Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

I don't need to go back 10 years ago to see how good video games looked. I only need to go back 9 months ago, before december 31, 2018 and I clearly remember that there been no AA issues, flickering, shimmering, jaggies, pop-ups and other nonsense. And then SOMETHING happened. Something TRIGGERED these issues.

I see some new reports about this issue here and there, from time to time, but no real solutions. Guys, this can't go on forever. There must be solution. Otherwise I will go crazy and will end my life in psychiatric hospital.

i am just upgraded a new vega 56 from 1060, problem seems gone for now.

7 minutes ago, acisheree said:

Record some gameplay without the issue.

1 hour ago, Asasinas said:

I don't need to go back 10 years ago to see how good video games looked. I only need to go back 9 months ago, before december 31, 2018 and I clearly remember that there been no AA issues, flickering, shimmering, jaggies, pop-ups and other nonsense. And then SOMETHING happened. Something TRIGGERED these issues.

My new computer worked properly for the first two weeks. I bought it on March 20th this year.

omg i can't believe it started again. its gone for only one day xd

If anyone can somehow fix the problem temporarily, make sure to get footage of it while it’s good. Compare and contrast footage will really help our case.

I started experiencing the issue about two years ago on my current computer. Before that I have owned multiple computers and never once experienced such bad graphical anamoly. The issue began one day when I was admiring how beautiful NFSMW2012 appears on ultra settings and then I had power failure, which caused my pc to shut down. When I restarted my pc, there were jaggies everywhere. No matter what graphical setting and AA setting I turned on made no difference. 

Here are the fixes I have tried: 

1. Replaced monitor

2. Changed hard drive

3. Replaced graphics card

4. Replaced PSU

5. Formatted HDD

6. Re-installed windows over 100 times

7. Installed different windows version (8, 8.1, and 10)

Things that have fixed the issue

1. DSR

2. Supersampling

3. When there are no lights shining on objects. For example, a night in-game scene. The issue becomes aggravated when there is to much lighting that makes edges of objects to shine. 

I have never enabled TAA or TXAA in any games before since they blur the image quality. I have always been a fan of MSAA. But, now enabling MSAA has significant performance impact but not visual difference. 

Other issues I face besides aliasing 

1. Low level of detail

2. Textures disappear when moving just a little distance away from them

3. Since there is no AA, shadows look horrible

4. Tearing in textures graphics when moving camera

5. Thin lines disappear at a distance. For example an in-game electrical wire disappears into oblivion at close distance. 

7. Objects become transparent when moving away from them. 

8. Major shimmering

9. Dotted-lines on edges objects (mostly visible in black ops 2)

10. Specular aliasing

If you want me to make a compilation of these issues in a video format, let me know. I'll be happy to assist the community in any way. 

We need to fix this issue. But, I have strong gut feeling saying that it has something to do with CPU or motherboard. 

I tried Destiny 2 on my PS4 Pro and... OMG, same jaggies and flickering everywhere. I added comparison below.

The first video is made on PC with 9900k and RTX 2080 Ti, max settings, SMAA, 1440p + 150% render scale.

Second video is made on PS4 Pro using 4K TV (also tried 1080p one).

Guys, WHAT THE F**K?

On 10/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, acisheree said:

Nah, it isnt. . . :) you guys need to stop dreaming... ^^

On 10/22/2019 at 6:37 PM, Asasinas said:

I see some new reports about this issue here and there, from time to time, but no real solutions. Guys, this can't go on forever. There must be solution. Otherwise I will go crazy and will end my life in psychiatric hospital.

Yup. As i commented in previous posts, i started to be really annoyed by these issues when i bought a new computer with a dedicated dx11-dx12 card and windows 10. Before that i had a 650gtx on windows 7 running on dx11 but without fully support of dx11 (as all we know windows 7 does not support fully dx11 and the gtx650 has also not full dx11.1 support but partial dx11.1) and i had the same issues but 75% less noticeable. I know this because im usually very exigent when it comes to graphic details, but well, i could live with it back then, since it was not so bad. Now, i just cant play videogames, most of them. These problems have increased in strenght 200% right away after i bought the new computer.

So, my specs before and after ->

Intel i5 3570 (3,4 ghz) / gtx650 ti 2gb / windows 7 / partial dx11.1 support ->>>> problems there but not immersion-breaking, some games was hard to see these problems at all unless you pay close attention. And games using DX9 or forced through nvidia inspector, didnt have these problems. Antialiasing seemed to work just fine through driver , from the control panel, for example. And games using other forms of antialiasing rather than TAA will look great, even better than using TAA...

Now,

Ryzen 5 2600x (3,6 ghz) / gtx1660 ti oc gaming 6gb / windows 10 / full dx11.1 dx12 support ->>>> problems are so bad that most games are unplayable. You can no longer force antialiasing through driver, and games need TAA or TXAA at least to keep the shimmering and flickering away. Any other form of antialiasing looks terrible in any single game.

So, problems were always there, but the changes in intensity are so big from partial dx11 support to full dx11 support (in combination with windows 7 / 10) that the only thing in common here is the operating system and the dx version that operating system is able to handle. But again, i dont think thats even a clue since this happens on other devices without any dx form or any windows os... More than that, i wish we could see something that could give us any clue at all.

Guys, check pls new Call of Duty Modern Warfare who has already bought it. Seems like there is no problems with anti-alising and jagging in ultra settings in that game! But anyway the textures pop-ins like herbs or stones still exist when you come closer to it.

2 hours ago, DaoNayt said:

It probably uses TAA.

It used SMAA and Filmic SMAA

On 10/9/2019 at 10:12 AM, can0753 said:

events confused.
interesting really.

I’ve built numerous new PCs from the ground up and the issues still remain,  It’s not the PCs components...

Its getting old having to repeat this over and over...

48 minutes ago, VincentArogya said:

Filmic is temporal, afaik.

56 minutes ago, Harsh45 said:

I’ve built numerous new PCs from the ground up and the issues still remain,  It’s not the PCs components...

How can this be possible?Is this twilight zone FFS!?

On 10/25/2019 at 3:53 PM, Harsh45 said:

I wonder what it is then, since electricity is equally far fetched, especially since every electrician i asked says its probably not that.

6 hours ago, Bearhugger said:

Yea, temporal AA works oh kee.

But MSAA sux.

ANYTHING that is not TAA (or derivated) suxs badly.

People confuse two things here. One is to get rid of jaggies, that most antialiasing forms can achieve to up some degree (that is not the problem we are discussing) the other one is to get rid of shimmering and flickering on those jaggies and the textures sided by them. THAT is the problem we are discussing.. not if games have jagged edges or not. ALL games have jagged edges because all games dont use antialiasing by default. Sometimes i think some people think that games should not have jaggies by default... lol.

7 hours ago, VincentArogya said:

Erm.. i pretty doubt call of duty uses smaa, since that is a really old aa form. It will be a really huge backstep instead the opposite. And no, smaa has nothing to do with taa.

It's cool if TAA works for you. That means you can at least enjoy SOME games. For me, TAA is the worst AA method right now, because even on static image there are flickering and jaggies everywhere.

And about Call of Duty... I played Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 back in summer. Strange, but I didn't noticed any problems AT ALL. Probably the only game this year which doesn't have AA issues. Don't know about other issues such as pop-ins through, I didn't had a time to look at details, because the game has only multiplayer.

I will try Modern Warfare in the coming days. Since BO4 was kinda fine, maybe this game will be ok too.

Checkout a video I posted today that shows how lighting impacts the issue and aggravates it.

16 hours ago, Asasinas said:

It's cool if TAA works for you. That means you can at least enjoy SOME games. For me, TAA is the worst AA method right now, because even on static image there are flickering and jaggies everywhere.

Every single later game implements TAA as default antialiasing method.. if it doesnt work for you.. well, thats a big problem in your case, because the majority of players play with TAA. But not everybody likes TAA, some people prefer shimmering and flickering on their games instead a semi blur based antialiasing like TAA (im really sorry for their eyes...). Other more advanced games implement TXAA that is vastly superior to TAA and it does not produce that blurry effect in that extend.

And its really weird that TAA doesnt work for you, i mean we could agree that in some rare cases, the flickering will not go away completely, but jaggies using TAA???? dude, thats a first. I dont think your problem is related to TAA.

1 hour ago, VincentArogya said:

Checkout a video I posted today that shows how lighting impacts the issue and aggravates it.

Light is a fundamental part of all graphic features, because obviously, without light, you dont see anything and not a single rendering effect is in place. The more reflecting is an object the worst the problem will be. In racing games, for example, driving at night, you cant notice basically any of these problems... but driving at day, when the sun is reflecting on fences, signs, etc... its a nightmare.

Also using HDR of course makes the problem even worst. Specially in games with old HDR features.