PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Oh fun.

A friend just replace their garbage PSU with another garbage PSU. (Without consulting me)

I only found out because I wanted them to replace their PSU.

I think it is a Litepower W0410, but I am not sure, it is an OEM unit from Thermaltake

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Oh fun.

A friend just replace their garbage PSU with another garbage PSU. (Without consulting me)

I only found out because I wanted them to replace their PSU.

I think it is a Litepower W0410, but I am not sure, it is an OEM unit from Thermaltake

Litepower is one of those lines that has a bunch of different OEMs and platforms, it could be a low-end Delta (fine) or a low-end FSP (terrible). It's most probably a Solytech-made one, never heard of that OEM before.

Either way it's likely not good, but joke's on him

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 hours ago, Energycore said:

Litepower is one of those lines that has a bunch of different OEMs and platforms, it could be a low-end Delta (fine) or a low-end FSP (terrible). It's most probably a Solytech-made one, never heard of that OEM before.

Either way it's likely not good, but joke's on him

All I can say about it is that thermaltake doesn't think it will pass the ATX standards and kind of lists this at the bottom of the page. 

IMG_20161112_083008.jpg

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

All I can say about it is that thermaltake doesn't think it will pass the ATX standards and kind of lists this at the bottom of the page. 

IMG_20161112_083008.jpg

Those don't seem very good

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

IMG_20161112_083008.jpg

Lol 7V on the 5V rail. Say good bye to all your hard drives!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

ATX Specification states that voltages must stay within 5% of its nominal voltages, yes. However, OVP are allowed to be set much higher. For example, the Seasonic M12II-B unit uses an SITI PS223 supervisor IC which allows the 12V rail to be set up to 13.1V~14.5V; 5.7V~6.5V on the 5V; 3.7V~4.1V on the 3.3V.

All Thermaltake is saying is that the OVP is within the allowed 30% on the 12V / 3.3V and 40% on the 5V, as the FSP Epsilon-build Litepower also uses the PS223 IC.

2 minutes ago, quan289 said:

ATX Specification states that voltages must stay within 5% of its nominal voltages, yes. However, OVP are allowed to be set much higher. For example, the Seasonic M12II-B unit uses an SITI PS223 supervisor IC which allows the 12V rail to be set up to 13.1V~14.5V; 5.7V~6.5V on the 5V; 3.7V~4.1V on the 3.3V.

All Thermaltake is saying is that  are set the OVP within the allowed 30% on the 12V / 3.3V and 40% on the 5V, as the FSP Epsilon-build Litepower also uses the PS223 IC.

Hmm, interesting. I suppose it's not bad because the most likely scenario is that a very small spike goes up to that voltage, and it triggers OVP.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hmm, interesting. I suppose it's not bad because the most likely scenario is that a very small spike goes up to that voltage, and it triggers OVP.

Yep, as you said, it's set in a way to take into consideration of transient spikes, as a sudden change in load can cause the voltages to briefly spike/drop beyond specs.

Just now, quan289 said:

Yep, as you said, it's set in a way to take into consideration of transient spikes, as a sudden change in load can cause the voltages to briefly spike/drop beyond specs.

I've seen oscilloscope shots of that yeah, the wave is fine and then as the current changes it spikes then goes back to normal.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I have a question(a pretty stupid one), i'm looking at two psus right now, both are at a similar price should I always get the psu in the higher tier?

http://orionpsudb.com/news/xfx-will-rebrand-seasonics-flagship-prime-titaniumplatinumgold-line-as-the-xfx-xti-xts2-and-xtr2-series

3 months ago it was posted, but I just saw it right now and damn, XFX is making no mistakes this time :P 

On a side note, Prime Plat, Titanium and Gold...how interesting 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 hours ago, Crypt1c said:

I have a question(a pretty stupid one), i'm looking at two psus right now, both are at a similar price should I always get the psu in the higher tier?

No necessarily. Depends on what you're looking for. What two units are you looking at in particular?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, Crypt1c said:

If the issue is one being T2 and one being T3, but the T3 is also fully modular and the T2 is not (say, if you were comparing the Seasonic M12II 620W to the XFX TS Gold 650W), you can make the argument to choose the M12II even though it's T3. Because the reality is, the difference between T3 and T2/1 will not be felt on everyday usage computers, save for the amount of time the PSU lasts, and for the case of T3+, that should easily be 5 years and more.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Crypt1c said:

That would depend on which two specific units we are talking about, the price they are set at, and what sort of application they will be used in. It can also depend on each units individual advantages such as modularity, quietness, dimension, etc.

An extreme example would be I would not recommend any of the Seasonic GB based unit over the Cooler Master GM / Storm GX II (full Japanese caps version of the GM), Enermax Revolution X't, Rosewill Capstone G, FSP Aurum Pro, etc. that's in one tier under it in a dual PSU setup. In fact, you may also see me push towards those other units in more normal (as in requiring one PSU), modern day setup but still provide advantages to the GB platform (if applicable at the time of me recommending it) and let you decide on what to get.

Of course, this also assume that both units are appropriately priced. Otherwise, I will say get neither and go for something else.

Which version of the Tough Power Gold is tier 4? CWT CSG, Enhance Electronics or both?

Edit: I have worked it out, the Enhance TPG must be the tier 4, since the TT London is tier 3 and a CWT CSG the CWT CSG TPG must be tier 3.

Can we have the CWT Model names in the respected tiers? It would make it easier when I want to find out what grade it is based on the platform.

I'd expect listing exact models instead of just saying "some models". Also description of each Tier would be welcome.

Tier 2

Corsair - Most RM variants, HX

Tier 3

Corsair - "Grey unit" CXM, CSM, some RM variants

23 minutes ago, C0rn3jj said:

I'd expect listing exact models instead of just saying "some models". Also description of each Tier would be welcome.

Tier 2

Corsair - Most RM variants, HX

Tier 3

Corsair - "Grey unit" CXM, CSM, some RM variants

RM has 2 OEMs, CWT and Chicony. I believe the Chicony is the tier 3 and the CWT is tier 2. It is quite hard to distinguish through all of the models, the model number are the same, so "CP-9020056" can either mean a CWT or Chicony RM850.

Most RM's are CWT.

37 minutes ago, C0rn3jj said:

Tier one: The best you can get.

Tier two: These are great, feel free to throw anything at them

Tier three: Minimum for a somewhat power hungry PC, they are still good PSUs that you can throw anything at them.

Tier four: The lowest tier recommended to go to, good for low power consumption machines

Tier Five and below: Best samsung note 7 you can buy

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Can we have the CWT Model names in the respected tiers? It would make it easier when I want to find out what grade it is based on the platform.

You might be able to do this with Seasonic, but since CWT is an OEM that will build to the spec that their buyer had set (it's not a direct rebrand of a platform with some minor changes that they will allow), I don't think you can group them together as a whole.

Take Corsair for example. The CX750 / M, GS Bronze / v2 / 2013 edition, and TX750Mv1 are all CWT PUQ-B. We know that it is based on a good platform, but they are each rated for 30C, 40C and 50C respectively and the TXM has a 5 year warranty - signifying that the TXM may have a more robust components selection than the rest. Then there are companies that just started out, pick a CWT platform, and simply went with the bare minimum for that platform, while other less reputable companies will take that platform and overrated it by 100-200w (taking a 750w model and call it a 850w).

I don't want to be in a situation where I suggested the TX750M for example, and someone be like "oh, you say that's a PUQ-B? This say it's tier...so I'm not going to get it" and have it be misrepresented.

3 minutes ago, quan289 said:

You might be able to do this with Seasonic, but since CWT is an OEM that will build to the spec that their buyer had set (it's not a direct rebrand of a platform with some minor changes that they will allow), I don't think you can group them together as a whole.

Take Corsair for example. The CX750 / M, GS Bronze / v2 / 2013 edition, and TX750Mv1 are all CWT PUQ-B. We know that it is based on a good platform, but they are each rated for 30C, 40C and 50C respectively and the TXM has a 5 year warranty - signifying that the TXM may have a more robust components selection than the rest. Then there are companies that just started out, pick a CWT platform, and simply went with the bare minimum for that platform, while other less reputable companies will take that platform and overrated it by 100-200w (taking a 750w model and call it a 850w).

So a napkin comparing by saying that a Sharkroon based on a DSA-III so it is ruffly a tier 4 or 5 because the CXv3 is also DSA-III and the ModXstream is a DSA is not valid?

Please correct me if I do something stupid or get something wrong, I don't want wrong information to go out.

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Tier Five and below: Best samsung note 7 you can buy

I disagree with that. It goes like this

T5 - only recommended for light usage, pushing it to its max won't blow it but might introduce system stability and will definitely not last very long at full power 24/7

T6 - minimum recommended for any light usage computer period, should be fine if you treat it like it can only output 75% of its power, but will have some kind of flaw that makes them suspect for all but the lightest of usages.

T7 - Don't get these, they break ATX spec in more than one critical way that will put your components in danger. Very likely to blow if you pull full power from it, less likely if you keep it cool and only draw 50% of its power.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

So a napkin comparing by saying that a Sharkroon based on a DSA-III so it is ruffly a tier 4 or 5 because the CXv3 is also DSA-III and the ModXstream is a DSA is not valid?

Please correct me if I do something stupid or get something wrong, I don't want wrong information to go out.

Yeah I think that's what quan meant.

For instance, the platform of the original CX430, 500, 600, were CWT units overrated by some amount, with temp rating set at 25C to protect the components in the case that someone dared pull full power from them. If they were called the CX400, 450 and 500 instead of 430, 500 and 600 they would have likely been one tier higher.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

No necessarily. Depends on what you're looking for. What two units are you looking at in particular?

I was looking at the Seasonic s12g and corsair grey unit cxm, but I've just found a Super flower Leadex for around the same price so I think I'll be going for that. Thanks for the help tho!

1 minute ago, Crypt1c said:

I was looking at the Seasonic s12g and corsair grey unit cxm, but I've just found a Super flower Leadex for around the same price so I think I'll be going for that. Thanks for the help tho!

I would take the S12G over a Leadex Silver, but if that's a Leadex Gold, go right ahead.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I would take the S12G over a Leadex Silver, but if that's a Leadex Gold, go right ahead.

It's gold :)