PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Finally decided to replace the Time Bomb with this:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-supernova-550-g2-80-ba-111661.htm

Should be here within a week.  Odds are Friday or Monday actually, I'm pretty close to one of the warehouses and things I order from them usually get here in ~2 days.

Can't go wrong with the G2 :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Should be here within a week.  Odds are Friday or Monday actually, I'm pretty close to one of the warehouses and things I order from them usually get here in ~2 days.

I'm sure the Time Bomb wasn't that bad...I haven't managed to make my EVGA 430Watt 80+white blow up yet so...

Things I've done with it:

Fold with an i5 2300 and 7950 for a month 24/7 (with literally no airflow)

Overclocked a FX4300 (with 2 broken pins resulting it being basically useless...or in the eyes of everyone else) to 4.9GHz

Run 2 7950s mining off it cause I'm stoopid (but it didn't blow...to be fair, they were both clocked at 525MHz as both had stability issues...probably was the PSU thinking about it as they worked fine at 925MHz with my XFX XXX PSU...).

So yeah, my "do whatever" PSU still hasn't blown yet...maybe I should stop being so negative towards them :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I didn't realise the G2 550W had a 7 year warranty. I thought it had a 5 Year Warranty.

It is even better value than I realised.

You choose well.

--------------------------

Some Saltyness from me:

The EVGA G2 has gone up by $10 since the GQ started to sell in Australia.

Piss off EVGA and PCCG! I am defiantly now getting the RMi.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I'm sure the Time Bomb wasn't that bad...I haven't managed to make my EVGA 430Watt 80+white blow up yet so...

Overclocked a FX4300 (with 2 broken pins resulting it being basically useless...or in the eyes of everyone else) to 4.9GHz

Run 2 7950s mining off it cause I'm stoopid (but it didn't blow...to be fair, they were both clocked at 525MHz as both had stability issues...probably was the PSU thinking about it as they worked fine at 925MHz with my XFX XXX PSU...).

So yeah, my "do whatever" PSU still hasn't blown yet...maybe I should stop being so negative towards them :P 

floatplane pilot...?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

floatplane pilot...?

LTT's new early Access thing :) 

Couldn't live 7 days without new Linus content :/ 

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

floatplane pilot...?

The replacement for vessel, you can download the videos from the forum.

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

ah

26 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I mean, that doesn't seem that bad to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I mean, that doesn't seem that bad to be honest.

I am considering it. I am also considering buying an apple music subscription. 

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Can't go wrong with the G2 :)

Yeah I figured :P 

My mentality had always been that PSUs are like lightbulbs, and they just burn out every few years and need to be replaced and so you may as well get the cheapest one.  But that was long ago; I realize now that if you don't cheap out they don't die so often xD  And with a 7 year warranty, I can carry it over to my next build and be covered for quite some time :) 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well it claims to deliver 440 W on the 12 volt rails but only has one 6+2 pin PCIe connector :S 

Since I will soon be needing 2 8 pins, I considered using a splitter but I have been wanting to replace my current one anyway* and figured this would be a good time.

*Even from new I realized it wasn't exactly amazing but I really started to worry when this list put it in Tier 6.  I've been really lucky with PSUs so far in my life, having - on PCs of mine and others' - had many die but without taking anything else with them so far and don't really want to push my luck any further.  Furthermore, I've realized the one I have is the cause of a boot problem I have, that, admittedly, is more of a minor nuisance than anything, but it's a sign...

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I didn't realise the G2 550W had a 7 year warranty. I thought it had a 5 Year Warranty.

It is even better value than I realised.

Yeah it seemed good to me.  A friend recommended this and while I wasn't able to find anything similar (or better) in that price range, I decided I was comfortable spending a little more (since it's already going to be "that much") to get something even nicer (modular, longer warranty, etc.)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah it seemed good to me.  A friend recommended this and while I wasn't able to find anything similar (or better) in that price range, I decided I was comfortable spending a little more (since it's already going to be "that much") to get something even nicer (modular, longer warranty, etc.)

I am now starting to despise Canadian prices. 1AUD = 1CAD, but Canada seems to be a fair bit cheaper, even after you remove the 10% tax that is included in Australian prices. 

$5 to $10 per part adds up really quickly.

19 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I am now starting to despise Canadian prices. 1AUD = 1CAD, but Canada seems to be a fair bit cheaper, even after you remove the 10% tax that is included in Australian prices. 

$5 to $10 per part adds up really quickly.

Well everything here has cost way more than it should since the currency crashed about 2 years ago, but luckily it's just a currency conversion from USD most of the time, and nothing more.  I know other countries have it worse, where their local price is actually the conversion + some extra amount "just because". :( 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

A T5 or T6 PSU is not really a timebomb tbh, it depends on how it's built but mostly nah.

But what you say about the cards being less stable with it is acccurate. Less stable 12V inputs mean that the VRMs give out less stable ~1V outputs. Increasing the voltage target could guarantee stability because the dips don't go below the minimum needed by the silicon, but it will increase thermal dissipation.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

A T5 or T6 PSU is not really a timebomb tbh, it depends on how it's built but mostly nah.

Well I'm not about to run a ~280W card on the one I had :D I think between the extra load and heat, it would probably be enough to finish it off :P 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I'm not about to run a ~280W card on the one I had :D I think between the extra load and heat, it would probably be enough to finish it off :P 

Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know :D

For a while I ran a CM Extreme Power Plus (T6, 386W max, no PFC, no 80+) on an OC 560 Ti (1GHz, 1125mV) that should easily have drawn 300W off the PSU, and it didn't die, wasn't unstable or anything. I still bought a new PSU anyway because that was pretty scary, but you'd figure that I should have been punished by having the PSU die.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Review for the Corsair CX650M over at TomsHardware!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650m-psu,4770-11.html

As expected, we would have put this unit on Tier 2 if it wasn't for its sleeve bearing fan, which is likely to go out within the warranty period assuming normal usage of the PSU.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Review for the Corsair CX650M over at TomsHardware!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650m-psu,4770-11.html

As expected, we would have put this unit on Tier 2 if it wasn't for its sleeve bearing fan, which is likely to go out within the warranty period assuming normal usage of the PSU.

I remember when PSUs had 2 fans...  I had one and one day one fan failed but it was fine because it still had 1 working :P

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

But what you say about the cards being less stable with it is acccurate. Less stable 12V inputs mean that the VRMs give out less stable ~1V outputs. Increasing the voltage target could guarantee stability because the dips don't go below the minimum needed by the silicon, but it will increase thermal dissipation.

Da, my EVGA 430Watt still hasn't blow yet...which makes me trust them more than old CXs as one blew up (600watt) powering a single 770 and a 3770K, ye :P 

Hi, I stumbled upon this topic and was wondering what tiering would my PSU be at. I own a Super Flower Leadex Silver 80+ 550W power supply, and I see the Leadex line right at the top of the heap. However, I realise that the Silvers aren't really that common/popular and mine isn't even on PCPartPicker, hence my doubts and wanting to get an 'appraisal', of some sort.

Here's the link from the website itself: http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=24&ID=125&lang=

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Arcanyx said:

Hi, I stumbled upon this topic and was wondering what tiering would my PSU be at. I own a Super Flower Leadex Silver 80+ 550W power supply, and I see the Leadex line right at the top of the heap. However, I realise that the Silvers aren't really that common/popular and mine isn't even on PCPartPicker, hence my doubts and wanting to get an 'appraisal', of some sort.

Here's the link from the website itself: http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=24&ID=125&lang=

Thanks!

Superflower is amazing OEM, they don't sell PSUs outside Europe. 

That said it is 230V 80+ Silver and only supports 220-240V, that sprays some red flags.

There isn't any reviews for it yet. 

I can say that it is a very efficient PSU.

4 hours ago, Arcanyx said:

Thanks!

Superflower is the Seasonic of the East from what I've heard and know. It'd probably be tier 3 min, I'd probably just guess Tier 2 due to the Silver and if they are in fact the Seasonic of the East, everything else should be fine.

5 hours ago, Arcanyx said:

Thanks!

It appears to be about on-par with a Corsair CS, so needless to say, not absolutely awful and could probably power just about any system. Probably wouldn't put two GPUs in a system with one though.

7 hours ago, Arcanyx said:

Thanks!

This might help you

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12704

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Arcanyx said:

Thanks!

Looking at its design, and who made it, it's probably Tier 3 and you don't have to worry about it :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Superflower is amazing OEM, they don't sell PSUs outside Europe. 

That said it is 230V 80+ Silver and only supports 220-240V, that sprays some red flags.

There isn't any reviews for it yet. 

I can say that it is a very efficient PSU.

I actually live in Asia, and the go-to rig builder here in Malaysia actually carries a wide variety of Super Flower PSUs (among other brands like Seasonic/Silverstone/Xigmatek/FSP/CM). What does that red flag actually mean, though?

3 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Superflower is the Seasonic of the East from what I've heard and know. It'd probably be tier 3 min, I'd probably just guess Tier 2 due to the Silver and if they are in fact the Seasonic of the East, everything else should be fine.

Well it was either this unit or a Seasonic that a friend had recommended, so if you're right with that then I guess it would be some odd coincidence in my options. :P

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It appears to be about on-par with a Corsair CS, so needless to say, not absolutely awful and could probably power just about any system. Probably wouldn't put two GPUs in a system with one though.

I'd think the most I would even go for is a single 1070; is 550W even adequate for an SLI config?

22 minutes ago, Energycore said:

17 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Looking at its design, and who made it, it's probably Tier 3 and you don't have to worry about it :)

Took a look at the thread, interesting that the model isn't common but not all that surprised I guess. My other initial option was a Seasonic 80+ Bronze 620W, but wasn't too pleased it was non-modular.

-------

Thanks for all the replies, everyone :)

Not too informed on PSUs so it was refreshing to know where my model is ranked at. If I had to work towards replacing it, would y'all have any particular recommendations based on the tier list? Probably something to last me the next 5+ years and could handle possible 2-way SLI/Crossfire. This is where I would usually aim to get my major parts from.

Not that I'm keen to simply upgrade, but oddly enough I have a HTPC currently sitting on an 8 year old 300W Liteon OEM PSU and its high time I take note of its age, potentially swapping it out for this Super Flower.