Verizon is cracking down on some Unlimited users who use exactly what they paid for

AlTech
34 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Gaming itself doesn't use huge amounts of bandwidth. Now if you used mobile data to actually download GTA V, then I would consider that excessive...

Yeah I did that too XDD

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

27 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

80-100mb an hour is not a significant amount of data, Its only about .22 Mbps, this would not negatively affect other users who are sharing the wireless airwaves with you. The problem is when you're downloading things and maxing out the speed so other users get shafted. And in your case, if your only option is mobile internet in your region, then that would not be considered abuse. But you also aren't using an unlimited plan so its moot.

Yeah, I can't even download a 1GB game with my 30GB limit because that is a days worth of data :P

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

This whole topic is a moot point. Unlimited means unlimited, and at the same speed every one else gets. If it's too much then cancel the service. 

Anyone with true unlimited isn't under contract. They are just trying to scare the extreme users into cutting back some.

The cell phone business in the US is getting cut throat. The very last resort would be to cancel service.

My son uses 20-30gb a month on YouTube alone. I have 3 true unlimited plans for $150 a month. My plan is so old it was under Altell  wireless.

Verizon knows that no one is going to step up to another plan if they threaten cancellation. I'm going to another carrier.

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

I have no idea why anyone is still with Verizon at this point. Ridiculous business model.

Unrealistic pricing. Unrealistic customer service. Etc.....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, huilun02 said:

America

Really? :| 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Absolutely no support for this.  

One it's false advertising. Two DATA USE DOESN'T MATTER A SINGLE BIT.  ONLY BANDWIDTH. 

300GB per month spread evenly is only....  Are you ready for this????  

ONE MEGABIT PER SECOND.  One. 

If you want to make a change to the mobile data plan, start limiting peak bandwidth after a certain amount. Even 10 mbps. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

29 minutes ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

The cell phone business in the US is getting cut throat. The very last resort would be to cancel service.

Lol cut throat. Let me know when premium plans are $25 per month and $15 per month gets you >10GB data.

I get 14GB for less than $15. My provider offers 20GB for $16, which is tempting except I just don't need that much.

And that's in a country with generally higher prices than in the US.

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Lol cut throat. Let me know when premium plans are $25 per month and $15 per month gets you >10GB data.

I get 14GB for less than $15. My provider offers 20GB for $16, which is tempting except I just don't need that much.

doesn't help US has a land mass / population density issue that a lot of European countries don't have. It is not easy to have full nation coverage.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

doesn't help US has a land mass / population density issue that a lot of European countries don't have. It is not easy to have full nation coverage.

Except the population is still very urbanized, and cell phone coverage is arse out in the wilderness - meaning it isn't costing them anything.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is a screenshot from Verizon's website. it looks like I might have been correct when I said 100GB.

Normally an "Unlimited" option would be there but I don't see any.

verizon.PNG

Wtf are those prices...? There are options in Europe where you get 20Go for 20€, so those 2Go for 35$ seem horribly wrong... ??

11 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Wtf are those prices...? There are options in Europe where you get 20Go for 20€, so those 2Go for 35$ seem horribly wrong... ??

That's why our GPU's cost less :^)

15 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Local prices (for me) converted to USD work out like this

These are prices for SIM only contracts.

1GB = $25 USD/month

2.5GB = $30.69 USD/month

6GB = $38.42 USD/month

10GB = $56.47 USD/month

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Local prices (for me) converted to USD work out like this

These are prices for SIM only contracts.

1GB = $25 USD/month

2.5GB = $30.69 USD/month

6GB = $38.42 USD/month

10GB = $56.47 USD/month

Why is that so expensive?

4 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Why is that so expensive?

This is for LTE-Advanced which they advertise as 375Mb/s maximum speed.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

31 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

I mean cut throat as in competition and not price. 

Thats part of the reason why our prices are so high.  I have had a cell phone since the late 90's. 

This is the first time the US had ever had price competition for cellular service. T-mobile and sprint is really finally creating some competition.

And as a side note, T-mobile was almost  bought out by at&t, until the government rejected it.

I hate to imagine how bad we would have it if it T-mobile wasn't around.

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Wasn't Verizon already doing this? Or was that AT&T?

I believe T-Mobile was doing this to users who were using Terabytes worth of data. Verizon is probably doing this to users who are using 20+GB of data.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

36 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

That's why our GPU's cost less :^)

Yeah but you don't buy a GPU every month ;)

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

I have 10 GB on 3G and 30GB on 4G with my 2.9 EUR/month plan. After that it gets throttled to... I don't know what speeds tbh (I checked and it's 128 kbps down and 64 kbps up) , I never used that much internet. Oh, and also unlimited voice calls in any other national network.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I got 2 months of free unlimited data from my provider, i just got a new laptop so i used it to download some steam games, used 850 GB in 2 months. When the 2 months were up they gave me an additional free month xD

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

I have no idea why anyone is still with Verizon at this point. Ridiculous business model.

Unrealistic pricing. Unrealistic customer service. Etc.....

Because their service/coverage is far superior and short of going with a cut rate provider like MetroPCS I wouldn't save much money. My family uses just over 3gb of data each month. Verizon's 4gb plan costs $50+$20/line. Sprint's 6gb plan costs $45+$20/line. So for me, Sprint is only $5 less per month but has worse service. Sure, I'm getting more data, but I don't need more data. Project FI is similar too, as  are basically all first rate providers.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because their service/coverage is far superior and short of going with a cut rate provider like MetroPCS I wouldn't save much money. My family uses just over 3gb of data each month. Verizon's 4gb plan costs $50+$20/line. Sprint's 6gb plan costs $45+$20/line. So for me, Sprint is only $5 less per month but has worse service. Sure, I'm getting more data, but I don't need more data. Project FI is similar too, as  are basically all first rate providers.

I like how Project Fi uses T-mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular networks, and hopes onto the strongest signal.

3 hours ago, pwn_intended said:

I back this move by Verizon. When someone uses their unlimited plan as if it were a proper home internet plan that IS abuse. It is an unlimited mobile data plan, meant for use with your phone. I am certain that what they define as "extra-ordinary" is when they have people torrenting 50+ gigs a month on mobile plans while tethering to their pc's. This ruins the experience of other users in their vicinity limiting their speed. This may not be a big deal in rural areas, but in congested city centres this is a huge problem.

If you think 50 GB a month on ANY data plan, home or otherwise, is alot, you're in the wrong place bro.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

450 for 100 GB lol wtf. I pay $20 + $10/GB at MB increments on Project Fi. I use about 2-4GB a month

Well, Verizon's rates aren't too bad. If you were to go with Google's rates, that's $1000 a month which is insane. 

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Absolutely no support for this.  

One it's false advertising. Two DATA USE DOESN'T MATTER A SINGLE BIT.  ONLY BANDWIDTH. 

300GB per month spread evenly is only....  Are you ready for this????  

ONE MEGABIT PER SECOND.  One. 

If you want to make a change to the mobile data plan, start limiting peak bandwidth after a certain amount. Even 10 mbps. 

That's a poor way to put it because that's the same as someone going to a buffet and taking all the crab legs. Sure, over the course of half an hour, they only eat 1 a minute which isn't much. But because the restaurant can only serve a finite amount at a given time, he shouldn't be able to take all of it and leave none for the other diners. Similarly, someone that is consistently hogging all the data and bandwidth at a given time should be punished and depriotized.