rx 480 vs gtx 960

im looking to buy graphics card and the rx 480 is only like 30 bucks more and its says its vr ready which luke agrees with so should i buy it and how much performance from the 960 can i expect

3 minutes ago, Darkgun3396 said:

im looking to buy graphics card and the rx 480 is only like 30 bucks more and its says its vr ready which luke agrees with so should i buy it and how much performance from the 960 can i expect

Wait... are you seriously thinking of spending ~230$ on budget GPU (and presumably CPU as well) for VR? Really??

That aside, the 480 is in the 970's league of performance. It's not comparable to the 960 in the slightest.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

no i need a budget gpu and if its 200 bucks and vr ready its clearly better so i thought i would go amd

The 480 is slightly behind the 1060 but much better than a 960.

960 is last gen.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Darkgun3396 said:

480 is loads better - new generation. But for VR, that'll struggle. Look at a 1070 or wait for RX 490.

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

A 480 is far better than a 960 and only slightly better than a 970. The 960 was honestly a terrible card considering a 760 could beat it half the time in performance.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

RX 480 is faster, has more VRAM and better architecture compared to GTX 970. Only downside is 480 runs hotter (If it's refrence card than it's normal).

RIG: Intel Core2 Q8200, Sapphire HD 6670 1GB ddr3, Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, Kingston Value 2x2GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 320GB , 250 Watts of shit, Win7 Ult x64, Unknown shit case.

but linus's new video says its vr ready and thats not my plan for the card its just a bonus

thanks for all your help im definetly going with the rx 480 now or if i can spring the 1060 but probably not

9 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Wait... are you seriously thinking of spending ~230$ on budget GPU (and presumably CPU as well) for VR? Really??

That aside, the 480 is in the 970's league of performance. It's not comparable to the 960 in the slightest.

The RX 480 can do VR apparently just fine. As long as he has an Ivy Bridge or later i5 he should be fine.

I mean unless I'm wrong and even an i5 6600K wouldn't be enough, to which I may need to change my plans a bit because I was also interested in getting into VR some time shortly after I end up building my PC.

Though yeah the 480 wins hands down/no contest.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, Darkgun3396 said:

thanks for all your help im definetly going with the rx 480 now or if i can spring the 1060 but probably not

Well if you can't decide between then 2 for now picking one is quite easy.

Get whatever is available for a good price where you buy your pc stuff.

Both cards have supply issues so you have to be lucky to get one of them.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Darkgun3396 said:

rx 480

will a amd fx 8350 cpu with overclock to like 4.5 work for vr with a rx 480

4 minutes ago, Darkgun3396 said:

will a amd fx 8350 cpu with overclock to like 4.5 work for vr with a rx 480

yeah sure it'll work that's like the number 1 vomit comet combo ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR