Can you disable "Cortana" after Windows 10 anniversary update?

So as many people are already asking, is it possible to disable Cortana after the new upcoming update for windows 10? That is what I want to know, because I HATE Cortana so much, I find it to be intrusive and annoying that I have no input as to what I can and can not have running or installed on my PC. This is one of many things about windows 10 I really hate. So please anyone with info on how to disable Cortana post what ever you know to help myself and others find a way to disable it.

You can log out of cortana and have just a search box

http://www.windowscentral.com/you-can-disable-cortana-windows-10

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, KickinGravy said:

I have no input as to what I can and can not have running or installed on my PC. This is one of many things about windows 10

This was the reason I reverted back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, I could not stand all the bloatware and extra programs that did jack sh*t.

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

3 minutes ago, jnkokseby said:

This was the reason I reverted back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, I could not stand all the bloatware and extra programs that did jack sh*t.

Well that is something I can't do, seeing as I put windows 10 on my PC as a fresh install, not an upgrade. Believe me when I say I would put 7 on if I could

You cannot disable Cortana. In fact, even on the current build of Windows 10, Cortana could not be actually disabled, It was still communicating with Bing servers, just not showing you the results. So basically, now it isn't miss leading.

Keep in mind that you can disable the "Hey Cortana" voice stuff. But if you type: "What is the weather like today?", for example, it will work.

If you ask to be reminded, it will still work. If you use sticky notes and put a reminder, you can make it Cortana to remind you about it, and so on. Cortana is more integrated in Windows 10.

You can still clear any data that Cortana has, and you disable interests and features.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You could mangle one or more of the files required for Cortana to run, change their ownership, and set them as read-only.

Give her irreversible cancer basically.

Yes, but you loose the Start menu search.

1 minute ago, KickinGravy said:

Well that is something I can't do, seeing as I put windows 10 on my PC as a fresh install, not an upgrade. Believe me when I say I would put 7 on if I could

Do you have a Skylake processor? Because if you don't, why not just buy a cheap Code on something like g2a?

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You cannot disable Cortana. In fact, even on the current build of Windows 10, Cortana could not be actually disabled, It was still communicating with Bing servers, just not showing you the results. So basically, now it isn't miss leading.

My god, what the hell are they doing at Micosoft? I swear if Vulcan takes off, I am moving to linux and never looking back. 

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Keep in mind that you can disable the "Hey Cortana" voice stuff. But if you type: "What is the weather like today?", for example, it will work.

If you ask to be reminded, it will still work. If you use sticky notes and put a reminder, you can make it Cortana to remind you about it, and so on. Cortana is more integrated in Windows 10.

You can still clear any data that Cortana has, and you disable interests and features.

This is unfortunately true. Every local search you make on your PC, whether you have Cortana enabled or not, is transmitted to Microsoft in this way. If you open task manager and scroll through your processes, Cortana is right there. If it crashes you will be prompted to log out and log back in with an always on top alert, regardless of if you actually want this piece of spyware or not.

I feel like a lot of people won't have a lot to worry about though, because a lot of non-techies don't have webcams or microphones plugged into their PC's anyway.

Its still misleading regardless though

Just now, huilun02 said:

Meh

Alternatively you could use Netlimiter to imprison Cortana

This is what I do now, but man I just want windows 10 to be 7 but better, not IOS with windows name. I am pissed off beyond belief 

5 minutes ago, KickinGravy said:

My god, what the hell are they doing at Micosoft? I swear if Vulcan takes off, I am moving to linux and never looking back. 

Be mindful about which distro of Linux you switch too, as well. There was a hell of a stink a few years ago when Ubuntu did this exact same thing, only with Amazon instead of Microsoft.

Just now, othertomperson said:

Be mindful about which distro of Linux you switch too, as well. There was a hell of a stink a few years ago when Ubuntu did this exact same thing, only with Amazon instead of Microsoft.

Not gonna lie, I have never run linux on a PC before, but man Microsoft is making me really consider switching 

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Isnt Cortana fully integrated into the windows search index as well? 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

22 minutes ago, KickinGravy said:

You'll need more than Vulkan.

12 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Isnt Cortana fully integrated into the windows search index as well? 

Well it does use it, but No. If you use the folder search box, there is no Cortana, if that is what you are asking.

19 minutes ago, KickinGravy said:

I just want a reprogrammed windows 7, you know looks like Win7/nearly like win7, but has a faster boot load and DX12 when it actually will be useful in any way.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You'll need more than Vulkan.

No doubt, but as I said I am at the breaking point of doing it just because of Microsoft being so utterly stupid and anti-consumer and such.

23 minutes ago, 13CA350 said:

I feel like a lot of people won't have a lot to worry about though, because a lot of non-techies don't have webcams or microphones plugged into their PC's anyway.

Its still misleading regardless though

Huh? What does your mic or camera has to do with anything?

1 minute ago, jnkokseby said:

actually windows 10 comes with very little installed. 

35 minutes ago, KickinGravy said:

Yes I know you can "nerf" cortana to the point where it is just a search bar, but I want to see if there is a way to just out right fully disable it.

there isn't, until someone finds a way. Once it is just a search bar does it really matter?

Just now, vorticalbox said:

there isn't, until someone finds a way. Once it is just a search bar does it really matter?

It's the principal that matters to me more than anything. 

Just now, KickinGravy said:

It's the principal that matters to me more than anything. 

Windows by nature is a closed sourced operating system, that sort of control only comes from using a more open system.

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

actually windows 10 comes with very little installed. 

I didn't really mean bloatware like that, more like useless programs that is only there to make it look different. When I upgraded to Win10 It was all the shit like Candy Crush, all sorts of microsoft office programs, new programs to open files (Like pictures, music, videos etc.) And guess what Anti-Virus program?, fucking MCAfee. Worst part was that most of the programs couldn't even be uninstalled.