Is the "K" worth it

Sooo im gonna be building a new pc and im split between the i7 6700k and the i7 6700. I have never overclocked and i dont think i will unless i need to. So what im asking is; is the slightly higher clock and the overclocking ability of the i7 6700k worth it or should i get the safer i7 6700 option. Pc will be just for gaming

1 minute ago, dams3 said:

Sooo im gonna be building a new pc and im split between the i7 6700k and the i7 6700. I have never overclocked and i dont think i will unless i need to. So what im asking is; is the slightly higher clock and the overclocking ability of the i7 6700k worth it or should i get the safer i7 6700 option. Pc will be just for gaming

Depends on the user. Do you want to OC? Get the 6700k. Don't? Get the 6700. Purely user choice. And if it's just gaming, the 6500 will do you just fine as an FYI.

will you ever need it?  not likely, will you ever wish you had it?  Immediately if you're anything like me xD  I bought a 4790k as my first "real" chip and didn't even intend on overclocking it because I wanted to take good care of it.  That lasted about 2 weeks until I realized that I like overclocking as much as gaming

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Depends on the user. Do you want to OC? Get the 6700k. Don't? Get the 6700. Purely user choice. And if it's just gaming, the 6500 will do you just fine as an FYI.

Not true, youll see a difference between the 6700 and 6500 in CPU bound games.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Moress said:

That use more than 4 threads/cores? Yeah, probably. Will it realistically bother someone most likely playing at 1080p/possibly 1440p? Most likely not.

I only bought -K CPUs if there was a deal on them - since I usually don't overclock, I don't normally get them.

As the others said, it depends on your plans, if you are planning on building the system ONCE and then don't want to fiddle with it anymore to get the last ounce of performance out of it, I don't see a reason to get the -K

What GPU are you using/planning to use OP?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

4 minutes ago, dams3 said:

You don't really need an i7 at all. An i5-6500 or 6600K will be plenty. If you think overclocking might be in your future, grab the K. If you're more comfortable letting the chip run at stock speeds and/or don't want to spend the extra ~$100 on a Z motherboard and aftermarket cooler, go non-K.

1 minute ago, Moress said:

Yes, all three of them. Even then, we're talking 85 FPS vs. 80, tiny differences like that that you're not going to notice.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 minutes ago, dams3 said:

Exactly as @Starelementpoke said. If you want to Overclock then buy the 6700k. If not the buy the 6700.

if your planning to buy a GTX 1070 or 1080 I would not recommend a i5 as it may bottleneck it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

That use more than 4 threads/cores? Yeah, probably. Will it realistically bother someone most likely playing at 1080p/possibly 1440p? Most likely not.

I dont think i will be getting an i5 because they seem to be underpowered

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

The use of 6+ cores/threads is increasingly common today. This whole "games use 4 threads!" Is a misconception nowadays. 

Although youll be CPU bound very rarely at 1440p and almost never at 4k

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

I see alot of people wanting to use an i7 when their rigs are purely for gaming. While it will have an effect on fps (depending on the game) it will only be a very small fraction and almost always below a 10fps increase. This really isn't viable for the extra cost of an i7 when used only for gaming. I would suggest along with the others that you spend your money on an i5 of the same generation and perhaps purchase an unlocked one if you wish to overclock in the future. Even by buying the unlocked i5 i'm sure this is cheaper than the locked i7.

9 minutes ago, dams3 said:

You're perfectly fine with a non-K i7, but overclocking does fetch you around 5 FPS (to even 10 FPS at times).

Nothing to see here ;)

1 minute ago, dams3 said:

I dont think i will be getting an i5 because they seem to be underpowered

Your call. 

2 minutes ago, Moress said:

The use of 6+ cores/threads is increasingly common today. This whole "games use 4 threads!" Is a misconception nowadays. 

Although youll be CPU bound very rarely at 1440p and almost never at 4k

Games that use 6+cores/threads such as? And ones that see an actual benefit from using them.

9 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

Just gaming? Go with the i5-6500/K then, it'll be cheaper and if you get the K and need to overclock you can easily make up for the clock differences between the 6500/K & 6700/K.

I dont think i will be buying an i5

14 minutes ago, dams3 said:

Nothing to see here ;)

7 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

will you ever need it?  not likely, will you ever wish you had it?  Immediately if you're anything like me xD  I bought a 4790k as my first "real" chip and didn't even intend on overclocking it because I wanted to take good care of it.  That lasted about 2 weeks until I realized that I like overclocking as much as gaming

after a while it becomes a challenge to see how far you can push the hardware. I once installed a custom ROM on my htc one X disabled all thermal controls ()tcase shut down was still enabled) and sat it on a fan with the case off. 

I had the chip running at 1.9 Ghz and staying there for the whole bench mark it will running at 96C though xD worth it for the antutu points.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

What GPU are you using/planning to use OP?

Right away one rx 480 and i know those 2 cpus are more powerfull than the 480 will ever need but i think of this build as a base on which i will upgrade to 2 480s or one srronger gpu in the future

Just now, dams3 said:

Right away one rx 480 and i know those 2 cpus are more powerfull than the 480 will ever need but i think of this build as a base on which i will upgrade to 2 480s or one srronger gpu in the future

Just wait for the AIB 480's before you get one.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Just wait for the AIB 480's before you get one.

Dont worry i will

So what im getting from this is that if im not a performance whore i should get the non k. Thanks

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

after a while it becomes a challenge to see how far you can push the hardware. I once installed a custom ROM on my htc one X disabled all thermal controls ()tcase shut down was still enabled) and sat it on a fan with the case off. 

I had the chip running at 1.9 Ghz and staying there for the whole bench mark it will running at 96C though xD worth it for the antutu points.

nice, that sounds awesome!  I've never dabbled with phones but sub-ambient PC cooling has been calling my name for a while now

2 minutes ago, dams3 said:

personally... I bought an i7 4790k with a gtx 960 because I knew I'd be upgrading graphics sooner rather than later.  I sold the 960 within 2 months, now i"m running 2x gtx 980's and I'm damn glad I went i7.  If you've got the cash and wont have to make other serious hardware sacrifices for it, get the i7.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

No sign of budget limit so 6700K no problemo

Well im not really fond of spending like another 100 bucks on something i will probably not need

2 minutes ago, dams3 said:

So what im getting from this is that if im not a performance whore i should get the non k. Thanks

Overclocking sees a slight performance increase in games such as GTA V where a higher clockspeed + more threads = more FPS. K-series CPUs are not the most cost effective option but the tinkering aspect is quite enjoyable in my opinion.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder