Remember when.....

Remember when a laptop with a 500MHz PowerPC CPU, ATi RAGE mobility (8MB VRAM), a 40GB ICE HDD and 256Mb RAM was considered state of the art and demanded prices to match? I barely do, I was only 4, but I've an ancient Apple PowerBook from 2000, the Pismo, a quirky predecessor to the Mac Book line. Honestly it made the desktop we had at the time look like a pile of utter shit. 

Yours faithfully

No I don't, because I didn't care about specs of technology back than.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

No I don't, because I didn't care about specs of technology back than.

I was 1 lol

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

My first computer was a CX-64 a.k.a. the portable Commodore 64 with a 3-4 inch screen and a 5' floppy drive. I was behind my generation. But I do remember my second computer was a new Packard Bell with 64MB could have been KB my own mem is a little off :/ and it barely played Doom. I mainly used it for Microsoft Works and my dot matrix printer. Also I am only a year older than you Lord Nicoll [based on when the powerbook came out if you were 4]. That show you how behind I was. But I did get into computers very young. 

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Yep, pretty much what I imagine it was used for lol.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Steampunk360 said:

My first computer was a CX-64 a.k.a. the portable Commodore 64 with a 3-4 inch screen and a 5' floppy drive. I was behind my generation. But I do remember my second computer was a new Packard Bell with 64MB ram and it barely played Doom. I mainly used it for Microsoft Works and my dot matrix printer. Also I am only a year older than you Lord Nicoll. That show you how behind I was. But I did get into computers very young. 

Yeah me too, I loved playing around inside them, still do. I (unsurprisingly) had to fix the old powerbook, but it was only a loose connector inside it that stopped it booting. 

Yours faithfully

I ran desktop until netbooks was a thing. I bought my first laptop when HP mini was arounr $300 USD. I didnt have internet for most of my life so desktops were the only thing I worried about. I could print out my homework and play morrowind. Now I have a HPDM4 with 12GB ram and my custom skylake desktop with dual monitors. how time flies.

3 minutes ago, Steampunk360 said:

I ran desktop until netbooks was a thing. I bought my first laptop when HP mini was arounr $300 USD. I didnt have internet for most of my life so desktops were the only thing I worried about. I could print out my homework and play morrowind. Now I have a HPDM4 with 12GB ram and my custom skylake desktop with dual monitors. how time flies.

Yeah, I kinda need both, one for power and one for portable power. My ASUS ROG G750 has a little overkill 20GB with a GTX 860m, while my desktop is a laughable Pentium G840 (I had an i7 3770k, but I literally lost it)

Yours faithfully

Nope not really, I did not care about specs back then. I first started to take an interest to computers when the 1st gen i7s where out, so back in late 2008 early 2009 where I also build my first PC.

This is just 100% honest answer no need to get mad or anything, you can just ignore my reply if you want to.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I got in hardware around 2010 so those times passed me by sadly.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Who remembers Sandy Bridge i7-2600k on 5ghz air. Got this for family computer close to release date and still has found almost 0 reason to upgrade. GG Intel. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

43 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Who remembers Sandy Bridge i7-2600k on 5ghz air. Got this for family computer close to release date and still has found almost 0 reason to upgrade. GG Intel. 

I still use sandy bridge, a pentium G840, lauggably bad. I did buy an i7 3770k but lost it somehow, well I got it from a PC I bought to part out. Its in a room full of crap that things get lost in. 

Yours faithfully

47 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I still use sandy bridge, a pentium G840, lauggably bad. I did buy an i7 3770k but lost it somehow, well I got it from a PC I bought to part out. Its in a room full of crap that things get lost in. 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Nope not really, I did not care about specs back then. I first started to take an interest to computers when the 1st gen i7s where out, so back in late 2008 early 2009 where I also build my first PC.

This is just 100% honest answer no need to get mad or anything, you can just ignore my reply if you want to.

You actually stated a reason and a quality why, so I'm fine with that. I can't say I knew about or cared for specs back then, young kids really can't comprehend specs. But looking back it's amazing how far we've come and how realistically lower end PCs do cost less now which is amazing given inflation.

Yours faithfully