How to hook up a monitor to my motherboard.

Knaj
1 minute ago, Knaj said:

I just got another monitor, but I want to hook it up to my motherboard rather than my graphics card. How do I do this?

your motherboard needs to have a vga or dvi port.

My Build:

I7 4770k(3.7Ghz)(Watercooled, Astek 510LC)/Asus GTX 1070Ti Strix Advanced/1600 MHz DDR3 12GB/ASUS Z87-M G30AB/Kingston RBU-SC400S37128G 128GB SDD/Toshiba DT01ACA100 1000GB HDD/Acbel R88 ATX12V 700W /Windows 8.1 64 Bit

You plug the cable for the monitor in to a video port on your motherboard.

7 minutes ago, Knaj said:

I just got another monitor, but I want to hook it up to my motherboard rather than my graphics card. How do I do this?

Why? Typically you have to disable your on-board graphics to get your discrete GPU to work properly. You'll more than likely have issues. Just plug it into your GPU.

Just now, Omon_Ra said:

Why? Typically you have to disable your on-board graphics to get your discrete GPU to work properly. You'll more than likely have issues. Just plug it into your GPU.

Most motherboards have a setting for both to be enabled without having something conflict. There's rarely any issues doing this too.

You plug from your monitor (VGA,HDMI,DVI etc..) into these ports on your mobo

1 minute ago, Omon_Ra said:

I've been running two monitors off my GTX 570 and another one off my motherboard for a while without issue.

As long as you make sure the integrated graphics is enabled in the BIOS and you download and install the Intel graphics driver you shouldn't have any problems.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

Just now, Knaj said:

I need to figure out how to do this.

Just start checking through pages in the advanced area of your BIOS.

Just now, Knaj said:

I have no clue how to do this though, but I'll still try haha

Do you know how to get in to your BIOS?

8 minutes ago, Menzenski said:

I've been running two monitors off my GTX 570 and another one off my motherboard for a while without issue.

As long as you make sure the integrated graphics is enabled in the BIOS and you download and install the Intel graphics driver you shouldn't have any problems.

I've had issues with it before, granted it was several years ago, so that may have had something to do with it.

Just now, Knaj said:

Yeah of course. I just don't know what setting I need to enable.

Something along the lines of primary VGA device? Setting might be set to Auto or PCIe.

38 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Something along the lines of primary VGA device? Setting might be set to Auto or PCIe.

I don't think it's the primary video adaptor that needs to change, I think you just need to enable the iGPU in the BIOS. It's a similar process to enable Quicksync.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

15 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

I don't think it's the primary video adaptor that needs to change, I think you just need to enable the iGPU in the BIOS. It's a similar process to enable Quicksync.

No but it lets your computer actually use the iGPU and dedicated GPU without having to pick between them.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

No but it lets your computer actually use the iGPU and dedicated GPU without having to pick between them.

I did this on my ASUS board by just enabling the iGPU. I was using both the iGPU and my 750 Ti.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

I did this on my ASUS board by just enabling the iGPU. I was using both the iGPU and my 750 Ti.

Yep.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yep.

I didn't have to do anything other than enable the iGPU, so what is your point here?

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

I didn't have to do anything other than enable the iGPU, so what is your point here?

If the setting is set to PCIe the iGPU won't be enabled, I don't know how it shipped on your board but for me with my ASUS board I had to change that setting to use my iGPU.

If the setting is set to PCIe the iGPU won't be enabled, I don't know how it shipped on your board but for me with my ASUS board I had to change that setting to use my iGPU.

I didn't have to change the setting that tells it which GPU to use, it just had a setting to enable the iGPU.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

I didn't have to change the setting that tells it which GPU to use, it just had a setting to enable the iGPU.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It varies by board I guess.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It varies by board I guess.

Of course it might be from when I have messed about in the BIOS before. As I dabble in VMs sometimes, and I actually read the manual for it, I have probably tweaked some settings and I can't tell you how it's set up right now, as I am away and typing this on my (useless Core 2 Duo) laptop.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler