Why did Nvidia drop the new Titan all of a sudden?

afyeung
1 minute ago, Suika said:

If I'm paying another $600 for anything, it's going to be for a second 1080. Getting a Titan series GPU doesn't seem like a wise investment for me, but I know the Ti is around the corner.

I seriously had the high end for half a week before I hear news of it being obsolete.

Not obsolete. The 1080 is a monster. And if you mix in Nvidia's marketing the increase over the 1080 will be less that a second 1080 would give you. You're golden. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

43 minutes ago, Suika said:

I I don't think NVIDIA can go fuck themselves by trapping enthusiasts into spending their money on a 1080 and then announcing a consumer version of GP102 as soon as the smoke clears. Not at all. Nope.

Nothing new, but it damn sure continues to piss people off.

39 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Nothing new, but it damn sure continues to piss people off.

This was a record time for them, 2 whole freaking months. Even the GTX 980 lasted longer until the original Titan X launched.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

ive got a 1080 and dont understand why anyone who has one would be disappointed by the titan release. there have been titans before, we knew a new one was coming, this ones not even as good as many of us were expecting. my 1080 is as good today as it was yesterday and i was happy with its performance yesterday as well as today. 

the only thing that would possibly disappoint me would be if a 1080ti came out next week for the same price as the 1080 and the 1080 was heavily reduced. 

11 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

ive got a 1080 and dont understand why anyone who has one would be disappointed by the titan release. there have been titans before, we knew a new one was coming, this ones not even as good as many of us were expecting. my 1080 is as good today as it was yesterday and i was happy with its performance yesterday as well as today. 

the only thing that would possibly disappoint me would be if a 1080ti came out next week for the same price as the 1080 and the 1080 was heavily reduced. 

Yep pretty much that.

I just bought 2 1080s and am perfectly happy with the result. Not only that but the Titan will most likely cost as much as both cards and still be slower :)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Just now, iiNNeX said:

Yep pretty much that.

I just bought 2 1080s and am perfectly happy with the result. Not only that but the Titan will most likely cost as much as both cards and still be slower :)

yep, if i had a £1200 budget rather than a £600, id have got 2 1080's over a titan anyway. back to budget, even if a 1080ti came out now, it would be over my single card budget 

11 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

yep, if i had a £1200 budget rather than a £600, id have got 2 1080's over a titan anyway. back to budget, even if a 1080ti came out now, it would be over my single card budget 

Not only that but it seems to be the better deal. The GTX x80 series have always come out first (780, 980, 1080 ect...) and have always been faster than whatever the previos high end single gpu card was. For example the 1080 is 20 to 25% faster than a 980ti and old Titan X, yet they costed a lot more on release. I used to always wait for the fastest single gpu of that generation and buy those to keep for a year till the next one is out, but I realised that buying the xx80 series card works out cheaper and is faster as long as you upgrade it to the same model of the newer generation every year.

If that makes sense.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

10 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Nothing can compete with it so free money. Also, bottlenecks guaranteed unless you have at least a 6 core.

wasnt it supposed to also be bottolnecked by the i7 6950x

9 hours ago, afyeung said:

Not in the US. And especially not in the used market

used is not 'enthusiast'

5 hours ago, LordLeewee said:

Wait. So you'd rather buy two cards that won't work together in all games, than one card that out performs one of them by 60% for the same money and has no SLI concerns? How many games have better than 60% scaling? 

8 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Seeing the power draw from the my wife's 1080 versus my 980 Ti, I would expect the Titan to use about as much as the 980 Ti.

that is my life goal (a wife who likes hardware) by the way i got the gtx 1080

i would like to wait for G100 chip(i.e big pascal) and a fully used chip (i know it would cost like $2000 and woudnt be available in india for like 5 monthts after us launch)

1 minute ago, Scitesh said:

i would like to wait for G100 chip(i.e big pascal) and a fully used chip (i know it would cost like $2000 and woudnt be available in india for like 5 monthts after us launch)

We all have our dreams brother. I've never had a Titan and dreamed of having one. Pretty sure this one is it.

8 hours ago, Suika said:

If I'm paying another $600 for anything, it's going to be for a second 1080. Getting a Titan series GPU doesn't seem like a wise investment for me, but I know the Ti is around the corner.

I seriously had the high end for half a week before I hear news of it being obsolete.

i dont think 980 became obsolete the moment 980ti arrived (neither did my 970) 

11 hours ago, othertomperson said:

That's not remotely how this works.

Then please explain how.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

14 hours ago, App4that said:

We all have our dreams brother. I've never had a Titan and dreamed of having one. Pretty sure this one is it.

neither have i this is my 3rd system and here are my GPUs GTX 750TI, R9 280 (second system),GTX 970 ,GTX980TI and GTX1080 (got it 3 days ago)

The reason i havent goon back to AMD (and galax) is that there after sales support is pretty bad 

(in mumbai atleast) ASUS and gigabyte have the best service 

14 hours ago, App4that said:

If you have any server companies or graphic designers they may have one lying around that they can sell. It's how I got an extra for my Steam Server.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It's still not as bad as the shield naming. First the handheld was the shield, then the tablet, then the pseudo-console/streaming device. Next they will have a cell Phone called the shield lol.

Seriously though, as usual over on reddit the hardcore AMD fanboys are saying this is nvidia reacting to Vega, but by this point they should know that nvidia have these launches planned out months in advance, with the exact date being settled on once the release window opens up (once they have cards ready to go). Why they are releasing the titan xp now May be a fishing expedition to see how AMD and the market react. It also makes the price of the 1080 look good.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

It's still not as bad as the shield naming. First the handheld was the shield, then the tablet, then the pseudo-console/streaming device. Next they will have a cell Phone called the shield lol.

Seriously though, as usual over on reddit the hardcore AMD fanboys are saying this is nvidia reacting to Vega, but by this point they should know that nvidia have these launches planned out months in advance, with the exact date being settled on once the release window opens up (once they have cards ready to go). Why they are releasing the titan xp now May be a fishing expedition to see how AMD and the market react. It also makes the price of the 1080 look good.

i dont think Vega is not coming for the next 3-5 months or more