Movie and Music Groups Claim Fair Use Threatens Innovation

Lurick

Several movie and music groups are claiming that enhancing Fair Use in Australia will harm copyright and hurt content creators.

https://torrentfreak.com/fair-use-threatens-innovation-copyright-holders-warn-160708/

Various music and movie industry groups have warned that fair use exceptions are a threat. The groups were responding to proposals put forward in Australia by the Government's Productivity Commission. They claim that content creators will be severely disadvantaged if fair use is introduced Down Under.

The only people who will be disadvantaged by fair use are middlemen like the MAFIAA groups who seek to control content and suck more money out of people by locking up content that should have long since been released for use by the public.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Well, they're not wrong. Some people will most definitely abuse fair use to get away with re-uploading material. And that will in turn do some minor damage to these artists and film makers and studios.

However, those people are what could be described as, as a vast minority, and the damage done is often minuscule at best. The general spread and adoption of more progressive fair use laws not just in australia, but globally will further a whole new cast of media creators and personalities, bringing even more 'innovation' and people into the spotlight.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

23 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Well, they're not wrong. Some people will most definitely abuse fair use to get away with re-uploading material. And that will in turn do some minor damage to these artists and film makers and studios.

However, those people are what could be described as, as a vast minority, and the damage done is often minuscule at best. The general spread and adoption of more progressive fair use laws not just in australia, but globally will further a whole new cast of media creators and personalities, bringing even more 'innovation' and people into the spotlight.

I agree with you that there will always be people looking to abuse something, the number of companies and people who abuse something like DMCA and copyright to try and take down speech and other content they just don't like compared to people using fair use to re-upload content is like a 100:1 ratio. I would love to see penalties for abuse on both sides increased but especially for abuse of copyright takedowns.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'm fairly sure the Mickey Mouse copyright time is almost up again which means Disney will yet again bribe the US court system to extend the time which content remains under copyright protection (thinks its currently 70 years?).

As long as big business have interests to protect and money to pay the average Joe user will always get screwed over by Copyright.

Jim Sterling has been a bit of an ambassador for the little guy and fair use but its like beating your head against a brick wall, the only outcome is blood and brain damage :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

do these people not realise there backwards thinking is holding back there industry

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm fairly sure the Mickey Mouse copyright time is almost up again which means Disney will yet again bribe the US court system to extend the time which content remains under copyright protection (thinks its currently 70 years?).

I think it is life time of the author + 70 years

4 hours ago, Atmos said:

That does not fall under fair use though.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

As long as big business have interests to protect and money to pay the average Joe user will always get screwed over by Copyright.

Jim Sterling has been a bit of an ambassador for the little guy and fair use but its like beating your head against a brick wall, the only outcome is blood and brain damage :P

It's pretty funny to see Disney fight for longer copyright, considering they built their entire media empire on public domain content.

42 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

do these people not realise there backwards thinking is holding back there industry

They couldn't care less about the industry as a whole, just their ability to hold onto content and continue to make money.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 hours ago, Lurick said:

I agree with you that there will always be people looking to abuse something, the number of companies and people who abuse something like DMCA and copyright to try and take down speech and other content they just don't like compared to people using fair use to re-upload content is like a 100:1 ratio. I would love to see penalties for abuse on both sides increased but especially for abuse of copyright takedowns.

I simply cannot agree more. That's something I forgot to touch up on, but the amount of people who abuse the current system for blatantly illegal take downs need to be stopped.

There needs to be a very hefty fine for levying a false claim. Filing a false claim while being a US citizen, or US based organization, or operating within the US puts you under penalty of perjury; which I don't think people really understand. 

The average sentencing rate for someone convicted the first time of this particular form of perjury is only around 7%, as stated by Armstronglegal. However, after the first offense, a consecutive sentencing will result in a minimum of 24 months in a federal prison. But because this is the internet, people don't realize this. They don't think really anything they do on here can affect them in significant ways in the real world. People, and corporations need to realize this. There also does need to be a very significant change to the way false accusations are handled, with more far more severe sentencing and far more pursuance of the law. Just because you're a large corporation or entity does not put you above the law, if anything it makes you more vulnerable to it, being so spread out.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

In other news, Oil companies claim Green Energy threatens economy and jobs

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, SSL said:

Good. Less "content" is fine, given that the majority is garbage.

I don't think that's how it works

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Not if you have a helmet

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Jesus, I made 4 posts in a row. I should restrain myself

Or multiquote but who does that

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Right, and piracy equals lost sales.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I don't think that's how it works

Then let me know how it works. Because that definitely sounds like what they're saying.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Then let me know how it works. Because that definitely sounds like what they're saying.

I think I missed the /s on your post, let me know if I should take it at face value instead

Cuz by restraining everyone as a whole, you're also restraining the great ones, not just the crap ones.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I think I missed the /s on your post, let me know if I should take it at face value instead

Cuz by restraining everyone as a whole, you're also restraining the great ones, not just the crap ones.

The thing is, it's not restraining anyone. This is a ploy by the big media companies that want everything locked down so that they don't lose a cent of profits.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

The thing is, it's not restraining anyone. This is a ploy by the big media companies that want everything locked down so that they don't lose a cent of profits.

You're not wrong. Publishers respond to shareholders and shareholders don't give a fuck what music is good, they care about what music will raise the value of their stock. We cornered ourselves into a market that really feels like we've been ensalved by money

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

You're not wrong. Publishers respond to shareholders and shareholders don't give a fuck what music is good, they care about what music will raise the value of their stock. We cornered ourselves into a market that really feels like we've been ensalved by money

Absolutely.

They can't keep up with innovation and can't think of a fair model so they threaten. I hate the way for example on YouTube you have to be worried big time every time you are recording something and music plays in the background. I had travel videos taken down that I was sharing with my family because someone walked by listening to some pop song and my microphone picked few seconds of it.

Their business is hard, I get it. But they have to invest some time to fix the inner workings of the industry and rethink the income model. 

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Right, and piracy equals lost sales.

To some degree it DOES, there are those who pirate because they cannot be arsed to pay when there is a "free" version for grabs.

but in most cases, the people who pirate had no intention of buying it anyway.

What media fails to realize is that their PLATFORM is outdated. It is stuck in the 80s or 90s.

Digital content, ad revenue, telemetry gathering and micro/macro transactions are the way to go.

5 hours ago, Technous285 said:

As an Australian who's fed up with being shafted by American media companies, both in the wallet and on my rights and responsibilities baked into our laws (eg: the ACL's 1 personal copy of a piece of media to play and the original stays in storage? Sorry, that's being DENIED by fucking current DRM) - MAFIAA, go fuck off, you're not wanted here in Oz!

send em a irukanji ^-^