Do you think the R9 290X will drop in price on Black Friday/Christmas?

I have my heart set on selling my GTX 690 and getting two 290Xs because I really need more power. Pretty simple question, but do graphics cards usually drop in price shortly after release for the holidays? If it's something like $100 off each card, I will probably wait a bit. If it's something like $20 off each card, I will buy sooner.

Spoiler

I doubt they'd drop the price by $100, it's more likely to be a lot less as you said, around a $20 price decrease at Christmas.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I highly doubt it'll drop in price.

the HD 7970 might drop in price since the retailers are going to be trying to get rid of them,but the Rx 2xx series won't.

And if by some miracle it does drop in price it'll be like $20-30 cheaper.

There might also end up being a second listing without BF4 included that's somewhat lower,or there might not be a lower price version with BF4.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I highly doubt it'll drop in price.

the HD 7970 might drop in price since the retailers are going to be trying to get rid of them,but the Rx 2xx series won't.

And if by some miracle it does drop in price it'll be like $20-30 cheaper.

also the $729.99 price tag may or may not be lower for other cards.

The 7000 series have already dropped heavily in price.  I agree that the Rx 2xx series won't decrease in price though.  They may drop a little next year when Nvidia release their cards but I doubt by much even then.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

It's still too early on in the product life cycle, a large price drop is highly unlikely. However, they could still issue a small discount to increase interest slightly.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

The 7000 series have already dropped heavily in price.  I agree that the Rx 2xx series won't decrease in price though.  They may drop a little next year when Nvidia release their cards but I doubt by much even then.

that's like saying microcenter,in 2011 after IvyBridge was released, already had an amazing price on the 2500K,why would they lower it more on black Friday?

and yet they did,from $169.99 to $100.

I don't doubt that somebody will have the HD 7xxx series at a larger discount during black friday or some other christmas season discount.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

that's like saying microcenter,in 2011 after IvyBridge was released, already had an amazing price on the 2500K,why would they lower it more on black Friday?

and yet they did,from $169.99 to $100.

I don't doubt that somebody will have the HD 7xxx series at a larger discount during black friday or some other christmas season discount.

I got a 2500K from them for $140. *woop*

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Yes. If it does not drop in price the number of games in the bundle will surely increase.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I got a 2500K from them for $140. *woop*

You lucky bastards. Here in Australia I had to pay over 200 bucks.

Sent from my HTC One X now Free

How can we know if it will drop in price when we don't even know what the price is? If it comes out and is insanely expensive then expect a price drop soon. If it comes out and offers Titan performance for $600 then I doubt we'd see a price drop till mid next year. Sure it might drop $20 or more but i wouldn't expect a big price cut at all. 

Also, if it offers Titan performance for $600 the chances of the Titan dropping in price to around $650 are very likely. I'd pick up a Titan over a 290x any day of the week. 

How can we know if it will drop in price when we don't even know what the price is? If it comes out and is insanely expensive then expect a price drop soon. If it comes out and offers Titan performance for $600 then I doubt we'd see a price drop till mid next year. Sure it might drop $20 or more but i wouldn't expect a big price cut at all. 

Also, if it offers Titan performance for $600 the chances of the Titan dropping in price to around $650 are very likely. I'd pick up a Titan over a 290x any day of the week. 

No way a titan would drop that much. nvidia doesnt have to lower their prices to sell gpu's. look at the 690 been out forever and no price drop same with titan. A 780 is just as good and cheaper. 7990 is better then titan in most games and is 450$ cheaper right now. So I doubt we will see the titan drop in price that much. Thats my opinion though. 

No way a titan would drop that much. nvidia doesnt have to lower their prices to sell gpu's. look at the 690 been out forever and no price drop same with titan. A 780 is just as good and cheaper. 7990 is better then titan in most games and is 450$ cheaper right now. So I doubt we will see the titan drop in price that much. Thats my opinion though. 

It all depends on the performance of the 290x and the price. It's all speculation since there's nothing known about the 290x since AMD apparently doesn't feel very confident in their card. It's easy to say its a "Titan Killer" but it's another thing to prove it. 

My expectations of the 290x is it's going to be pure hype. I think it's only going to beat a Titan when Mantle comes out and who knows how many games are even going to support it. They are selling a product based on pipe dreams I believe and that's just trickery. 

It all depends on the performance of the 290x and the price. It's all speculation since there's nothing known about the 290x since AMD apparently doesn't feel very confident in their card. It's easy to say its a "Titan Killer" but it's another thing to prove it. 

My expectations of the 290x is it's going to be pure hype. I think it's only going to beat a Titan when Mantle comes out and who knows how many games are even going to support it. They are selling a product based on pipe dreams I believe and that's just trickery. 

I totally agree with you on the hype. I think it will be a good card but a "titan killer" i don't think so. I do love mantle though because i will be playing a lot of BF4. So im just waiting on benchmarks and price and then decide between a 7990 or 290x. 

I totally agree with you on the hype. I think it will be a good card but a "titan killer" i don't think so. I do love mantle though because i will be playing a lot of BF4. So im just waiting on benchmarks and price and then decide between a 7990 or 290x. 

For the price I think the 7990 would be better. If the 290x launches for $600 then I'd go for that instead.