Best Operating System

Best Operating System  

126 members have voted

1. 1. If all operating systems had the same software and game support, which operating system would you rather install?

• Windows
    • OS X
    • Linux (All flavors, including SteamOS)
    • Other
  2. 2. With current software and game support, which operating system would you rather install?

• Windows
    • OS X
    • Linux (All flavors, including SteamOS)
    • Other

I enjoyed Windows XP, 7 but not so much 10.

the time I've spent with macos hackentoshing (the os not the process) was great, although if it was more optimized for my hardware it would be great. 

I just enjoy the feel of OS X, like I've been using it since 2008 or so (school) although I'm more familiar with windows

if I had the choice and all my software was supported on OS X I would hackentosh and move there asap. 

Also, my experience with Linux is pretty pleasant but I do not enjoy fucking around with terminal at all and enjoy using GUI everything. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

It’s not, actually. Even if you upgraded for free you still paid for 7 or 8…

shhhhhhhhhhh its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ubuntu Linux because I like the openess of the OS and I don't feel locked down in it like I can navigate the OS and tweak things as I please I have a dedicated machine that I restored from a old Athlon 64 x2 Acer desktop that I run as my dedicated Linux machine and it runs smootly on that older processor I'm Loving Ubuntu for it's freedom and tweakability

image.jpeg

If debian was more common and supported, I'd be all about it. 

13 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

It’s not, actually. Even if you upgraded for free you still paid for 7 or 8…

Well...you SHOULD have paid for 7 or 8

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

I pirate Linux over BitTorrent because I like to stay on the m0th3rfuck1ng 3dge 

because torrenting is solely for piracy right

lmao

you use torrent? oh you hacker you 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

3 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

On a serious note, I’m actually working on a Linux package manager that takes advantage of the BitTorrent protocol to distribute software payloads. Pretty cool, huh?

Wish I could help with developing stuff for Linux because after using it on a secondary machine for a while I really have become attached to working on it and tweaking things on it but when it comes to actually programming and figuring out all the technical command line stuff it gets a bit complex for me and I would have to do alot more learning of it to figure out

Well I feel that it'd be obvious for me to say that if I could use all the same things I could use in Windows on Ubuntu/Debian, I'd ditch Windows completely. Vulkan might actually enable developers to start venturing into Linux if the community starts showing developers that developing for Linux wouldn't be a waste and that if they develop for Linux they could get more people on the platform because there's lots of people who've said that they only use Windows because it's better for games and program support. But Vulkan isn't locked down to just Windows like DirectX is so that'd help games get over to Linux. I understand why a developer wouldn't want to deal with porting a game to Linux though. 

5 hours ago, RedWulf said:

If debian was more common and supported, I'd be all about it. 

Well...you SHOULD have paid for 7 or 8

Well I technically haven't paid for a Windows license because prebuilt OEM installs and I will likely be getting Windows 10 for free from my school. The education edition but it should function the same as like Win 10 Pro just with a watermark in the corner saying Win10 Education

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

If you don’t plan on becoming a professional software engineer like I’m planning for, I still suggest you apply your Google-fu at scripting using Bash and Python. Those are really easy languages in comparison to most of what’s out there, and will take you very far in the world of Linux by themselves.

it’s just important that you go about asking questions the right way when learning how to script stuff. often times for simple things you can find scripts others have made, and look at how they work to learn even more. and when Googling, be as specific as you can in your questions. :)

Instead of remembering some long-ass command with all of its options, I just put the command in a Bash script and run the script instead. That’s just the tip of the iceberg of what scripting empowers you to do.

Programming or more so Software Developers according to the BLS will see a pretty decent growth by 2024. Their average wage is also pretty good too. But idk programming languages seems a lot harder to pick up than an actual human language. I guess for a variety of reasons. Though Idk about software development jobs out here in the midwest. West and East Coast of the US and Canada would probably be a better bet for that but I like the smaller population density that the midwest has over the west and east coast.

5 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

All programming languages are context-free, while human languages are not. Personally I think a lot like a computer, I’m very good at handling logic and following through its threads, so software development is good for me. Everyone is different though.

True, you know I find the idea of it kinda interesting but it's probable that it's not for me. 

Eh I'll eventually figure out what path I'll take post high school, I've still got a couple more years to really decide but that's not that much time so idk.

This thread went off the rails SO fast :P

A summary for the (many) that seem to miss op's point:

- ignore all software or hardware incompatibilities

- ignore all bugs and/or lack of functionality due to being outdated.

- ignore downsides like arch taking a year and a half to install.

Its not about which OS works for you, its about which one you want to work for you.

MacOS for sure

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

RedHat/Debian based for sure! 

Love the corporate backbone they have

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

If OS X ran all the games I needed, had zero compatibility issues with custom PCs, ran all the applications I needed AND wasn't completely locked down by Apple, I'd switch.

EDIT: I could've sworn OP's username was AlexTheRose :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I like simplicity of early Windows 2000 still, so while I wouldn't say no to new features of any modern OS, I want the more direct feel you got back then without all the so called security crap and nags getting in the way of things. All major Linux/Unix desktop derivatives that I've tried (including MacOS) ship with a broken user interface when it comes to mouse pointer movement, and Windows is the only major OS able to get that right.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm definitely a multi OS person. I am currently on a 13" Macbook Pro, and I love it. Powerful enough for what I do, and light enough I can't even tell if it is in my bag. However I am getting ready to build a editing machine and I will be placing Windows 10, 8.1 maybe? Regardless, I work with Windows as well, and I almost prefer windows more for editing simply because of the file directory. 

• 11 months later...

I have tried all the versions of Windows from XP to 10. I think XP was good, Vista is less than ideal, 7 is the best, 8/8.1 is a disaster, and 10 is a slight improvement over 8/8.1 in some ways, but is still crap. What is your favorite version of Windows? I think the perfect OS would be Windows 7 optimized for stability, reliability and performance on modern hardware without unwanted changes like stealing your data to send to Microsoft or advertising for Onedrive in the file explorer. What do you think?