Verizon is cracking down on some Unlimited users who use exactly what they paid for

AlTech

Verizon is cracking down on users taking advantage of the word "Unlimited'. Anybody using over a certain amount will be asked to upgrade to a higher tier plan despite the word "unlimited" in the plan tier description, Verizon wants people using "an extraordinary amount of data" to pay for a new higher tier price it will launch in August.

All customers exceeding the amount have been notified and have until August 31st to switch.

According to sources of ours, Verizon is working on an Unlimited Data Plan Migration for the highest unlimited data users on their network. Starting tomorrow, July 21, Verizon will begin notifying users who have been flagged as using that "extraordinary" amount via mailer and through bill messages and explain to them their options to stay with Big Red.

According to the report, users who are alerted will have until August 31 to switch to a tiered plan, otherwise their line may be disconnected. If disconnected, the customer will have up to 50 days to reactivate with a new plan, the report says.

I think Verizon are being a little obnoxious and annoying since paying for "Unlimited" plans should not require upgrading if you use too much. The idea of an "Unlimited" plan should be to allow customers to use the average amount of data used plus or minus 50GB.

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-expected-crack-down-unlimited-customers-using-extraordinary-amount-data

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Wasn't Verizon already doing this? Or was that AT&T?

IDK But Verizon is going to start doing this now.

I think it was Comcast doing it before.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I back this move by Verizon. When someone uses their unlimited plan as if it were a proper home internet plan that IS abuse. It is an unlimited mobile data plan, meant for use with your phone. I am certain that what they define as "extra-ordinary" is when they have people torrenting 50+ gigs a month on mobile plans while tethering to their pc's. This ruins the experience of other users in their vicinity limiting their speed. This may not be a big deal in rural areas, but in congested city centres this is a huge problem.

When in doubt, re-format.

If it's not suppose to be unlimited don't call it that in the first place

Now ready the pitchforks

pitchforks.png

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Now ready the pitchforks

pitchforks.png

Exactly! Say "50GB" or "100GB" don't use Ambiguous language and raise hell whenever you feel like it.

Just now, Jonnyswboy said:

Please define "extraordinary" users.

Probably like 100GB xD.

When I was using a $70/month (more like $100/month with fees and the monthly phone payment), I had unlimited phone data, but I had a limit on how much I could tether.  I don't remember how much but I think it was either 2 GB or 5 GB/month, or none.  With my current plan ($32-33/month including fees, no phone payment cause I paid it in full, 100 minutes, unlimited text, 5 GB), I get 5 GB of tethering.  Also, my tethering stops at 5 GB, whereas my phone continues working but very slow.  Also with T-Mobile Binge-On, I get unlimited video streaming on some sites like youtube, etc.  (Idk how that works with tethering though.)

Really, though, I would like to be able to have unlimited tethering, but even my phone needs its internet upgraded for what I'd want to do with tethering.  Last I checked, I think I was getting 25mbps down / 7mbps up with my home internet ($55/month cable in San Diego area) at my parents' house, and around 60mbps down / 28mbps up or so on my T-Mobile internet.  (Yes, my phone's upload is faster than my home's download!)  I have a Panasonic FZ1000 camera that records 4K at 100mbps, and I would like to be able to live-stream from the camera in 4K.

This is a screenshot from Verizon's website. it looks like I might have been correct when I said 100GB.

Normally an "Unlimited" option would be there but I don't see any.

verizon.PNG

"unlimited", the new limited.

Really, calling something unlimited when it's not and then changing your mind half way through because you realize some people will actually make use of that unlimited connection instead of just browsing their emails and facebook, is just anti-consumer practice. I hope they get sued or something for this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Verizon is cracking down on users taking advantage of the word "Unlimited'. Anybody using over a certain amount will be asked to upgrade to a higher tier plan despite the word "unlimited" in the plan tier description, Verizon wants people using "an extraordinary amount of data" to pay for a new higher tier price it will launch in August.

All customers exceeding the amount have been notified and have until August 31st to switch.

I think Verizon are being a little obnoxious and annoying since paying for "Unlimited" plans should not require upgrading if you use too much. The idea of an "Unlimited" plan should be to allow customers to use the average amount of data used plus or minus 50GB.

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-expected-crack-down-unlimited-customers-using-extraordinary-amount-data

I agree, Unlimited means unlimited. Verizon needs to outline the plan better on this issue.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Wasn't Verizon already doing this? Or was that AT&T?

I think it was AT&T

1 minute ago, swordsman247 said:

WOW...

Yup

Just now, pwn_intended said:

I back this move by Verizon. When someone uses their unlimited plan as if it were a proper home internet plan that IS abuse. It is an unlimited mobile data plan, meant for use with your phone. I am certain that what they define as "extra-ordinary" is when they have people torrenting 50+ gigs a month on mobile plans while tethering to their pc's. This ruins the experience of other users in their vicinity limiting their speed. This may not be a big deal in rural areas, but in congested city centres this is a huge problem.

I cannot argue against this point. I agree unlimited means unlimited but its not high speed, High bandwidth internet access for gigaquads of data download... :| 

Cell/mobile providers need to earmark the limitations of their plans or freaking use another moniker to describe the plan. People see Unlimited and that is as far it it goes.

I could break Verizon and AT&T in a court over this . . .

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Now ready the pitchforks

pitchforks.png

That torch looks like he's preparing for the Olympics.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, SansVarnic said:

I agree, Unlimited means unlimited. Verizon needs to outline the plan better on this issue.

I think it was AT&T

Yup

I cannot argue against this point. I agree unlimited means unlimited but its not high speed, High bandwidth internet access for gigaquads of data download... :| 

Cell/mobile providers need to earmark the limitations of their plans or freaking use another moniker to describe the plan. People see Unlimited and that is as far it it goes.

I could break Verizon and AT&T in a court over this . . .

It seems like they did remove the Unlimited plan. Look above where it showed the data plans. They removed Unlimited from the list.

I left Verizon after they wouldn't let me use unlimited data anymore once I switched to another phone. I'm on the road a lot and I consistently use 200+GB in some months. T-mobile hasn't had any issues with my usage, and while their service quality isn't quite as good as Verizon, I'm much happier with them anyhow.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is a screenshot from Verizon's website. it looks like I might have been correct when I said 100GB.

verizon.PNG

450 for 100 GB lol wtf. I pay $20 + $10/GB at MB increments on Project Fi. I use about 2-4GB a month

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

verizon.PNG

Verizon got rid of the Unlimited plan about four years ago. Anyone who's still on an unlimited plan has just not upgraded since then (unless they added the unlimited plan back and I was unaware).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

14 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

I played GTA V for a week on mobile data.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

Just now, refinedskillz said:

I played GTA V for a week on mobile data.

Gaming itself doesn't use huge amounts of bandwidth. Now if you used mobile data to actually download GTA V, then I would consider that excessive...

16 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

We cannot get cable internet at our house, but a full 4G signal. I have a 30GB Data plan for 2 people, including my dad who uses 10GB-15GB a month and me who uses 10GB-15GB on my phone, and about 5GB lightly using my computer.

Just now, pwn_intended said:

Gaming itself doesn't use huge amounts of bandwidth. Now if you used mobile data to actually download GTA V, then I would consider that excessive...

I also played games a lot, and I used about 80-100MB an hourm sometimes 150-200 for games that use off-computer processing.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

My dad used to have a genuine unlimited plan back before 4g was a thing. Then he upgraded to a 4G phone he bought, rooted it and installed a free hotspot, and then constantly went over 100GB a month. Now he is on a 0$ a month plan with sprint

10 minutes ago, Dubesta11 said:

We cannot get cable internet at our house, but a full 4G signal. I have a 30GB Data plan for 2 people, including my dad who uses 10GB-15GB a month and me who uses 10GB-15GB on my phone, and about 5GB lightly using my computer.

I also played games a lot, and I used about 80-100MB an hourm sometimes 150-200 for games that use off-computer processing.

80-100mb an hour is not a significant amount of data, Its only about .22 Mbps, this would not negatively affect other users who are sharing the wireless airwaves with you. The problem is when you're downloading things and maxing out the speed so other users get shafted. And in your case, if your only option is mobile internet in your region, then that would not be considered abuse. But you also aren't using an unlimited plan so its moot.

Those prices damn didn't know mobile data was so expensive in the US.

Anyhow there is something like fair use. if some one would be downloading like 500gb a month over a wireless plan than well yeah that would be excessive.

Anyhow without any numbers it is hard to say if this is a move I can back or not.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute