Best Operating System

Best Operating System  

126 members have voted

1. 1. If all operating systems had the same software and game support, which operating system would you rather install?

• Windows
    • OS X
    • Linux (All flavors, including SteamOS)
    • Other
  2. 2. With current software and game support, which operating system would you rather install?

• Windows
    • OS X
    • Linux (All flavors, including SteamOS)
    • Other

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I dont feel there is a better OS. Windows has the largest Software library known to man and is easy to use. Linux has security, its free, and more powerful for power users. I dont really have anything to say about MAC OS, but Im sure there are good qualities about that. I think its about the experience you want. Windows for instance is a good all around OS. While there are Linux distro's that exist, that might be for a particular purpose. Like Steam OS for gaming or Ubuntu Studio for design. 

If you really think about it though...  A power user would want the largest selection of software and support for hardware etc, wouldn't they? So windows would still in theory be the "best" right? 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

42 minutes ago, Lays said:

If you really think about it though...  A power user would want the largest selection of software and support for hardware etc, wouldn't they? So windows would still in theory be the "best" right? 

No. Linux has so much more power on the command line. Is the power that most power users wants. You consider the fact that the biggest change between Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008 was the power on the command line. Why the hell do you think they are adding bash to Windows 10? Consider that a lot of software for Windows is Games. Plus there are distro's that are for specific purposes. 

To be honest. The best OS is the one that gives the best experience. This is a point Chris Prillio brought out in a talk between Android and iOS. Everyone has different preferences in to what they would cosideer important. The best OS is the one that meets those preferences. Keep in mind the only reason MS has a large market share was they were smart, they pitched their OS to big business. So people used Windows at work, decided to use Windows at home. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Windows 7 remains the best OS to this date. Even though it lost mainstream support in 2015, it still remains very well supported, and my absolute favorite OS of all time (aside from MS-DOS that is :-)

IT'S A PRANK BRO!!!

Intel Core Duo T2300E / 1.66 GHz

512 MB DDR2 SRAM

60 GB HDD

Intel GMA 950

16 minutes ago, WeeWill said:

Windows 7 remains the best OS to this date. Even though it lost mainstream support in 2015, it still remains very well supported, and my absolute favorite OS of all time (aside from MS-DOS that is :-)

Id agree. Windows 7 was a great successor to Windows XP. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

GNU/linux is something special. I love and hate it with a passion :)

If around 80% of my recently played games were available on linux, I would ditch windows completely. And that's not because windows is a bad OS, it's because microsofts way of treating their users lately, is just wrong. Forced upgrades, full screen ads in the OS.... That's something even google/apple wouldn't have done.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

Linux is a god compared to windows its faster and highly customizable but windows is better for gaming because of its support

They say that the OS you use says something about you. I use Windows becuase I'm simply a gamer

3 minutes ago, VAkena said:

They say that the OS you use says something about you. I use Windows becuase I'm simply a gamer. What do you use and why?

I use Windows for many reasons:

Gaming - Linux kinda sucks for gaming.

Hobbyist Programming - Prefer Windows for this

School Work - Prefer Windows for this.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Windows for Home/Gaming. Mac OS X for school laptop. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, rn8686 said:

Windows for Home/Gaming. Mac OS X for school laptop. 

Why not Windows for school laptop?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 8/7/2016 at 4:36 PM, VAkena said:

They say that the OS you use says something about you. I use Windows becuase I'm simply a gamer. What do you use and why?

Well I use Windows 8.1 Pro  because it is very convenient and Graphicaly appealing plus most of the games support it . People use Mac OSX mainly for productivity . Others use Linux because it is open source and we can meddle with it . 

5 minutes ago, VAkena said:

I use Windows 10 because that's the OS that came with my laptop, although I did run a VM of MacOS Sierra at one point. A) Now that changing Windows version costs money, there's no reason to change to 7 or something, B) Windows just has a lot more support and programs than MacOS or Linux.

Although my School laptop is a Macbook Pro, so there you go I guess.

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

why not mac: too expensive, not very compatible with other platform (it's pain in the ass if half the team works on win, the other half on mac), very bad price to performance, limited software and hardware capabilities

why not linux: too complicated to enter, not all the software i need runs on linux

why win: runs everything i need, I can throw literally any hardware in my pc i need, peripherals and so on works just fine. I have quite a few programs that only run on win.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Just now, Runelight said:

Well I use Windows 8.1 Pro  because it is very convenient and Graphicaly appealing plus most of the games support it . People use Mac OSX mainly for productivity . Others use Linux because it is open source and we can meddle with it . 

I think we're part of the minority that actually like the Windows 8.1 UI!

Just now, VAkena said:

I liked it but my friends suggested Windows 7. Now I use Windows 10.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why not Windows for school laptop?

We got it from the school, not my first choice. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, LordMastodon said:

I use Windows 10 because that's the OS that came with my laptop, although I did run a VM of MacOS Sierra at one point. A) Now that changing Windows version costs money, there's no reason to change to 7 or something, B) Windows just has a lot more support and programs than MacOS or Linux.

Although my School laptop is a Macbook Pro, so there you go I guess.

I'd actually prefer a Macbook over my Windows based laptop becuase of the lightness and battery life. Otherwise, I'd buy a Surface Pro 4 or Book but they're hella expensive in Australia. 

23 hours ago, VAkena said:

Well When I asked the builders to gimme windows 10 , they said yes  but when i got it it was win 8.1 . They said they did 8.1 because for PC desktops they had win 10 crack and dont like cracked products so . Still I am satisfied with win 8.1 cuz my old system had win 7

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

in all honesty, the reason i'm on windows at this very moment is laziness :P

If that's the case, if you weren't lazy, what OS would you spring for?

1 minute ago, VAkena said:

if i wasnt lazy, i'd be running some variety of linux, with either a windows system running in a clouset somewhere for steam in-home streaming, or running a VM with gpu passtrough for gaming :P

On 8/7/2016 at 4:46 PM, VAkena said:

Well he probably goes for a linux or linux based os . If ur a gamer u should go for a Steam box which is a PC running  Linux based Steam OS

Just now, VAkena said:

I'd actually prefer a Macbook over my Windows based laptop becuase of the lightness and battery life. Otherwise, I'd buy a Surface Pro 4 or Book but they're hella expensive in Australia. 

No way do I prefer a Macbook over Windows. If you want to pay far too much for far too little performance (excluding battery life) just so you can use MacOS than that's cool, but I'll just be sitting here my free Sierra VM.

Surface Pro/Books are really just glorified tablets, IMHO.

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

2 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

No way do I prefer a Macbook over Windows. If you want to pay far too much for far too little performance (excluding battery life) just so you can use MacOS than that's cool, but I'll just be sitting here my free Sierra VM.

Surface Pro/Books are really just glorified tablets, IMHO.

Using your logic and idea, what you're saying is just like saying "Humans are just glorified gorillas".

windows Because I've allways used and I cant be arsed to change it up or buy a apple product