, times are hard on all of us, and it sucks to lose something so personal as a custom built computer, or anything for a matter of fact.

Excluding all explicit language, yes, unfortunately so.  

Just have to start grinding on 2.0.

Project Insomnia

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Ouch. I'm sorry if I may sound rude, but you really brought this to yourself. Always avoid using storage rooms that are insecure like this and always check their terms of service. A storage facility with shitty security and no liability whatsoever is no good for anything. 

Totally with you.  Lesson learned I suppose.  

You don't think any company would be kind enough to at least hear the story and send a little love my way, do you?

Project Insomnia

6 minutes ago, JDS said:

No security cameras.  

I also suppose it's worth mentioning that I actually have a lawyer friend who did as much (for free) as he could to try and find a hole in the paperwork to abuse.  In whole, it's my fault for selecting a place with very lax security.  

If they have no security cameras and no security responsibility policies, then I'm sorry to say it, but you're out of luck. Best start saving for Project Insomnia v2.

I know it doesn't mean much from some random forum user, but sorry :(

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, JDS said:

Totally with you.  Lesson learned I suppose.  

You don't think any company would be kind enough to at least hear the story and send a little love my way, do you?

I don't think so, they look like they can't care less about anything- after all they would have placed some security if they did. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something stupid like leave the door open.

Pascal laptops guide

RIP to Project Insomnia, you will be missed. 

I expect you all to propose a memorial toast to my computer at your next meal. 

Project Insomnia

Just now, JDS said:

a-toast.gif

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I'd talk to your lawyers, you were trusting them with your stuff, the fact that their security is crap is not good enough, you still could be able to sue especially if their name, marketing or staff made them sound like they are secure. 

Edit: They should have insurance, chase them up, call them up and saying that you will sue for liabilities and so on. 

Pleading won't do anything, it just makes you look weak. Need to get better defense, cannot do it yourself then hire a lawyer.

Do not be like that man who was injured by a car that drove into his living room, by a woman who had no insurance and got away with it, cause his defense was so weak, he was left to pay the medical bills, for his own injuries.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 21.8.2016 at 0:38 PM, JDS said:

Can it wait till next sunday? I always cook up something fancy on sundays.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

I take it you did not have any renters insurance?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic