Xioami releases their new Mi NoteBook Air with a new surprising GPU

AlTech

The negativity of this post made me think I was reading a zmuel AMD news post for a minute. These are great specs for the price. I very much envy this because I hate my laptop. Might even pick one up for myself. 

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

I'm going to slap an Apple sticker on the back of one and use it as a social experiment.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm going to slap an Apple sticker on the back of one and use it as a social experiment.

LMAO

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

To be totally honest, to me this just looks like one of those ultrabooks trying to make it into the space.  Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great.  But the Dell XPS 13, the new Asus line of macbook-like laptops and now this.  

While this looks like a great notebook it lacks a few things I think is necessary if it wants to compete with macbooks.  Although it has the hardware of a macbook, this is only really going to compete with it if there is a reason why you should buy this and not a macbook.  

Windows OS is not good enough, in fact, that's a bad point.  There are better laptops and some of them are probably available at better price points. The only reasons I can think of buying this over something like an XPS 13 is hatred of Dell.  Maybe you you dislike the Dell Bios conspiracy, or something.  Either way, if Xioami want's to have a macbook feeling on a laptop that they make they need to make an effort to provide users will one general experience. 

The best way to do this is to include an office 365 subscription like the HP stream did, and maybe offer Xioami product suite with something like a word, excel and powerpoint alternatives and media player and other tools that wouldn't be useless but would prove useful and would be unifying the experience, making it something people would actually want to buy.  If you were in college or something. 

Because, at least where I live.  Most of the people I meet studying computer science or who I meet at the security meetup (lockpicking, hacking, networking etc) use macs.  Most of them run linux on those macs.  But they do it for one reason, the hardware WORKS. 

Even on linux, most linux distros recongnize the mac hardware and offer drivers for it, maybe not FREE FREE but still free and macs unify the experience and just work.  I've used macs in the past, and currently own a Windows laptop.  It's good 8GB memory and an i7, it's good.  But, it's not unifying and I would not rely on it for serious situations. 

4 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

~snip~

Right, except the laptops you are mentioning are orders of magnitude more expensive than this one. The reason to buy Xoami's offering is because of price. People are expecting $1600 laptop specs out of a laptop that costs less than $800. Xoami brought a great cheap product to the table, and I think you missed the point with your little (albeit important, just misguided) rant. 

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

Just now, mr.squishy said:

Right, except the laptops you are mentioning are orders of magnitude more expensive than this one. The reason to buy Xoami's offering is because of price. People are expecting $1600 laptop specs out of a laptop that costs less than $800. Xoami brought a great cheap product to the table, and I think you missed the point with your little (albeit important, just misguided) rant. 

Unfortunately laptops are much more expensive here than over there, so I didn't have a proper knowledge of the price.  You are right there then.  

I didn't mean to rant. I just hate Windows.  Not because it sucks in functionality, because Microsoft taints it every time they add some consumer oriented feature eg: Spying and the app store. 

@AluminiumTech

Ayy, get better sources

The ssd is infact pci-e and the laptop also has space for another one in case you need more storage.

Source: http://www.mi.com/mibookair/

And also, it is not a workstation, the fuck are you gonna need 16gb of ram for.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

21 minutes ago, topsu said:

@AluminiumTech

Ayy, get better sources

The ssd is infact pci-e and the laptop also has space for another one in case you need more storage.

Source: http://www.mi.com/mibookair/

And also, it is not a workstation, the fuck are you gonna need 16gb of ram for.

Programming, CAD, video editing, browsing. The real question is why you wouldn't need 16Gb RAM.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Programming, CAD, video editing, browsing. The real question is why you wouldn't need 16Gb RAM.

As I said in my previous post, it is not supposed to be a workstation. Can you even read?

Curing shitposts by shitposts

I actually think this is a pretty interesting laptop.  For the price,  i would expect anything more.  8gb of ram is fine for most uses,  1080p is reasonable,  and windows doesn't scale very well above that.  Ssd is fine,  and as long as it is good,  you won't see a major difference between it and nvme

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 7/27/2016 at 2:24 AM, AluminiumTech said:

snip

Speaking of disappointing specs we have the following:

8GB DDR4 RAM - Seriously? No 16GB option?

Intel core i5 Skylake CPU

256GB SSD - If only this was NVMe or PCI-E based. And why is there no 512GB model?

Weight - It weighs 1.28 KGs or  2.82 pounds

13.3" Full HD 1920x1080 - More disappointment. The first is using 16:9 instead of 3:2  and the second is the fact that it's not high resolution. It's just 1080p. And finally i'm disappointed cos it has no touch screen.

9.5 hour battery.

Price - $750 USD

AND A dedicated Nvidia Geforce 940MX GPU- Featuring 384 Maxwell Cuda Cores @ 1122-1242Mhz with 4GB DDR3 VRAM.

Note: there will a cheaper $525 model with a 12.5" display and a Core M available as well.

Opinion time:

This laptop would be perfect if they addressed everything disappointing about it. From the lack of a 16GB RAM option all the way to a non touchscreen 16:9 display.

The GPU is really nice choice but i'm not interested. I've had too many bad experiences with dGPUs on a laptop to give  a f*ck and so that's not super helpful for me.

Thanks for reading guys.  Leave a comment below. Are you gonna buy this laptop? Were my complaints valid?

http://www.windowscentral.com/xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-now-official-and-youll-want-buy-one

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-940MX.156033.0.html

Personally i have to disagree. At this price point for an ultrabook 8GB is decent, basically every laptop is 16:9 and for a reason. I understand the benefits of other aspect ratios (I like 16:10) but thats not the norm.

I know a lot of people prefer non-touch, me included, because that means we can get a matte screen. I wouldn't mind a higher res but 1080p is a good balance of resolution, scaling, and battery life. Honestly the only thing I would change is to remove the gpu to lower the price.