GTX 900 series soon to be "Legacy" GPUs?!

jk441

So...

Just saw this around twitter and not sure if the news is around the forum...

Apparently the GTX900 is soon to be named "Legacy" graphics cards, and these where released around 2014 weren't they?

I personally think this is Nvidia just trying to A--H---s and playing the monopoly game to in a way "force" ppl into getting a 1000 card if they want the latest driver support.

Too early for the 900 series to drop off, or the right time for them to be dropped off?

Cow9i8WVIAANU_B.jpg

The older cards are still being supported, so "legacy" doesn't mean dropped support.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

The older cards are still being supported, so "legacy" doesn't mean dropped support.

Really, hopefully not... still it's not the best news for ppl w/ 900 series :(

Just now, jk441 said:

Really, hopefully not... still it's not the best news for ppl w/ 900 series :(

But I will admit that it's a marketing tactic by NVIDIA - if people see a product dubbed "legacy," they'll be less likely to purchase it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

They're legacy in the sense that, one, they're a last-generation product, and two, they're not being manufactured anymore. Driver updates/optimisations will still continue to be received by Maxwell products.

Legacy product =/= legacy support.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

900 series have best drivers possible right now.

They were released 2 years ago yeah ... and in 2 years they fixed what was fixable via drivers updates.

So there is no reason for new drivers.

Cards are working just fine.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Fermi is still supported, so the 900 series probably got anouther 3-5 years of driver updates.

Just now, Simon771 said:

900 series have best drivers possible right now.

They were released 2 years ago yeah ... and in 2 years they fixed what was fixable via drivers updates.

So there is no reason for new drivers.

Cards are working just fine.

They will still need support for new games 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, rn8686 said:

ditto

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

They're legacy in the sense that, one, they're a last-generation product, and two, they're not being manufactured anymore. Driver updates/optimisations will still continue to be received by Maxwell products.

Legacy product =/= legacy support.

yea... there is a bit of my over reacting (if you've guessed it yes im a 980 owner XD)

At the same time the fear of them going not necessarily killing the support right away, but dropping it much sooner than later to "force" ppl on new gen gpus.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's bit with bold letters

it doesn't mean nVidia won't release drivers for it

stop with the fearmongering

Again yes... prob me over reacting but just the fact they could pull it off made me worry :)

2 minutes ago, jk441 said:

Again yes... prob me over reacting but just the fact they could pull it off made me worry :)

didn't they do the exact same thing with 7xx series when 9xx was launched?

you still get 7xx series drivers - a few months ago, if I recall right, they announced 7xx series went into legacy support

Dont nvidia make shit drivers once thge new cards release so you switch?

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, zMeul said:

you still get 7xx series drivers

I think they did for a while. Not entirely sure if they still do though. If they keep up the driver support for a decent time, again I wont be complianing at all. Guess time will tell

2 minutes ago, jk441 said:

I think they did for a while. Not entirely sure if they still do though. If they keep up the driver support for a decent time, again I wont be complianing at all. Guess time will tell

just last month, the 14th, 7xx series got a driver - 368.81

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

just last month, the 14th, 7xx series got a driver - 368.81

arg... that's not a greatest sign for me I guess... hopefully they pull it off a little bit longer for the 900 but again doubt it

Yeah, the 700 series still gets new Drivers, but These aren't the best.

I have a GTX 760, and i can see the Performance getting worse with every Driver update...

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

Why would Nvidia simultaneously drop driver development for a GPU that they were initially forcing retailers to buy two of for every GTX 1080 ordered? 

*Pets my shiny spanking new beastly Omega 980 Tis. Two for the price of one 1080!

Linus is my fetish.

36 minutes ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

Yeah, the 700 series still gets new Drivers, but These aren't the best.

I have a GTX 760, and i can see the Performance getting worse with every Driver update...

Is this something you can verify with facts and data? 

No cause i don't record or something, but in most games, i have fraps open (only for FPS not for recording or screenshots)

But with the last driver update, in GTA and Fallout the Performance is 1-2FPS worse than before the update.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

3 hours ago, rn8686 said:

Those drivers tend to hurt performance more than help it from what I've experienced. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

Those drivers tend to hurt performance more than help it from what I've experienced. 

That's what i said.

2 hours ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

That's what i said.

Great Minda think alike eh? Anyways I chimed in because I have a 970. While you're info in good to know it's even better getting it from someone in the 900 generation. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro