Das Keyboard launches 5Q, the First RGB Cloud Connected Keyboard on Kickstarter

Kickstarter : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1229573443/das-keyboard-5q-the-cloud-connected-keyboard

Das Keyboard 5Q is a cloud-connected, open API RGB mechanical keyboard that allows each key to be color-controlled over the Internet. It is built with ground-breaking electronics that provide superior RGB LED brightness and unsurpassed response time. Along with the Das Keyboard Q application, the Das Keyboard 5Q makes you more productive by streaming information directly to your keyboard.

It has been fully funded on the first day. I own the Das Keyboard S Ultimate (the blank keycaps one) with Cherry MX Blue switches (watch old LTT reviews down here) and it works great, solid build quality. But from their first product series, they want to show simplicity, without any gimmicks like other keyboard manufacturer. In next series (Das Keyboard 4) they add more functionality which is a media control. But with this product, I don't think I want to buy it. I prefer simple keyboard rather than full RGB light all over my keyboard, and I don't think color light notification in your keyboard will help you more productive. Any thoughts?

Here is Linus's old review for Das Keyboard :

18 minutes ago, adhisakti said:

Kickstarter : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1229573443/das-keyboard-5q-the-cloud-connected-keyboard

It has been fully funded on the first day. I own the Das Keyboard S Ultimate (the blank keycaps one) with Cherry MX Blue switches (watch old LTT reviews down here) and it works great, solid build quality. But from their first product series, they want to show simplicity, without any gimmicks like other keyboard manufacturer. In next series (Das Keyboard 4) they add more functionality which is a media control. But with this product, I don't think I want to buy it. I prefer simple keyboard rather than full RGB light all over my keyboard, and I don't think color light notification in your keyboard will help you more productive. Any thoughts?

Here is Linus's old review for Das Keyboard :

Why the f would you need a cloud connected keyborad? For storing your LEDS profiles?

Cloud connected....

So we're just picking fucking buzz words and put them into keyboards now? Coming next a diverse keyboard made from organic materials using fair trade deals with manufacturers that have a commitment to empowering females in the workplace!

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Cloud connected....

So we're just picking fucking buzz words and put them into keyboards now? Coming next a diverse keyboard made from organic materials using fair trade deals with manufacturers that have a commitment to empowering females in the workplace!

"Cloud Connected" is not the best description, the RGB LED is programmable using IFTTT or Zapier service or some events on the internet which they means with "cloud".

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

It uses unique "Gamma Zulu' switches that look suspiciously like Romer-G. Both made by Omron

So you can't get custom caps...

-snip-

I like the aesthetics although its riddled with sharp edges

The 'cloud connected' Q app thingy seems gimmicky and poses a privacy concern

In the FAQ they said that users can purchase a blank transparent keycaps. I understand why some people have a concern about privacy because you need to enter so much information to their app like your login/password for your email, cloud storage, etc.

3 minutes ago, adhisakti said:

"Cloud Connected" is not the best description, the RGB LED is programmable using IFTTT or Zapier service or some events on the internet which they means with "cloud".

It sounds like a developer tried to explain the concept to the marketing guy and they just went "Right...so cloud? Oh different...aja...oh I get it, a CLOUD right!?" and just gave up after a while

-------

Current Rig

-------

At first I thought "a cloud connected keyboard? that's super dumb" but seeing what it actually does, it seems like it would be SUPER helpful for me. This would solve a lot of problems I have with keeping track of things. None of the productivity apps work for me because i just don't think to ever check them, or I just turn them off when the alarm sounds (yeah, I know...I'll get to in a minute...and then I forget)...but with this being in my face, my R key glowing red, showing me I need to get to work, I don't think I'd be able to ignore it for long. I only wish I had it 15 years ago. Honestly this might be the first time I use kickstarter...and I feel comfortable doing it with Das Keyboard because they're already a successful keyboard maker.

I needed a new keyboard too.

Why can't a company like DAS, just invest in hot-swappable switches and PCB's.  Hell, ALPS.Tw is back with their i-rocks MX-stem switches, so if they can take old ALPS tech and make MX-compatibility, Romer-G can, and especially if they're also hot-swappable.  I really just want more hot-swappable keyboard switches.  I love the concept and practice of it.  It's sweet.

11 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Cloud connected....

Don't forget gluten free!

Am I missing something?

Why would an established company need kickstarter for funding? If you want to make a keyboard, you already have the funding... Just make it..

2 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

Am I missing something?

Why would an established company need kickstarter for funding? If you want to make a keyboard, you already have the funding... Just make it..

Not enough faith to risk their money I'd imagine. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s