Gtx 1070 egva sc very hot

salellas

Hello there community, i'm having a problem or maybe it's just me. The thing is i just bought a brand new gtx 1070 evga superclock and paired it with my i5 3330.

On idle with nothing going on in the background i get 50°C!!! And using 1000mhz

While playing arma3 it ramps up to 70°C 

In valley benchmark i get 80°C

I understand that these temps would be ok on a founders card but on an evga sc...???

Oh and the backplate get super hot, i maybe fry an egg on it.

Did i get a bad card? Should i return it?

PD: no overclock done yet

I wouldnt be concerned. This card is also OCed from factory dont forget.

If you must set up a custom fan profile.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Definitly not normal you should look for fan speed how far they turn up, if everything is normal i would ask for an exchange to a new card

4 minutes ago, salellas said:

Hello there community, i'm having a problem or maybe it's just me. The thing is i just bought a brand new gtx 1070 evga superclock and paired it with my i5 3330.

I understand that these temps would be ok on a founders card but on an evga sc...???

set up a better fan profile. The stock ones really dont help much, just keeps it all silent

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Hummmm, so i should just turn on the fan?? Not like i would hear them over the over fans in the case anyways.

What about the load temps are they ok? and the backplate being so hot??

2 minutes ago, salellas said:

Hummmm, so i should just turn on the fan?? Not like i would hear them over the over fans in the case anyways.

What about the load temps are they ok? and the backplate being so hot??

Temperatures are a bit on high side but there are factors to consider:

how cool/hot is your room and specifically location where PC is

how well vented your PC is

how clean is your PC, is there any obstruction for air getting in (dusty filters, PC against the wall etc.)

what CPU you are using and what cooler does it have; some heat might be leaking onto your GPU, especially if you have one of these toaster hot AMD CPUs (have nothing against AMD myself, just in case)

These are just basics. You also have to remember that SC cards come overclocked and silicon lottery is a b***h.

The pc is clean 

Cpu is an i5 3330 cooled at around 30°C by a coolermaster seidon 120 set to exhaust

There are 4 intake fans

Temp around pc was maybe 21 degrees

Might not help you directly but here are my numbers for the sake of a comparison. I have a gtx 1070 from another manufacturer:

- 39°C while playing Hearthstone and a few background processes (480 mhz, ambient temperature ~20°C today)

- max. 69°C while at 2060 mhz and 100% load, ambient temperature was ~28°C when i did measure my card a few days ago (no manually oc yet)

well looks like i got a bad gpu, what about the backplate was it really hot??

How did you get 2060 mhz without manual overclock??

Manually control the fan and set it to about 80%.

If it's still super hot, there might be something wrong with your gpu.  Insufficient or too much thermal goop from the factory.  Worse, a bad heatsink design.  I remember seeing an Asus gpu heatsink that had only about 1/2 of the heatpipes touching the gpu.

First off, sorry for my english i am still trying to improve it. It was god awful a few years ago.

16 minutes ago, salellas said:

Welll that calms me a bit, what about the backplate was it really hot??

Yes. I did shut down my pc after the card was at 69°C and full load. I could only touch the backplate for a couple of seconds.

I asked here at this forum if that is a problem. People responded by saying that it´s cold for a gpu and i should not worry one moment.

16 minutes ago, salellas said:

How did you get 2060 mhz without manual overclock??

I am using the gigabyte extreme gaming software to adjust the settings of my 1070. The software has different preset settings for the coreclock and can boost it up to 2063 mhz depending on the settings. The problem with this fucking software is that it resets my settings after a couple of pc restarts and i am to lazy to search for other software.

1 hour ago, edsdrafts said:

Topics like this makes me think twice of GTX 980Ti watercooled Vs GTX 1070 aircooled overclocked option...

I wouldn't let one of the cheapest 1070s affect that decision at all. Most 1070s are cooled just fine. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

17 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

I wouldn't let one of the cheapest 1070s affect that decision at all. Most 1070s are cooled just fine. 

I wouldn't call EVGA SC one a cheapest 1070 out there. Granted it is not custom PCB or RGB version but it does have custom cooling solution. I doubt FTW and ASUS Strix ones are much cooler at same clocks. GPU binning is same for all.

2 hours ago, salellas said:

These temperatures seem normal in my opinion. It's hitting 50°C at idle because the fan probably doesn't even start spinning until it hits 60°C or so, and stock fan settings usually aren't very aggressive under load, either. You could ramp up the fan curve using the Fan Profile settings in MSI Afterburner if you aren't bothered by it being a little louder, or just let it be.

36 minutes ago, edsdrafts said:

I wouldn't call EVGA SC one a cheapest 1070 out there. Granted it is not custom PCB or RGB version but it does have custom cooling solution. I doubt FTW and ASUS Strix ones are much cooler at same clocks. GPU binning is same for all.

It is though. Just look at how much EVGA skimped on designing the EVGA SC 970. They had misaligned heat pipes and the WORST power delivery of any 970 out there. Cooling can vary quote a bit actually as you have the Strix, Windforce, ACX, Zotac's and other coolers that vary depending on their level (G1 vs Xtreme, AMP vs AMP extreme etc.) GPU binning can also very different depending on level of card and company. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

It is though. Just look at how much EVGA skimped on designing the EVGA SC 970. They had misaligned heat pipes and the WORST power delivery of any 970 out there. Cooling can vary quote a bit actually as you have the Strix, Windforce, ACX, Zotac's and other coolers that vary depending on their level (G1 vs Xtreme, AMP vs AMP extreme etc.) GPU binning can also very different depending on level of card and company. 

If you meant GTX 1070 can you share the source of this? If you did have 970 in mind I am not sure it is fair to compare with the mentioned 1070 as design has changed.

Well thanks you all for the help from what i'm seeing the temps are fine and i should just modify the fan cure.

Indeed the fans only spin when the card gets to 60 degrees.

You guys know any good video for overclocking this card??

Again, thanks for the help guys,  best forum on the web, keep it up.

Just now, salellas said:

Well thanks you all for the help from what i'm seeing the temps are fine and i should just modify the fan cure.

Indeed the fans only spin when the card gets to 60 degrees.

You guys know any good video for overclocking this card??

Again, thanks for the help guys,  best forum on the web, keep it up.

matey just have a look at any video ocing video. the ways to overclock arethe the sameth for all the cardths (my old english is as fake as my chinese :D )

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

39 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

matey just have a look at any video ocing video. the ways to overclock arethe the sameth for all the cardths (my old english is as fake as my chinese :D )

Lol, ok thanks

3 hours ago, salellas said:

I have this exact card. If you pay attention, it boosts to 1900mhz (1940mhz in my case) out of the box on its terrible stock fan curve. That's quite a boost. 70C under gaming load is very normal. 80C under valley is also normal. If you make a custom fan curve, you can reduce both of these values by 5C at least. Mine is used in an ITX case, and still runs cool. I currently have mine clocked at 2050mhz and it does just fine in everything i throw at it. Just use a custom fan curve, as the stock one was not great at all. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

Could you gives the values for your overclock so i can se if can get the same please?

9 minutes ago, salellas said:

Could you gives the values for your overclock so i can se if can get the same please?

well i have a r9 380 but i have 1162 mhz on core and 1530 on mhz on memory with +200mV on core. forget the voltage for now

Build

Spoiler

Ooops sorry, i meant the values of mage tank. Sorry