Is the "K" worth it

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Overclocking sees a slight performance increase in games such as GTA V where a higher clockspeed + more threads = more FPS. K-series CPUs are not the most cost effective option but the tinkering aspect is quite enjoyable in my opinion.

but... more threads isn't helpful in gta v afaik... tested it with and without ht and it made no difference at all.so

so having an i5 won't be a bad deal either

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

9 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

nice, that sounds awesome!  I've never dabbled with phones but sub-ambient PC cooling has been calling my name for a while now

personally... I bought an i7 4790k with a gtx 960 because I knew I'd be upgrading graphics sooner rather than later.  I sold the 960 within 2 months, now i"m running 2x gtx 980's and I'm damn glad I went i7.  If you've got the cash and wont have to make other serious hardware sacrifices for it, get the i7.

Well i already knew id be getting an i7. The question is if a guy like me can significantly benefit from the ability to overclock and if its worth like 100 bucks more.

2 minutes ago, dams3 said:

Well i already knew id be getting an i7. The question is if a guy like me can significantly benefit from the ability to overclock and if its worth like 100 bucks more.

the 100$ is throwing me off a little bit. In the US its ~$310 for a 6700, and $350 for a 6700k.  Definitely worth the 40$ in my opinion.  If it was 100$, that'd be harder to justify but I'd probably still do it :P like HK05 said, the tinker factor is almost priceless 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

3 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

but... more threads isn't helpful in gta v afaik... tested it with and without ht and it made no difference at all.so

so having an i5 won't be a bad deal either

You tested it with a GTX 970, correct? If it was a more powerful GPU such as the GTX 980Ti, you'll likely see a difference between a stock 6600K vs. a stock i7 6700K in GTA V.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

the 100$ is throwing me off a little bit. In the US its ~$310 for a 6700, and $350 for a 6700k.  Definitely worth the 40$ in my opinion.  If it was 100$, that'd be harder to justify but I'd probably still do it :P like HK05 said, the tinker factor is almost priceless 

Im counting the motherboard too

5 minutes ago, dams3 said:

Im counting the motherboard too

that is reasonable.  Its worth it IMO100% but that is me, I've also spent almost 1k$ on my custom loop so maybe I shouldn't be giving advice on "is it worth it" lol

you could probably get more performance gains by spending that elsewhere like better GPU's TBH but I'd have to work it out

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

i7 6700k has no boxed cooler included so even if you don't plan on overclocking right away you need to spend extra for cooling. 

ohhh.... well unless i end up with more money than i think ill have, ill go with the 6700

2 minutes ago, dams3 said:

ohhh.... well unless i end up with more money than i think ill have, ill go with the 6700

30$ will take care of cooling but that is another additional cost.  I didn't know they didn't include one with 6700k, I thought that was only 5xxxk and up

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

30$ will take care of cooling but that is another additional cost.  I didn't know they didn't include one with 6700k, I thought that was only 5xxxk and up

They don't since Skylake. Their argument is that people will OC it so including cooler is a waste. But instead of making it cheaper they use it for better profits.

So now all new K CPUs won't include cooler. 

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

They don't since Skylake. Their argument is that people will OC it so including cooler is a waste. But instead of making it cheaper they use it for better profits.

So now all new K CPUs won't include cooler. 

yeah that makes sense to me.  I gave mine away for free with the Intel thermal paste still on it xD

1 hour ago, dams3 said:

Right away one rx 480 and i know those 2 cpus are more powerfull than the 480 will ever need but i think of this build as a base on which i will upgrade to 2 480s or one srronger gpu in the future

Why not get a 1070 and a i5 now? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

On 31/7/2016 at 8:02 PM, Castdeath97 said:

Why not get a 1070 and a i5 now? 

the i5's bottleneck the 1070, also ill be playing at 1080p so its a bit of a waste

Just now, dams3 said:

the i5's bottleneck the 1070, also ill be playing at 1080p so its a bit of a waste

The i5 won't be a major bottleneck, not at all. seriously though consider investing in a 1440p screen.

Pascal laptops guide

48 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

The i5 won't be a major bottleneck, not at all. seriously though consider investing in a 1440p screen.

no

11 hours ago, dams3 said:

no

Why not? What is your full budget? 1440P monitors are not that expensive anymore.

Pascal laptops guide

13 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Why not? What is your full budget? 1440P monitors are not that expensive anymore.

why not ? because no. Your interest is flattering but im too bored to explain my situation. Its not just a budget thing.

35 minutes ago, dams3 said:

why not ? because no. Your interest is flattering but im too bored to explain my situation. Its not just a budget thing.

Ohh well if you insist. Regardless consider the i5 6500 with the 1060 for now, unless you plan on streaming and editing the benefit with a i7 for the 1060 with gaming tasks is minimal to mediocre with current games and not worth the extra 100-150 dollars. 

Of course if you are going to get a top tier card later on as a upgrade soon and if games in the future actually make use of 8 threads then maybe. 

Pascal laptops guide

On 31.7.2016 at 4:51 PM, Technous285 said:

Just gaming? Go with the i5-6500/K then, it'll be cheaper and if you get the K and need to overclock you can easily make up for the clock differences between the 6500/K & 6700/K.

Depends on what graphics card he will use. If he is going for a 1080, an i5 6600K will be a poor choice compared to a i7 6700K in terms of bottlenecking.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition

41 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Ohh well if you insist. Regardless consider the i5 6500 with the 1060 for now, unless you plan on streaming and editing the benefit with a i7 for the 1060 with gaming tasks is minimal to mediocre with current games and not worth the extra 100-150 dollars. 

Of course if you are going to get a top tier card later on as a upgrade soon and if games in the future actually make use of 8 threads then maybe. 

yes its pretty certain that ill upgrade my graphics to something more serious at some point

On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 10:13 AM, dams3 said:

Well im not really fond of spending like another 100 bucks on something i will probably not need

You don't need a i7 period.  Bam,  knocks off 100$ just like that.  There is no difference between a i5 and i7 for gaming.  None at all. 

1 hour ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

You don't need a i7 period.  Bam,  knocks off 100$ just like that.  There is no difference between a i5 and i7 for gaming.  None at all. 

There definitely is a difference but, you do have a point. It's not that worth the 100 extra dollars even with top end cards the gain isn't as great as it should right now.

Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

There is a difference. Games nowadays are starting to use 4 or more threads, and the hyper threading on the i7 is shown to help. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 hours ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

And that's just not true

The K is only if you want to overclock or if budget isn't an issue. (or bragging rights)

Nothing.