Please Explain Star Citizen

XplosiveNoctua99

So, i don't know how to "Buy" Star Citizen....

do i buy a ship???? 

plz explain

thanks

Also

is the game good? 

What sort of Scifi game is it?

How big is it?

is it a game that has a lot of replayability?

Do different ships make the game better? (i of course was planning to buy the cheapest ship :P )

Please help me :D

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Hello there,

In order to purchase the game you just buy a package, or a ship yes. Then you will get access to the alpha that you can download.

1.The game is great so far yes. It is very early stage though, it is far from being released so do not expect a ton of content or bug free.

2.It is about life in space, spaceships and blowing stuff up :D as well as exploration, industry and other stuff. Read up on their main website :)

3.Not sure on current size as there are constant updates, but less than 20GB from what i remember.

4.It will once it is out properly (in a year or two)

5.I guess they do, depends what you like but it is always good to have choice.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

1 minute ago, iiNNeX said:

Hello there,

In order to purchase the game you just buy a package, or a ship yes. Then you will get access to the alpha that you can download.

1.The game is great so far yes. It is very early stage though, it is far from being released so do not expect a ton of content or bug free.

2.It is about life in space, spaceships and blowing stuff up :D as well as exploration, industry and other stuff. Read up on their main website :)

3.Not sure on current size as there are constant updates, but less than 20GB from what i remember.

4.It will once it is out properly (in a year or two)

5.I guess they do, depends what you like but it is always good to have choice.

is the game world big.... id asssume so because space lol

which package would you reccomend... the $45 with just a ship or $60 with squadron 42? 

and what is the insurance thing? 

is there in game currency or is it microtransactions?

thanks again

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

Just now, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

which package would you reccomend... the $45 with just a ship or $60 with squadron 42? 

thanks again

1. It will be insanely big, but currently it is not that huge. Still enough to waste a couple of days exploring random bits of space and the city you have limited access to. You can test guns and see outfits, different ship models and what not.

2. Any package you can afford, I've spent over £350 on it so far so my recommendation will be different from what others would say. Get the ship you like most.

3. Insurance means when the game comes out and your ship goes bang, you can get it for free or for a fee (ingame currency). If you do not have insurance once it is destroyed it is gone forever.

4. Yes there is in game currency.

This shows you what is currently available to play: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

2 minutes ago, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

thanks again

Squadron 42 is a different game entirely as far as I'm aware.

You pay $45 USD for either the Aurora MR or the Mustang Alpha.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

1. It will be insanely big, but currently it is not that huge. Still enough to waste a couple of days exploring random bits of space and the city you have limited access to. You can test guns and see outfits, different ship models and what not.

2. Any package you can afford, I've spent over £350 on it so far so my recommendation will be different from what others would say. Get the ship you like most.

3. Insurance means when the game comes out and your ship goes bang, you can get it for free or for a fee (ingame currency). If you do not have insurance once it is destroyed it is gone forever.

This shows you what is currently available to play: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

Is there some sort of demo? so i can try it out to see if i like it?

And do they do refunds?

sorry for so many questions :P

6 minutes ago, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

And do they do refunds?

No there isn't as the game is not out yet, it is in Alpha stage. Not sure if there ever will be a demo.

No they don't refund as far as I am aware.

No problem :)

11 minutes ago, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

And do they do refunds?

You would have to check at rsi.com or .net i dont remember but i believe they have a free flight going on for like another week.  Either way they have a free to fly week about every 2 months where you can download the game and play for free for a week.  I dont know the details but this game is technically still pre alpha.  Its super hyped but at this point youre not buying a game.  Sure you get the game when it comes out but buying the game this early and buying a ship (which you wont have to do when it releases) is that you are supporting its development.

It sounds like youre looking for a completed game to play, if thats the case you should hold off because right now its not very big, people are doing the same few "missions" over and over, and its more of a place to mess around and find bugs than a real game.  The developers do seem to be pretty good about using this data to improve the game so far but right now they are pushing pretty hard to get Squadron 42 out, which is the single player part of the game, and is being released as a separate game because its planned to be that big.

Take a look at the free flight options tho.

17 minutes ago, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

And do they do refunds?

They don't have demo currently, but they got this summer free flight event. It gives you access to 3 ships for one week. 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Summer-Free-Fly-2016 

As it's been said on the thread, Star Citizen is not finished yet. It's in Alpha and currently has a hangar module, a flight combat module, Arena Commander, and two Universe modules, ArcCorp (social) and Port Olisar (freeroam, has PvE missions and full PvP outside the main station). Star Citizen in itself is a space sim MMORPG, and has stemmed from the original project, which was a Wing Commander successor, Squadron 42.

Right now, you're not buying a game. You're pledging. You're betting on the project, with the confidence that it'll be finished. Will it? Maybe, maybe not. But while it has received heavy criticism for it's slow progress, it's also true that playing a lot of build over a long time leaves you with a different feeling. Plus, most AAA titles take a very long time to get done. It's just that people are only able to follow the development for the last 2-3 years before release.

For now, pledges are done by buying game packages. These packages include the game, a ship, some in-game currency, a personal hangar and insurance for the ship. You can also buy additional ships, equipment and in-game currency, and upgrade your package's ship.

How does insurance work? When the game is released your package's included insurance will start to count down. For its duration, if your ship gets blown up or stolen, you'll receive another one free of charge, in its stock configuration. If that happens and you don't have insurance, you'll be without a ship. Insurance won't cost a lot so everyone should be able to afford it easily after doing a couple missions.

Will there be microtransactions? Yes. People will be able to buy in-game currency with real money after release as well, but the purchasable amounts will be limited to avoid economy destabilisation and P2W, since in-game currency will be used for everything: buying ships, insurance, equipment...

In regards to ships there is not necessarily a "better one". Every ship is suited to a role, and even within that role, each ship has strengths and weaknesses. Get a cheap one and upgrade to one that suits you. Free flight lets you try different ships, and after buying a package, you can rent ships with a special currency you earn by playing Arena Commander called REC.

Finally, if you decide to buy a package, I'd like you to use our referral code generator, so one random person from this community benefits from your pledge.

If you have any other questions, post them in this thread, in the general discussion thread, or join us in our discord server over at http://discord.uoltt.org

Shamelessly self-promotes

On 7/22/2016 at 1:16 PM, colt92 said:

If you have any other questions, post them in this thread, in the general discussion thread, or join us in our discord server over at http://discord.uoltt.org

^All the this. 

I only lurk... wait a sec-...

My only two contributions to society: SC Ship Guide / Squadron Logos

So in order to earn alpha access you must buy something first ingame? That's kinda shady. Is their anyway to be a mercenary or something?

15 hours ago, 42kq said:

So in order to earn alpha access you must buy something first ingame? That's kinda shady. Is their anyway to be a mercenary or something?

No. In order to earn alpha access you have to make a pledge with a package that includes Star Citizen, that is, the game itself.

15 hours ago, 42kq said:

Crowd-funding pledges are the ONLY revenue stream that goes into the development of Star Citizen. There is no publisher money or corporate investments behind this project, just us regular folks.

Unfortunately, Star Citizen in-game items and alpha access can not be directly exchanged by these shady characters for things like food and underwear, so they settle for money instead. It's a bizarre and alien concept, I know. :)

And yes, once the game is out, you can be a mercenary, either for NPCs or for players and orgs willing to hire you. 

is anything happening with this game yet?  Id like to know except I'm not eager to wait for a ten hour download..  

2 hours ago, Matacks said:

is anything happening with this game yet?  Id like to know except I'm not eager to wait for a ten hour download..  

The "Around the verse" show CIG put out on Youtube has weekly episodes and gives a decent breakdown of what all the studios are working on at the moment, with pictures, videos and interviews. And @Napper198 gives a nice further TL;DW breakdown of each episode in this forum section, since the episodes are usually 30+ minutes long.

On 22. 7. 2016 at 6:07 PM, iiNNeX said:

So you pay 60$ to play this game and after you loose your ship, you need to pay another 60$.

I also saw price for some ship to be around 18k $ lol

Whoever made this game, will be rich pretty fast.

But it seems kinda bad that you have to buy new ship with real money everytime you destroy it. Most of the players can't afford that.

I don't have any problem with spending 100$ on game that I will have access for ever, but paying for ingame stuff ... not such a big fan of that.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

47 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

So you pay 60$ to play this game and after you loose your ship, you need to pay another 60$.

But it seems kinda bad that you have to buy new ship with real money everytime you destroy it. Most of the players can't afford that.

I don't have any problem with spending 100$ on game that I will have access for ever, but paying for ingame stuff ... not such a big fan of that.

You got that wrong.

1. When the game is out, no one will be able to buy ships with real money. Only in-game money, which you will be able to buy, but limitedly.

2. You will only lose your ship if it is not insured, something that will cost very little to maintain (and will depend on the ship, of course). Insurance will be bought with in-game money as well.

On 22/07/2016 at 11:58 AM, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

So, i don't know how to "Buy" Star Citizen....

do i buy a ship???? 

plz explain

thanks

Also

is the game good? 

What sort of Scifi game is it?

How big is it?

is it a game that has a lot of replayability?

Do different ships make the game better? (i of course was planning to buy the cheapest ship :P )

Please help me :D

1) you buy a game package that will contain the game itself a ship and some other odds and ends. There are packages for the mp game star citizen and the sp game Squadron 42, they are no longer bundled without an additonal cost tacked on (thus the cheapest package for both games is $60)

2) currently it all just has potential there is actually little to do

3)Dunno how to answer this tbh

4) Currently its very small as for what the future holds hard to say but I imagine it will be quite large

5)They can depends if you wanna specialize in 1 skill or do diffrent things in game, and even if you focus on 1 major way to make money there will be much better ships that can do the job you wanna do then a starter ship.

On 22/07/2016 at 0:04 PM, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

thanks again

6)If you are only intrested in the mp games this https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-SC-Starter
If you want both mp and sp games this https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Combo

7) insurance replaces you ship if its damaged/destroyed (I dont think ship modifications are included mind you)

8) Yes there is currently in game currency and there will be in the final game, To my understanding microtransactions and buying anything (other them maybe expansions?) with real world money wont be a thing in the final product. currently ships being "bought" is just a reward/insentive for people who pledge to the game.  

On 22/07/2016 at 0:14 PM, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

And do they do refunds?

9)They have freefly weekends every now and again, keep an eye on the RSI site to see when one comes up.

10) Technically yes they have issued refunds but its not a widely done thing, as I mentioned this is a pledge. you are not actually buying a product. They just so happen to be giving out game licenses to people who pledge. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

4 hours ago, Simon771 said:

As it has been said thats not how it works 

When the game launches you buy the game, all ships you get will be in game ships with in game money, if your ship is blown up its not replaced without insurance and you need to buy it with in game money again. with insurance it'll be replaced.

Also no ship is priced at $18,000. it is a pledge to help fund the game, that is what you are paying for. The ship is a thank you for doing that. As I said when the game drops no one will by able to buy that ship with RT money it will need to be bought in game.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

16 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

As it has been said thats not how it works 

When the game launches you buy the game, all ships you get will be in game ships with in game money, if your ship is blown up its not replaced without insurance and you need to buy it with in game money again. with insurance it'll be replaced.

Also no ship is priced at $18,000. it is a pledge to help fund the game, that is what you are paying for. The ship is a thank you for doing that. As I said when the game drops no one will by able to buy that ship with RT money it will need to be bought in game.

Oh okay, in that case it will be awesome :)

I don't know much about this game, but when I saw those high prices I taught I was pay to win kind of game.

Any idea when we can expect release?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

11 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Oh okay, in that case it will be awesome :)

I don't know much about this game, but when I saw those high prices I taught I was pay to win kind of game.

Any idea when we can expect release?

anything you hear regarding release is an educated guess at best, and blind dates at worse. 

You can be assured its a ways off til it "goes gold" though 

System Specs

You can hate me for that but i think its a giant scam operation. He can never deliver on all of the promises. So yeah people will be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

You can hate me for that but i think its a giant scam operation. He can never deliver on all of the promises. So yeah people will be disappointed.

No one here will hate you for your opinion, but it is just that. An opinion. We here in this subforum are of the opinion that this game will deliver on most of our expectations. It would be unrealistic to expect all promises to be kept no matter what project. Some people will be bound to be disappointed.

What is a fact is that this game is not a scam: they have set up four studio locations, hired several contracting companies, and shown real development, albeit slightly slower than some would like. You can be of the mind that it is a scam, but that will not negate the fact that a game will come out. Whether it delivers on all it hopes is another matter.

I only lurk... wait a sec-...

My only two contributions to society: SC Ship Guide / Squadron Logos

I'm an early backer myself (Freelancer in 2012) and I consider my money "spent".

I naturally hope that they will manage to pull everything off as planned. I tend to hang around the rsi chat and help.. I'll just let Chris Roberts do his job in peace.