PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

3 hours ago, Dive5885 said:

Well I learned something new today!

Thanks for all the info.

So lets say I get this psu : http://www.lepatek.com/eng/product_content/1/1/66/#produkte

Would that 30a be enough to power a 390X or would it trigger the over protection?

No, you should not trigger the OCP. Each 12V rail is rated for 30A (360w) but the actual value for the OCP is 40-55A (480-660w). There's two 6+2 pin PEG per rail across 12V2-12V4 (totaling six PEG connectors), but a portion of your power draw will be coming from the PCIe slot which is rated for up to 75w, and that's coming from the 12V1 rail.

1 hour ago, quan289 said:

No, you should not trigger the OCP. Each 12V rail is rated for 30A (360w) but the actual value for the OCP is 40-55A (480-660w). There's two 6+2 pin PEG per rail across 12V2-12V4 (totaling six PEG connectors), but a portion of your power draw will be coming from the PCIe slot which is rated for up to 75w, and that's coming from the 12V1 rail.

I just want to make sure the power supply can handle 2x390X gpus in crossfire and a 4930K.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

14 hours ago, Dive5885 said:

I just want to make sure the power supply can handle 2x390X gpus in crossfire and a 4930K.

It will.

One thing though. The two 6+2 pin PEG connectors hardwired to the PSU and the modular connector right next to it are on the 12V4 rail. Whether you used the hardwired or that modular connector for one of the GPU, don't plug the other GPU into it as well. Used one of the other two modular ports.

2 hours ago, quan289 said:

It will.

One thing though. The two 6+2 pin PEG connectors hardwired to the PSU and the modular connector right next to it are on the 12V4 rail. Whether you used the hardwired or that modular connector for one of the GPU, don't plug the other GPU into it as well. Used one of the other two modular ports.

Okay, Well  I was actually thinking about that last night.

So I wont use the PCI-E that's hard wired but instead I would use the Modular PCI-E cables to connect to each card.

Untitled.png

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

I know that Corsair has Corsair Link on the RM and 'i'-suffixed models, Thermaltake has SPM on the DPS series PSUs and Coolermaster has Coolermaster Connect on the Masterwatt Maker. 

Is there any other brands that have similar monitoring capabilities? I was going to get the EVGA G2, but paying a little more for data monitoring seems like a smart investment, $30 AUD more for the RMi 750W over the G2 750W is nothing in the long run. 

8 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I know that Corsair has Corsair Link on the RM and 'i'-suffixed models, Thermaltake has SPM on the DPS series PSUs and Coolermaster has Coolermaster Connect on the Masterwatt Maker. 

Is there any other brands that have similar monitoring capabilities? I was going to get the EVGA G2, but paying a little more for data monitoring seems like a smart investment, $30 AUD more for the RMi 750W over the G2 750W is nothing in the long run. 

http://www.evga.com/supernova/

Apparently EVGA has something for it as well. Also, can I have your Earthwatts if you do upgrade? I wanna pull an Austin, and I got a 7970 lying around that needs to be Xfired with my 7950.

8 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Considering how Corsair had been doing it since AXi in 2012, they have more time to refine the software. If I were to invest in a PSU with monitoring capabilities, I would go for Corsair at this time. But another company is Enermax with their " Zero Delay Power Monitoring System" / ZDPMS for their Digifanless and the upcoming DigiTytan and Platimax DS.

The Etasis build NEX1500 unit for EVGA also had monitoring, but the unit had been discontinued.

13 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I'm not sure of the use of monitoring software for your PSU, but I would also go Corsair, grab the cheapest -i one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139137

Funnily enough, the RM750i is priced competitively for a 750W unit, get it while it's hot!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

16 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Corsair's new RMx series don't have the Corsair Link AFAIK.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

http://www.evga.com/supernova/

Apparently EVGA has something for it as well. Also, can I have your Earthwatts if you do upgrade? I wanna pull an Austin, and I got a 7970 lying around that needs to be Xfired with my 7950.

My ($3.25) Earthwatts EA 380 will be purposed for my x1950 Pro, Pentium D 820 system, the PSU it has is not the best and the earthwatt is about the right age for it.

I am also guessing you didn't see how I was powering my R9 280 and GTX 760.

Spoiler

1474295188282-454925334.jpg

56 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

My ($3.25) Earthwatts EA 380 will be purposed for my x1950 Pro, Pentium D 820 system, the PSU it has is not the best and the earthwatt is about the right age for it.

I am also guessing you didn't see how I was powering my R9 280 and GTX 760.

Hide contents

1474295188282-454925334.jpg

Oh.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Corsair's new RMx series don't have the Corsair Link AFAIK.

They don't RMis are RMxs with Corsair Link on top.

But RMxs are so reliable that you really shouldn't need to look at your voltage numbers unless you're an extreme overclocker. Configuring the fan curve is a nice-to-have but I would only recommend a RMi if it's no more than $10 over the RMx average

(but if you want a PSU, the RM750i is $120 over at newegg, so go get that and be happy about it).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Energycore said:

They don't RMis are RMxs with Corsair Link on top.

But RMxs are so reliable that you really shouldn't need to look at your voltage numbers unless you're an extreme overclocker. Configuring the fan curve is a nice-to-have but I would only recommend a RMi if it's no more than $10 over the RMx average

(but if you want a PSU, the RM750i is $120 over at newegg, so go get that and be happy about it).

I'd get the RMi for the FDB fan as this allows it to be mounted in a case like the Air 240 without ruining the fan as it's not being lubricated (rifle bearing fans are fun that way).

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

8 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'd get the RMi for the FDB fan as this allows it to be mounted in a case like the Air 240 without ruining the fan as it's not being lubricated (rifle bearing fans are fun that way).

So rifle bearings don't like being upright? lol

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

So rifle bearings don't like being upright? lol

The way a rifle bearing fan is mounted in a PSU is usually OK because most people have their PSU mounted traditionally (like it is in a Define S or H440, etc) but mounted vertically, a rifle bearing isn't lubricated.

IMG_9499.JPG

If the fan ever came on in an RMx while it was mounted like this it would eventually die.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

59 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The way a rifle bearing fan is mounted in a PSU is usually OK because most people have their PSU mounted traditionally (like it is in a Define S or H440, etc) but mounted vertically, a rifle bearing isn't lubricated.

IMG_9499.JPG

If the fan ever came on in an RMx while it was mounted like this it would eventually die.

But on the other hand sleeve bearings behave better like that.

Ah well. All hail the FDB

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Hmm, I'm by no means an expert on fans, but can you provide any information where a rifle bearing fan will not be lubricated in a vertical mounted position? Although I think I can see where you may be coming from, the nature of the spiral groves was a solution to sleeved bearing's problem of being mounted horizontally, in which not only would it hold onto the lubricant but the rotational force of the fan would pump it throughout the fan shaft. This should be true in the vertical position as well.

Of course, rifle bearing fan is still prone to leakage due to the imperfect seal (unlike FDB whom oil chamber is perfectly seal). Not to mentioned if the PSU is facing downwards in the horizontal position, the weight of the propeller would be hanging from the bearing off of a single plastic disk, and the force of the air blowing upward would push it down even further (which can affect its lifespan as well. How much? that I don't know).

5 minutes ago, quan289 said:

Hmm, I'm by no means an expert on fans, but can you provide any information where a rifle bearing fan will not be lubricated in a vertical mounted position? Although I think I can see where you may be coming from, the nature of the spiral groves was a solution to sleeved bearing's problem of being mounted horizontally, in which not only would it hold onto the lubricant but the rotational force of the fan would pump it throughout the fan shaft. This should be true in the vertical position as well.

Of course, rifle bearing fan is still prone to leakage due to the imperfect seal (unlike FDB whom oil chamber is perfectly seal). Not to mentioned if the PSU is facing downwards in the horizontal position, the weight of the propeller would be hanging from the bearing off of a single plastic disk, and the force of the air blowing upward would push it down even further (which can affect its lifespan as well. How much? that I don't know).

My best source of knowledge on fans.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/779-computer-case-fan-bearing-differences

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Sadly, the author of that article, Steve Burke, didn't cover rifle bearing fans.

I've seen articles saying how rifle bearing can be mounted in a horizontal position (such as one from Tomshardware and Hardware Secrets) but never once heard of anything about it sacrificed it ability be mounted vertically in order to do so.

I guess I'll do some more thorough research when I'm less busy. Have to go now.

Hey!

I have a question... I just upgraded my PC with 780ti (I had 770) and my pc turns off when under load. I see that my present PSU is tier 6 (OCZ Fatal1ty 750W). I found a good deal EVGA P2 750W  for 52 usd. Will it do the trick?? I just want my new GPU to work :<

Cheers

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

18 minutes ago, Ekst4zy said:

Hey!

I have a question... I just upgraded my PC with 780ti (I had 770) and my pc turns off when under load. I see that my present PSU is tier 6 (OCZ Fatal1ty 750W). I found a good deal EVGA P2 750W  for 52 usd. Will it do the trick?? I just want my new GPU to work :<

Cheers

A P2 for 52 USD is a steal. I'd check that it's possible to return it in the event something is wrong with it and call it good :)

It's used ofc and I can't really check it... but person selling it has proof of purchase. 10 years warranty on it. I think I'm good ;)

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

ALSO GUYS WE GOT IT PINNED HOW DID THIS HAPPEN AHHHH YES

You should thank @Ryan_Vickers

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

You should thank @Ryan_Vickers

And Windspeed ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.