I bet you didn't know a CPU can melt PETG! Fun Pics inside.

I learned a valuable lesson last night.   It turns out that a water block on a 5820K can get hot enough to melt PETG tubing.  

For some reason my Pump stopped working when plugged into the CPU fan header.   Because of this my heat spiked and I didn't realize it at first.  Highest recorded temp before I shut the machine down was 89C according to CAM.   However I think PETG has a softening point closer to 220C.   

So both the inlet and outlet got so soft that the O-ring was able to compress the tube substantially.  This of course led to a failure of the seal and a major leak.   Thankfully nothing was damaged but it was a tense moment when water first dripped then sprayed out of the fitting.   

My main concern at this point is potential damage to the CPU due to the heat spike.  If not only the block but the tubing managed to soak up this much heat I know the CPU must have been baking.  

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Just now, SSL said:

Yeah, water cooling seems like it's worth it.

It really is.  But like anything you have to watch what you are doing and pay attention.  I didn't do that this time and I am paying for it.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

4 minutes ago, KWelz said:

However I think PETG has a softening point closer to 220C.  

Pretty sure PETG has a much lower softening point then that. I remember some guy used boiling water to bend his tubes.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I understand you are worried about the cpu but don't forget it can react to the temperature in milliseconds.

That thing adjusts itself like a LOT every second, the cores are fast enough to turn completely off for a few milliseconds and then turn back on again with like such a small delay it's probably barely measureable.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, vong said:

Pretty sure PETG has a much lower softening point then that. I remember some guy used boiling water to bend his tubes.

85 degrees

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

85 degrees

Good to know.  Maybe I was thinking of melting temp.   

Still.  I am impressed.  LOL

Heat isn't too bad on X99. The power can be immense though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Well now you know your compression fittings are working! 

Glad nothing got damaged!

It advertise for max 60celsius. PETG is pretty much the only type with this problem. Anything else you cannot overheat. Because long before it happens you will get blue screen.

Not 100% sure about PVC but even then i think you cannot overheat. Im using PETG. But the coolant never exceed 40celsius.

I have a bad chip so it gets much hotter than coolant. While the gpu actually have the exact same heat.