NVIDIA Prepping High-Performance Volta GPU Lineup

VagabondWraith
Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

Eh, that's how UK prices work. In the UK, it's more than 20% cheaper, so price to performance for the RX 480 is worse (Based on the percentages you gave me).

Depends. Under DX11 yes. Under DX12 or Vulkan no. Keep in mind also that with the 480 you get more than double the memory.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

But the 480 is more money...

Why are you cherry picking the sales price on RX 480 vs GTX 970? Are you doing that on purpose or did you simply not do any research into pricing?

You're essentially pitting the most expensive RX 480 against the cheapest GTX 970.

Sapphire RX 480 - $209 GBP

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/sH2rxr/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-4gb-video-card-21260-01-20g

So, now we have a RX 480 that is ~7% more expensive, and provides greater than 10% increased performance over the 970.

I also found quite a few RX 480's under $230 GBP.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Depends. Under DX11 yes. Under DX12 or Vulkan no. Keep in mind also that with the 480 you get more than double the memory.

No, you get double the memory, and it's all full speed. The 970 still HAS 4GB VRAM, it's just that 0.5GB of that are slower.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

No, you get double the memory, and it's all full speed. The 970 still HAS 4GB VRAM, it's just that 0.5GB of that are slower.

That 0.5GB is useless and you know it. Also, from what I see above, the prices are much closer than what you listed therefore the 970 is actually worse value in every way possible

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Why are you cherry picking the sales price on RX 480 vs GTX 970? Are you doing that on purpose or did you simply not do any research into pricing?

You're essentially pitting the most expensive RX 480 against the cheapest GTX 970.

Sapphire RX 480 - $209 GBP

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/sH2rxr/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-4gb-video-card-21260-01-20g

So, now we have a RX 480 that is ~7% more expensive, and provides greater than 10% increased performance over the 970.

I also found quite a few RX 480's under $230 GBP.

That's just the first RX 480 I saw on Overclockers, compared to a mid price 970. I happend to have OCUK in a different browser window, so that's what I used. I didn't do more than a minutes price research total.

If we're going to do this, £210 cheapest RX480, £188 for the cheapest 970.

EDIT: And I chose some rather good brands for the first prices...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

3 hours ago, NinjaJc01 said:

That's just the first RX 480 I saw on Overclockers, compared to a mid price 970. I happend to have OCUK in a different browser window, so that's what I used. I didn't do more than a minutes price research total.

If we're going to do this, £210 cheapest RX480, £188 for the cheapest 970.

EDIT: And I chose some rather good brands for the first prices...

So Sapphire is not a good brand? They are EVGA of AMD, they are THE BEST, that ref cooler is just not that good compared to none stock coolers, but that has nothing to do with the brand.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

15 hours ago, Dackzy said:

So Sapphire is not a good brand? They are EVGA of AMD, they are THE BEST, that ref cooler is just not that good compared to none stock coolers, but that has nothing to do with the brand.

I said " And I chose some rather good brands for the first prices... ". Sapphire was included due to that.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, NinjaJc01 said:

I said " And I chose some rather good brands for the first prices... ". Sapphire was included due to that.

It was included - yes, but you somehow accidentally found the most expensive RX480 (let alone the most expensive Sapphire card) listed.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

It was included - yes, but you somehow accidentally found the most expensive RX480 (let alone the most expensive Sapphire card) listed.

Because OCUK are trying to make money. It's still an unfair comparison, comparing last to current gen cards.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

Because OCUK are trying to make money. It's still an unfair comparison, comparing last to current gen cards.

Call it an unfair comparison if you want, but at least don't stack the deck w/ cherry picked results. As you've now seen, you can get several different RX 480's for significantly less then you were portraying. Now that we know the actual objective monetary differences, you can see that the RX 480 is a significantly better deal then you pointed out.

Is it the perfect deal? No. Not for everyone at least. But it's still a pretty good value, all told.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Call it an unfair comparison if you want, but at least don't stack the deck w/ cherry picked results. As you've now seen, you can get several different RX 480's for significantly less then you were portraying. Now that we know the actual objective monetary differences, you can see that the RX 480 is a significantly better deal then you pointed out.

Is it the perfect deal? No. Not for everyone at least. But it's still a pretty good value, all told.

They weren't cherry picked, they were rushed.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

They weren't cherry picked, they were rushed.

Fair enough - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Fair enough - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

If I had my laptop with my right now, I'd show you my browsing history to prove it.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/12/2016 at 5:04 PM, BingoFishy said:

I don't trust The Motley Fool. They have clickbait ads like "Don't buy the iPhone 6s, Apple's next sensation leaked!" and then when the iPhone 7 comes out the ad says "Don't buy the iPhone 7, Apple's next sensation leaked!"

Capture2.PNG

I was right.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

On 8/12/2016 at 2:34 PM, dalekphalm said:

I was gonna say, from a business perspective, they would be fucking idiots to release Volta so soon, when half of Pascal is still in short supply. The only possible reason they would rush Volta out earlier, is if they're scared shitless of Vega, and think it will utterly destroy their lineup.

(Because we've seen in the past that even if the two companies are neck and neck technology and performance wise, NVIDIA has nothing to worry about. People still buy NVIDIA in droves, even when AMD offers the superior alternative at a specific price segment)

well if you think AMD offers such great things you go ahead man and keep buying the inferior products. Enjoy not being able to overclock amd gpus, because let me tell you i find it very enjoyable to overclock my graphics card +250mhz on core and like +500 on memory its a really cool aspect of nvidia cards being able to get 20% more performance out of a card by simply tuning.... where as amd cards LMFAO look at the new rx 480 oh hard crashes after 1300mhz thats nice! Good for you AMD maybe get some better engineers. 

1 minute ago, Zeeee said:

well if you think AMD offers such great things you go ahead man and keep buying the inferior products. Enjoy not being able to overclock amd gpus, because let me tell you i find it very enjoyable to overclock my graphics card +250mhz on core and like +500 on memory its a really cool aspect of nvidia cards being able to get 20% more performance out of a card by simply tuning.... where as amd cards LMFAO look at the new rx 480 oh hard crashes after 1300mhz thats nice! Good for you AMD maybe get some better engineers. 

*ahem*

1.9-2GHz 1060 gets its arse handed by a 1350 MHz RX480, especially in Vulkan/DX12 titles.

Ye ole' train

21 minutes ago, Zeeee said:

Interesting hostile post.

So lets clear something up first.

CLOCKSPEED MEANS JACKSHIT BY ITSELF.

Just because NVIDIA cards get +250MHz on core, in itself, doesn't mean a damn thing. We've seen this before with AMD vs Intel on the CPU side, back in the Athlon XP Days (Where a 2 GHz CPU was wiping the floor with a 3.2 GHZ+ CPU).

They have entirely different architectures. So you cannot compare the clockspeed without also comparing IPC and other factors. You can also still overclock AMD GPU's, it just varies how much headroom you get.

On a Fury X? Hardly any at all. On a HD7950? I can give that thing nearly 400MHz extra on the Core. Stop generalizing, and stop blindly following one brand or the other.

I don't "love" AMD. I also don't love NVIDIA also. I look at the products, and the business decisions of each company, and make an informed decision in each individual case.

31 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

*ahem*

1.9-2GHz 1060 gets its arse handed by a 1350 MHz RX480, ONLY in Vulkan/DX12 titles on SOME setting configurations.

FTFY.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Interesting hostile post.

So lets clear something up first.

CLOCKSPEED MEANS JACKSHIT BY ITSELF.

Just because NVIDIA cards get +250MHz on core, in itself, doesn't mean a damn thing. We've seen this before with AMD vs Intel on the CPU side, back in the Athlon XP Days (Where a 2 GHz CPU was wiping the floor with a 3.2 GHZ+ CPU).

They have entirely different architectures. So you cannot compare the clockspeed without also comparing IPC and other factors. You can also still overclock AMD GPU's, it just varies how much headroom you get.

On a Fury X? Hardly any at all. On a HD7950? I can give that thing nearly 400MHz extra on the Core. Stop generalizing, and stop blindly following one brand or the other.

I don't "love" AMD. I also don't love NVIDIA also. I look at the products, and the business decisions of each company, and make an informed decision in each individual case.

Thats good i like that and i also look at both brands and choose just which is the better product i have absolutely NO interest in getting the inferior product because i dont wanna be ripped off. But really... Its a known fact im gonna say right now its not even a hidden thing anymore.... the reason why amd got destroyed by nvidia is apparent now after dx 12 came out. ITS APPARENT the devs finally came out and told everyone yeah amd loses on dx11 because their overhead is SO BAD ON DX11 like its terrible compared to nvidias drivers which are SO SO WELL optimized for dx11 that in dx 12 they gain so little because their cards are already perfected where as amds are NOT. SO yeah youre right im gonna buy nvidia because they CLEARLY do better also pascal can and does do async actually i saw a reddit post explaining it, its a different way of doing it not any worse or better just different and it works just as well as AMDs so overall i bought a gtx 1070 because really AMD at this point sucks at their dx 11 drivers they suck at overclocking they suck THE MOST at power draw. LMAO GTX 1070 POWER DRAW = RX 480 for half the performance. Great engineering amd you went to 14nm and thats what you pulled off... yeah were doomed to be a monopoly in the near future because people dont want to buy inferior products from amd that are lacking.

1 hour ago, Zeeee said:

yeah were doomed to be a monopoly in the near future

Don't think Nvidia would want to be a monopoly and risk antitrust lawsuits. And with intel integrated graphics, you could get some indirect competition.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

On 8/16/2016 at 9:54 AM, don_svetlio said:

What about DX12? Where the 480 is 20-30% faster? There are over 12 games available which use DX12 with 20 more announced for 2016/2017 release

& there are hundreds of thousands more games that don't use DX12 or vulkan.