Best Operating System

Best Operating System  

126 members have voted

1. 1. If all operating systems had the same software and game support, which operating system would you rather install?

• Windows
    • OS X
    • Linux (All flavors, including SteamOS)
    • Other
  2. 2. With current software and game support, which operating system would you rather install?

• Windows
    • OS X
    • Linux (All flavors, including SteamOS)
    • Other

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Windows 8.1 because:

- Compatibility - everything works.

- Games - all work

- With Classic Shell it looks better and is more user-friendly than 7 IMO.

- Couldn't be bothered to upgrade to Windows 10.

Don't worry about the upgrade to Windows 10, it's just one BIG piece of spyware

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

everything works.

correction: everything you need works ;)

but yes, software/hardware compatibility wise win 8.1 is currently the one to get, with win10 to probably take over in a few years at most.

Windows for Home cus I game and its what I liek and Macbook for school, It has MAC osx but once I buy it from the school I will install windows.

13 minutes ago, VAkena said:

For those who own Macs, when you're searching for programs to download, do you add "for mac" at the end of your search? xD

Ya xD

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'll share an experience here:

my daily commute to and from work is at least an hour worth of public transport, and i currently use my phone and its mobile data to browse the forum during my commute.

if that rumor of the macbook with mobile data ends up being true, i'd consider one of those for the following reasons:

- it'd literally be a "facebook machine" for me

- macbooks are thin, light, and have honestly pretty nice battery life

- the aluminium body is less likely to crack like the plastic body on my samsung laptop is doing now

- it has a bigger display and better keyboard than my phone

- at some point the convenience becomes worth the price premium, seeing people gladly spend $700 on a smartphone i dont understand why people make a problem out the pricing of a macbook...

I honestly prefer Macbooks over other laptops since they are lighter and battery lasts longer but I dont really like theyre price.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

On 8/7/2016 at 5:09 PM, Julian5 said:

Windows for Home cus I game and its what I liek and Macbook for school, It has MAC osx but once I buy it from the school I will install windows.

Ya xD

13 minutes ago, Runelight said:

LOL they just have to cuz most of the softwares are made for Windows using Windows . And some BY WINDOWS

That alone is why I don't want to invest into the MacOS ecosystem

On 8/7/2016 at 5:06 PM, manikyath said:

how is a PC "better" than a portable device?

i'd gladly see you use your desktop on the bus to work ;)

Well a PC is better in terms of upgradability 

1 minute ago, VAkena said:

In context of how Microsoft describes the situation, would you prefer the Surface Pro (80/20) or the Surface Book (80/20)?

for my purpose the surfaces would be garbage, tablet clip-on keyboards are generally garbage, they're a nightmare to use on public transport, and it just looks and feels like a toy.

the surface book on the other hand... if it had a quadcore i7 i'd probably shelf my samsung RC530 for it.

the GT940m would be a nice upgrade from my honestly disaster of a 540m that needs a reball :P

2 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

I honestly prefer Macbooks over other laptops since they are lighter and battery lasts longer but I dont really like theyre price.

The OS can be a pain sometimes in terms of desktop shortcuts. Almost all my navigation on my computer is done through desktop shortcuts.

2 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

hence why my laptop of choice is still a samsung RC530 with a second hand 2x4GB kit of corsair vengeance :P

1 minute ago, Runelight said:

Well a PC is better in terms of upgradability 

but even an iMac wins in terms of portability ;)

Just now, VAkena said:

The OS can be a pain sometimes in terms of desktop shortcuts. Almost all my navigation on my computer is done through desktop shortcuts.

Yeah, Im planning on installing W7 when its mine

Just now, manikyath said:

hence why my laptop of choice is still a samsung RC530 with a second hand 2x4GB kit of corsair vengeance :P

I would have never considered a Macbook but since the school gave me one I had to use it.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

He clearly stated that he use windows for GAMING . So what a gamer really needs is a PC than a Portable laptop or tablet

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

how is a PC "better" than a portable device?

i'd gladly see you use your desktop on the bus to work ;)

It simply just comes down to use cases and what works for you

On 8/7/2016 at 5:16 PM, VAkena said:

Well yeah 

I like Windows, but I prefer Linux.

For me, I generally like the freedom Linux offers and the fact that it does have more privacy. 

I also like the UI and UX of Ubuntu, and like the customization of Debian. Fedora isn't too bad either.

I'm hoping Vulkan might help more games come to Linux. I know it's not a given that game devs will port games to Linux just because of Vulkan being platform agnostic, though it helps.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, VAkena said:

exactly, i didnt say a portable device is "better", i just wanted to point out that different use cases call for different devices.

short roundup:

- at a desk, a desktop, i hope the name explains why that makes sense. OS of choice depends on what you need that OS to do for you. (dont even try to use windows for a hard drive maintenance/recovery workstation, it's worthless)

- at vareous stationary locations (like when you work from two locations), a beefy laptop that is well built and upgradable/repairable.

- on the go for the more serious work: a lightweight laptop like macbooks, surfacebooks, or the new notebook air from china.

- on the go for content consumption like mobile games (admit, at least one of you is hooked to farmville :P), watching videos, or reading blogs etc, a tablet is the way to go.

- when you need the ability to flip your means of content consumption in and out your pocket on the fly, a phone is the way to go if you're okay with looking like an antisocial knob or "one of them youngsters playing pokemon go"

(sneaky spoiler: i made use of the pokemon go hype to not be looked at wrongly using my phone as a minimap style GPS :P)

On 8/7/2016 at 5:24 PM, manikyath said:

exactly, i didnt say a portable device is "better", i just wanted to point out that different use cases call for different devices.

short roundup:

- at a desk, a desktop, i hope the name explains why that makes sense. OS of choice depends on what you need that OS to do for you. (dont even try to use windows for a hard drive maintenance/recovery workstation, it's worthless)

- at vareous stationary locations (like when you work from two locations), a beefy laptop that is well built and upgradable/repairable.

- on the go for the more serious work: a lightweight laptop like macbooks, surfacebooks, or the new notebook air from china.

- on the go for content consumption like mobile games (admit, at least one of you is hooked to farmville :P), watching videos, or reading blogs etc, a tablet is the way to go.

- when you need the ability to flip your means of content consumption in and out your pocket on the fly, a phone is the way to go if you're okay with looking like an antisocial knob or "one of them youngsters playing pokemon go"

(sneaky spoiler: i made use of the pokemon go hype to not be looked at wrongly using my phone as a minimap style GPS :P)

Well said

Just now, manikyath said:

snip

Well I think for a lot of people they can do a lot of the same things they can do on a phone or a tablet that they could do with a laptop or desktop and they can take it with them more places and if they're using a tablet they might even have that on a data plan so that means they don't have to deal with hoping that the place they're going to has wifi or not because then all they need to rely on is having service at the place they're going. So I could see that being a big factor for a lot of people.

There's really only two mobile games I really play and actually both of them are technically on PC. One you can get on Steam and the other from the Blizzard Battle.net client (Adventure Capitalist and Hearthstone).

Just now, wcreek said:

Well I think for a lot of people they can do a lot of the same things they can do on a phone or a tablet that they could do with a laptop or desktop and they can take it with them more places and if they're using a tablet they might even have that on a data plan so that means they don't have to deal with hoping that the place they're going to has wifi or not because then all they need to rely on is having service at the place they're going. So I could see that being a big factor for a lot of people.

There's really only two mobile games I really play and actually both of them are technically on PC. One you can get on Steam and the other from the Blizzard Battle.net client (Adventure Capitalist and Hearthstone).

well, that mobile data thing is why i mentioned before i'd be interested in the macbook with mobile data built in.

in 2016 i really dont want to be spotted with a netbook with one of these sticking out the side:

vodafone-3g-dongle.jpg

the first person i'd encounter would shout at me "yo dude, 2006 called, they want their internet back"

12 minutes ago, wcreek said:

@manikyath Though I should add, it would seem that Android tablets are in a bit of a sad state of affairs. The Pixel C seems more like it's suppose to compete with like the iPad Pro kinda. I'd just want an 8 or 9" 1080p or 1440p tablet with similar panel quality to my S6 that has like 3 to 4GB of ram and at least 32GB of storage that runs Android.

10 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, that mobile data thing is why i mentioned before i'd be interested in the macbook with mobile data built in.

in 2016 i really dont want to be spotted with a netbook with one of these sticking out the side:

imgsnip

the first person i'd encounter would shout at me "yo dude, 2006 called, they want their internet back"

If I don't want to use public wifi, I'll just use the hotspot on my phone. I just make sure I've got plenty of data for the remainder of the cycle to use the hotspot. Though with how Apple seems to kinda be trying to market the MacBook, you'd think they'd throw some cell antennas in there and give it a slot for a nano sim. They could ship it with an Apple sim like they do for the iPad Pros and if your carrier isn't supported then you just pop the Apple sim out and you pop in a sim provided by your carrier.

Which I guess is an interesting option too.

Though I feel like this discussion about portability and mobility and what not is somewhat off topic. I kinda lack context because I don't want to look through a page or two of posts... So idk.

I really hope reactOS gets somewhere.  The idea of annopen source nt alternative kernel is really appealing to me,  as it would allow for a real open source alternative to windowa.

Shame it needs a lot more development though 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

for me right now it is 10 but if frostbite gets ported to linux I would switch any day especial if Microsoft locks down windows more 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Windows 10

Pros:Universal support, large user base, most if not all productivity applications or alternatives can be used on win 10,relatively easy to use for newbies, lifetime windows update support

Cons.:lacks some productivity features of Mac osx as Linus highlighted in iswitched to iMac (although 3rd party alternatives can be found) hot target for malware, some privacy concerns and Windows update annoyances(although most of it can be fixed via a bit of tinkering), not as open source as linux

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}