French law enforcement agency to move last of it's 72,000 PC's to a custom distribution of Linux after already moving 37,000 of them over prior.

So, as it has been said, Linux is the future. Not just for gaming apparently, with Steam's OS, and AMD's Mantle, but apparently for law enforcement agencies too. 

Story at /.

jones_supa writes:

"France's National Gendarmerie — the national law enforcement agency — is now running 37,000 desktop PCs with a custom distribution of Linux, and by summer of 2014, the agency plans to switch over all 72,000 of its desktop machines. The agency claims that the TCO of open source software is about 40 percent less than proprietary software from Microsoft, referring to their article published by EU's Interoperability Solutions for Public Administrations. Initially Gendarmerie has moved to Windows versions of cross-platform OSS applications such as OpenOffice, Firefox, and Thunderbird. Now they are completing the process by changing the OS. This is one of the largest known government deployments of Linux on the desktop."

I think this is pretty epic. Note that Gendarmerie Is the Military police force, and usually patrols the country side (taken from comments on the post). 

I'd make a joke, but some people are sensitive to that. 

Windows is on the downfall.

In related news:

Windows' #1 OS is still XP. This is due, mostly, to China using it quite extensively (which correlates with them being the most populace nation in the world).

With the coming EOL of XP, Microsoft is basically giving away the keys to the OS (the most exploitable vulnerabilities and such) when this happens on April 8th of 2014. Thereby making XP a horrible horrible choice for anyone to have, ever, for any reason. Except in a Virtual Machine (but even then...).

What do you think is going to happen when this becomes reality and China is faced with changing OSes? Hint: Linux is going to become very popular very fast. Calling it now. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

French got it well :P

However, this is amazing for Linux to be spread as the default OS for home users and I personally am for the growth and use of the OS.

Windows has become a standard but now being a closed source platform which many of us dislike since we want freedom.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Let me know when Windows exclusives stop being Windows exclusives. Or when crossplatform programs on Linux don't look like butt. (I'm looking at you, Skype!)

If Linux sorted out audio driver issues, had crossplatform programs that didn't have ugly outdated UI, had /native/ versions of stuff from Adobe ect as well as my fav Japanese Windows Only art program, I'll ditch the Winders.

Finally windows will not have a monopoly (basically) on the mainstream OS business. Competition is good and hopefully should make Microsoft step up there game for windows 9 or 8.2

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

its smart that they are using firefox instead of chrome for obvious reasons

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Hint: Linux is going to become very popular very fast. Calling it now.

This would only be an incentive to address the problems with Linux and that is a good thing. :)

I don't see it as surprising. Security-wise, Linux is far better than Windows when set up correctly. Not saying it's invulnerable though, as Linux can still be targeted through other means. The low system resource use is particularly nice too, allowing more of the hardware to be used for other tasks. 

Afaik, the Canadian gov't is switching to Windows 7, with some exceptions, I'm assuming. Windows 7 probably makes the most sense from XP, even if Linux is better. The issue with Linux, while the process can be simplified, would require employees to be re-trained to varying extents. 

Ubuntu is well on its way to becoming a distribution that just works, making it the perfect Windows replacement. The more specific tasks would still be with Windows until those programs get better support on Linux - which may very well happen if Linux gains the momentum it needs. Specifically referring to CAD/CAM/CAE tools and other proprietary programs. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

its smart that they are using firefox instead of chrome for obvious reasons

I am missing all of those reasons apparently. I love Chrome. I have yet to find a reason to love Firefox.

Hint: Linux is going to become very popular very fast. Calling it now.

This would only be an incentive to address the problems with Linux and that is a good thing. :)

It's also going to be incentive for hackers around the world to tear Linux apart looking for things to abuse. I hope the Linux core development team is ready.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I feel like every time a new OS comes out or a company moves from Windows to [insert OS Here] people call it the downfall of Windows and/or Microsoft. For the people that hate the government and everything that they do, this might lead those people to use Windows instead of Linux. 

I know some of you guys hate Microsoft and want to see them fall off their monopoly, but sadly the only company that can ruin Microsoft is Microsoft themselves. 

I don't see it as surprising. Security-wise, Linux is far better than Windows when set up correctly. Not saying it's invulnerable though, as Linux can still be targeted through other means...

And you have a penguin in your profile :)

come and join the tux linux party :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkGAEmXRH0

crystal_tux.jpg

I know some of you guys hate Microsoft and want to see them fall off their monopoly, but sadly the only company that can ruin Microsoft is Microsoft themselves. 

Which they're probably doing. 

Valve's SteamOS is a big step towards making Linux a more viable option. The first step is always the most important one. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I don't see it as surprising. Security-wise, Linux is far better than Windows when set up correctly. Not saying it's invulnerable though, as Linux can still be targeted through other means. The low system resource use is particularly nice too, allowing more of the hardware to be used for other tasks. 

Afaik, the Canadian gov't is switching to Windows 7, with some exceptions, I'm assuming. Windows 7 probably makes the most sense from XP, even if Linux is better. The issue with Linux, while the process can be simplified, would require employees to be re-trained to varying extents. 

Ubuntu is well on its way to becoming a distribution that just works, making it the perfect Windows replacement. The more specific tasks would still be with Windows until those programs get better support on Linux - which may very well happen if Linux gains the momentum it needs. Specifically referring to CAD/CAM/CAE tools and other proprietary programs. 

It's how Linux is designed is what makes it more secure. Really wish Microsoft would get off the touch/gimmick fetish and actually retool the core of it's OS to make it as secure as Linux is by design.

PS: Not really a fan of Ubuntu, though. As is with Unity, it's confusing as sin to a Windows user. Mint is more of an easier transition.

Guys, you're all wrong. Obviously it's Google Chrome OS that's going to become the new hit.

....xD

I am missing all of those reasons apparently. I love Chrome. I have yet to find a reason to love Firefox.

It's also going to be incentive for hackers around the world to tear Linux apart looking for things to abuse. I hope the Linux core development team is ready.

well its not smart for a government to use chrome

http://lifehacker.com/5763452/what-data-does-chrome-send-to-google-about-me

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Let's hope. If Linux does gain a lot of momentum, I don't want it's key feature of security be lost.

I like how a few years back in 2011, OS X was the first OS to be hacked during a contest. I laughed/felt bad for Mac users that thought their expensive system was uber safe. :ph34r:

Which they're probably doing. 

Valve's SteamOS is a big step towards making Linux a more viable option. The first step is always the most important one. 

For Gamers of course SteamOS is great. What about the casuals, the people who make companies like Microsoft most of their revenue. I'm pretty sure they don't care what OS it is (I understand that some only want Windows and have no idea what Steam and/or Linux is) or they just buy whatever is cheaper at Walmart or Best Buy. This is where the downfall of Windows will happen. 

To be honest, I will probably switch to SteamOS when I'm done school as I need most of the office programs for essay's and projects. I currently enjoy Windows even with the me learning to use Ubuntu in a networking class I took a few years ago.

For Gamers of course SteamOS is great. What about the casuals, 

Like I said, it's the first step. It'll probably trigger a snowball effect of other applications getting the support and development they deserve to become on par, if not better than, their Windows equivalents. Which means Linux will replace Windows in more areas instead of just PC Gaming. 

For years there have a "recommendation" for schools to run Ubuntu on their PCs, nothing has been done, except in the (very) few schools that have been built since...

That's pretty good news. The future of Linux is looking good!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

very good and now with open documentations from ATI and Nvidia it will even get better for widespread adoption

very good and now with open documentations from ATI and Nvidia it will even get better for widespread adoption

ATI is dead. It's AMD now.

† Christian Member †