Corsair release their new ML series fans

10 hours ago, exyia said:

It still amuses me how much people will spend on fans (the costs add up like crazy) yet run them at "silent" rpm levels where the pressure is hardly any different from budget competing fans

Actually, the advantage of "premium" fans (like my NF-A14's and NF-F12) are that they move more air and have more pressure than budget fans at lower RPM's. A single NF-F12 of mine running on the low-noise adapter (1200 RPM) moves more air than my old, crappy case fans at around 2,000 RPM- and it's so much quieter. It even does a better job than my Corsair SP-120's at 1500 RPM at less noise.

I used to be quite active here.

13 hours ago, exyia said:

It still amuses me how much people will spend on fans (the costs add up like crazy) yet run them at "silent" rpm levels where the pressure is hardly any different from budget competing fans

Or just be like my and get $22 worth of fans for free plus another $33 w/ my case.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I bought fractal fans a while ago... All I hear is my stupid old GPU's (mainly the top one, the bottom one I put an aftermarket cooler on after the original broke).

I need a new GPU... no money though lol

but im satisfied with my fractal fans in terms of quietness. Just have all 140mm fans and run them at a low rpm. (more fans and lower rpm seems to work well)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Kobathor said:

Actually, the advantage of "premium" fans (like my NF-A14's and NF-F12) are that they move more air and have more pressure than budget fans at lower RPM's. A single NF-F12 of mine running on the low-noise adapter (1200 RPM) moves more air than my old, crappy case fans at around 2,000 RPM- and it's so much quieter. It even does a better job than my Corsair SP-120's at 1500 RPM at less noise.

I thought about buying a couple of premium fans. But when you can get two decent fans for the price of one great fan... I chose two fans and ran them at a lower rpm than I would the nice fan. 

moves a good amount of air and is quiet. *shrug*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Glad I didn't go with those, mine do 64.3 CMF at 1500 RPM-and they are extremely quiet as well

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Glad I didn't go with those, mine do 64.3 CMF at 1500 RPM-and they are extremely quiet as well

No they don't. Go ahead and look at case and radiator fan roundups from the past couple years. Gentle Typhoon is still he kind for performance/dB all the way from 400 RPM up. The industry never standardized how to measure CFM or Static Pressure. That's why CoolingTechnique on YouTube became a popular source for the truth.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

No they don't. Go ahead and look at case and radiator fan roundups from the past couple years. Gentle Typhoon is still he kind for performance/dB all the way from 400 RPM up.

Yes, they actually do. http://www.jaycar.com.au/120mm-super-long-life-low-noise-maglev-bearing-case-fan/p/YX2584

PMSL

30 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Nope, Gelid typically over provisions its ratings by 30% or more. Comprehensive reviews and comparisons from SilentPCReview

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1266-page7.html

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page9.html

Your Gelid 12 loses to the Gentle Typhoon both on temps and on noise.

The problem with Gelid is the lack of static pressure lets a lot of the air escape or backdraft in a positive pressure situation. In a negative pressure situation, the construction pulls on the blade hub which distorts both the torque of the motor and the bearing noise. Gelid doesn't make well-constructed fans, period. That's why no one has dethroned the Gentle Typhoon yet. I suspect Noctua finally will with their active noise cancellation fans when they finally get released, but for now, GT or go home if you want low noise and consistent, high performance.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How comes this is suddenly news? I have had my ML120 pro's for almost a week, got 3 of them to replace the awful h100i gtx fans and one for my hybrid cooler for my 1080. Nice fans though :)

I have a pair of corsair sp 120 and the amount of air the push is quite surprising, they are a bit noisy though, if those are cheap here as well (plain base model looks great) I might buy 2

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

Nope, Gelid typically over provisions its ratings by 30% or more. Comprehensive reviews and comparisons from SilentPCReview

The problem with Gelid is the lack of static pressure lets a lot of the air escape or backdraft in a positive pressure situation. In a negative pressure situation, the construction pulls on the blade hub which distorts both the torque of the motor and the bearing noise. Gelid doesn't make well-constructed fans, period. That's why no one has dethroned the Gentle Typhoon yet. I suspect Noctua finally will with their active noise cancellation fans when they finally get released, but for now, GT or go home if you want low noise and consistent, high performance.

The decibel rating seems correct....

Edit: this will take a while to read-these (Antec TwoCool 120) came with my newest case.

PMSL

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Ok...I don't know what's up with the Wing 12 that they were reviewing, but they missed the 700 and 500rpm benchmarks (also, the fans are the same-but are branded Duratech Precision. When I was buying networking gear from the same store a few months ago they had the Gelid branded fans on the shelves-same specs etc). I can say right now as well, most of the noise is actually from the airflow-with the motor being very quiet, and they still do better on my Siedon 120V than the stock fan did-especially since its push/pull.

PMSL

27 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The decibel rating seems correct....

Edit: this will take a while to read-these (Antec TwoCool 120) came with my newest case.

That's because the industry doesn't have standardized readings. Maybe it's 15db at a distance of 3 meters, but most people are within 1 meter of their towers, hence SPCR and CoolingTechnique doing their measurements from that distance.

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

That's because the industry doesn't have standardized readings. Maybe it's 15db at a distance of 3 meters, but most people are within 1 meter of their towers, hence SPCR and CoolingTechnique doing their measurements from that distance.

I love CoolingTechnique.  Wait, you're in Australia now!?  And, I still say you can't go wrong with Phanteks fans.

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Ok...I don't know what's up with the Wing 12 that they were reviewing, but they missed the 700 and 500rpm benchmarks (also, the fans are the same-but are branded Duratech Precision. When I was buying networking gear from the same store a few months ago they had the Gelid branded fans on the shelves-same specs etc). I can say right now as well, most of the noise is actually from the airflow-with the motor being very quiet, and they still do better on my Siedon 120V than the stock fan did-especially since its push/pull.

Well, if you want to compare at super low fan speeds, might I recommend you go to these reviews by CoolingTechnique (sorry it's not in English, but the graphs speak for themselves).

http://www.coolingtechnique.com/recensioni/air-cooling/ventole/414-recensione-gelid-wing-12.html?start=2

http://www.coolingtechnique.com/recensioni/air-cooling/ventole/764-recensione-scythe-gentle-typhoon-high-rpm.html?start=4

Also, the Gelid 12 fans can't reliably operate at 500 RPM whether from start or going down from a higher voltage. Unfortunately, CoolingTechnique never did a review of the more standard Gentle Typhoon fans, but even at 1100 RPM the high speed variant is quieter and pushing more air at higher pressure than the Gelid 12 at 780 RPM.

7 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I love CoolingTechnique.  Wait, you're in Australia now!?  And, I still say you can't go wrong with Phanteks fans.

The Phanteks are great case fans. You can't really go wrong between them or GTs. I just want to see someone take down the king! Unfortunately, I doubt Corsair will be the one to do it.

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

The Phanteks are great case fans. You can't really go wrong between them or GTs. I just want to see someone take down the king! Unfortunately, I doubt Corsair will be the one to do it.

I imagine Noctua, with their new, practical GT clone will probably do it, or just replicate the performance with a more pleasant sound.  

9 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Well, if you want to compare at super low fan speeds, might I recommend you go to these reviews by CoolingTechnique (sorry it's not in English, but the graphs speak for themselves).

http://www.coolingtechnique.com/recensioni/air-cooling/ventole/414-recensione-gelid-wing-12.html?start=2

http://www.coolingtechnique.com/recensioni/air-cooling/ventole/764-recensione-scythe-gentle-typhoon-high-rpm.html?start=4

Also, the Gelid 12 fans can't reliably operate at 500 RPM whether from start or going down from a higher voltage. Unfortunately, CoolingTechnique never did a review of the more standard Gentle Typhoon fans, but even at 1100 RPM the high speed variant is quieter and pushing more air at higher pressure than the Gelid 12 at 780 RPM.

Mine seem to be fine at around 500rpm-in fact that's what they idle at when my 4790K is at stock (at 4.6GHz there is a very large increase in heat output). Also this is the brand the fans are sold under-there is fuck all about them on the internet-maybe they are the OEM who makes the fans? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Duratech-Precision-Repair-Tools-Kit-iPod-Touch-iPhone-3G-3GS-4G-/222180034735?hash=item33baf648af:g:MZUAAOSwjMJXCHXG

Either way, considering the price of the Gentle Typhoon, and the performance of the Gelid Wing 12/Duratech Precision YX-2583 in comparison to my past case/radiator fans-its (and the fact that they are maglev bearing-they'll outlast multiple desktops like my brushless ceramic bearing fans), they are still good enough for AIO duty (having them in push pull helps negate issues with static pressure)

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Mine seem to be fine at around 500rpm-in fact that's what they idle at when my 4790K is at stock (at 4.6GHz there is a very large increase in heat output). Also this is the brand the fans are sold under-there is fuck all about them on the internet-maybe they are the OEM who makes the fans? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Duratech-Precision-Repair-Tools-Kit-iPod-Touch-iPhone-3G-3GS-4G-/222180034735?hash=item33baf648af:g:MZUAAOSwjMJXCHXG

Either way, considering the price of the Gentle Typhoon, and the performance of the Gelid Wing 12/Duratech Precision YX-2583 in comparison to my past case/radiator fans-its (and the fact that they are maglev bearing-they'll outlast multiple desktops like my brushless ceramic bearing fans), they are still good enough for AIO duty (having them in push pull helps negate issues with static pressure)

Gentle Typhoons are rated for 130,000 hours of continuous use before failing. They have one of the highest lifetimes among fans in the industry. Depending on the quality of that maglev bearing, it probably won't last more than 4 years.

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Gentle Typhoons are rated for 130,000 hours of continuous use before failing. They have one of the highest lifetimes among fans in the industry. Depending on the quality of that maglev bearing, it probably won't last more than 4 years.

Well they are rated for 100,000 hours. And is there something that causes the magnetic field to degrade? Because I've still got a ball bearing fan from the mid 90's that's been used in every single computer of mine and still works like new (and its still very quiet as well). Since maglev bearings don't receive the wear associated with friction.....the life span should only be limited to the brushes-if the fan even has any (then it should last a very, very long time)

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well they are rated for 100,000 hours. And is there something that causes the magnetic field to degrade? Because I've still got a ball bearing fan from the mid 90's that's been used in every single computer of mine and still works like new (and its still very quiet as well). Since maglev bearings don't receive the wear associated with friction.....the life span should only be limited to the brushes-if the fan even has any (then it should last a very, very long time)

Oxidizing the wires mostly. Resistance rises, heat rises, the casings expand, and friction builds up. If it isn't an air-tight bearing, it won't last nearly as long as you think.

35 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Oxidizing the wires mostly. Resistance rises, heat rises, the casings expand, and friction builds up. If it isn't an air-tight bearing, it won't last nearly as long as you think.

Which is a problem for any fan in that case....the bearing doesn't require actual power to work.

PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Which is a problem for any fan in that case....the bearing doesn't require actual power to work.

How do you think that magnetism is maintained? It's not with real magnets. It's with coils of wire. It's electromagnetism.

38 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

How do you think that magnetism is maintained? It's not with real magnets. It's with coils of wire. It's electromagnetism.

Then why do the fans spin without issues without power? You should know that magnets don't require power....

PMSL