Verizon is cracking down on some Unlimited users who use exactly what they paid for

AlTech
2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

If they don't have the infrastructure, they should either stop offering the unlimited plan or upgrade their infrastructure. Taking the unlimited plan away from those not really using the unlimited data wouldn't have to be a downgrade. They could just change the plan to be the same except with eg. a 100GB data cap. If that's where they're cutting it off anyway, what's the point of calling it unlimited for anyone?

The average consumer would still likely be upset if they no longer had an unlimited plan and it was capped at 100gb even if they only used 4gb. Plus, as Verizon's infrastructure grows that cap could increase with it. Verizon clearly doesn't mind people using an unlimited amount of data -- they probably wouldn't care if you used 200gb/month if it was spread out evenly and not affecting other customers. They're clearly going after people who are negatively affecting their network and as a result, other customers.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

40 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The average consumer would still likely be upset if they no longer had an unlimited plan and it was capped at 100gb even if they only used 4gb. Plus, as Verizon's infrastructure grows that cap could increase with it. Verizon clearly doesn't mind people using an unlimited amount of data -- they probably wouldn't care if you used 200gb/month if it was spread out evenly and not affecting other customers. They're clearly going after people who are negatively affecting their network and as a result, other customers.

That doesn't make it okay to deceive them. That's like saying it's okay to cheat on your partner as long as you make sure they don't find out.

Verizon clearly DOES mind people using an unlimited amount of data. And they have shown no evidence that those people are negatively affecting the network.

Times have changed people. If you believe a company has to uphold every plan and feature they've ever had forever your an idiot consumer. There was no reason to cap Internet when speeds kept usage under control. This is a new Era and new rules and regulations apply. This is not the past people get over it.

I used to believe that 'unlimited' should be 'unlimited' but there are many cases outside of telecommunications that are the contrary and accepted.

Soft drinks. Many restaurants offer free refills. However, that does not mean I can bring in my own bottle and start filling that. "But I thought it was free refills?" Sorry, there are limits.

All you can eat buffets. These buffets advertise all you can eat. But there are limits. You can't just grab all the food and take it home and claim, "but I thought it was all you can eat? I'll just be eating this later". Sorry no.

As long as Verizon is targeting the abusers, like the analogies above, then I'm okay with it. Users should not be allowed to tether a cell phone connection and have it torrenting hundreds of gigabytes of data onto a home computer. That's abuse, plain and simple.

I've since switched to T-Mobile's unlimited plan and I'll be honest I miss Verizon's coverage and stability. That being said, the prices were too much but when you're the best mobile carrier in the US, you can charge these kinds of prices.

They're doing this because they're not making money off these users.  Plain and simple.  The cost of data delivered, even via cell towers, is single digit percentages of what a regular user pays on their data bill.  Power users cost more.  They impose data caps to artificially inflate profits and then lie to consumers claiming "oh well these users are congesting the networks we haven't kept up, blame them!" As a misdirection.  

Remember, they're posting record profits.  And we see huge spending on mobile ads.  Because the market is huge money for them.  

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Everytime i consider moving to America i see this and instantly turnaround that rain of thought. £25/ month on PAYG for unlimited 4g.

450$ for a 100gb cap? lmfao. No.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I know the last post was 6 days ago, but I wanted to chime in and say that this has basically ruined my business and is forcing me to move now.

Got the letter today and immediately called Verizon. Spoke to the supervisor and their manager and they claim to have not heard of this at all.

I live up in the mountains where dialup is the only internet option.

So to go from 60mb / 15mb to 56k would be a deal breaker for me.

I regularly use 500GB a month and I live in a pretty remote place, so I doubt I'm causing any traffic congestion.

Had this plan for five years now and I'm not giving it up.

I'll go to the deepest layer of hell to keep it.

Up yours Verizon.

e7503.png

On 7/21/2016 at 9:26 AM, TetraSky said:

"unlimited", the new limited.

Really, calling something unlimited when it's not and then changing your mind half way through because you realize some people will actually make use of that unlimited connection instead of just browsing their emails and facebook, is just anti-consumer practice. I hope they get sued or something for this.

Unlimited data plans were offered for 3G smartphones. IIRC once LTE smartphones were out, unlimited was no longer offered.

Oh, here's the letter that was sent for anyone curious.

FuckVerizon.jpg

On 7/21/2016 at 0:19 PM, AresKrieger said:

If it's not suppose to be unlimited don't call it that in the first place

Now ready the pitchforks

pitchforks.png

I have a better idea.

No artificial data caps allowed. EVER. For mobile or land based services. Upgrade your networks to handle the traffic, because we, the tax payers, PAID YOU TO.

NOW you can ready your torches and pitchforks.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 21-7-2016 at 6:25 PM, AluminiumTech said:

This is a screenshot from Verizon's website. it looks like I might have been correct when I said 100GB.

Normally an "Unlimited" option would be there but I don't see any.

verizon.PNG

Those are really insane prices, 450 dollars for 100GB??

I once downloaded 234GB Dr. House in a month and the price stood the same, 52 euros, around 60 dollars.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, CTR640 said:

Those are really insane prices, 450 dollars for 100GB??

I once downloaded 234GB Dr. House in a month and the price stood the same, 52 euros, around 60 dollars.

That's because Europe has strong consumer protection laws.

Whereas in the US, we have strong anti-consumer laws, thanks to our wonderful corporate sponsored government

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

That's because Europe has strong consumer protection laws.

Whereas in the US, we have strong anti-consumer laws, thanks to our wonderful corporate sponsored government

That sounds very very horrible.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, CTR640 said:

That sounds very very horrible.

Indeed it is.

Sadly, we can't be asked to stop fighting each other over manufactured scandals and fake social wars, to sit up and ask ourselves why congress is now legally allowed to accept bribes. Also Known As "lobbying", and even worse, why coporations are considered people.