Is the 970 overkill for 1080p?

Whoknowsbruh

Is a gtx 970 sc overkill for 1080p? Im hearing that from alot of youtubers and stuff. 

Because of the recent price drop in the 970 sc I can afford it for my first build but I definitely can't afford a 1440p moniter...help

Edited by colonel_mortis
Updated title

Not overkill, will preform great for 1080p.

"The Rusher" - Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro WiFi AC CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Nepton 240m RAM: Gskill TridentX 16gb 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1060 6GB OC Edition Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb // WD Blue 1tb PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 650w Case: Coolermaster CM 690 III Window + NZXT Blue LED's

its not a overkill, 980 and over is

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

1 hour ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

k Thanks guys

3 minutes ago, TechGuyMark said:

Is a gtx 970 sc overkill for 1080p? Im hearing that from alot of youtubers and stuff. 

Because of the recent price drop in the 970 sc I can afford it for my first build but I definitely can't afford a 1440p moniter...help

no also wait for the aftermarket rx 480's in my opinion

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

2 hours ago, Rushfriend said:

Not overkill, will preform great for 1080p.

LTT forum never fails to impress

4 minutes ago, TechGuyMark said:

No... and neither is a 980Ti, or a 1070....  it depends on the games you play, what settings you play at and what frame rates you want to achieve... 

I personally enjoy games when they STAY above 60fps...  And playing at Ultra Level Detail can bring in some noticeable frame drops with the 970.

This shows how different game settings can really affect game performance;

It isn't overkill, though I would recommend you wait for aftermarket 480s if you're buying a new GPU.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It isn't overkill, though I would recommend you wait for aftermarket 480s if you're buying a new GPU.

I Want to stick with nvidia for shadow play

4 minutes ago, TechGuyMark said:

Then get the 970 or 980 in discount, consider getting 980ti for the 6gb but only if its cheap, otherwise you might aswell get the 1070

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

7 minutes ago, TechGuyMark said:

Ah....

I do know AMD has something where you can record-you just have to hit record when you start playing. However, I don't think it's quite as good.

In that case, I wouldn't really recommend getting a 970 at all. It's an older card and Nvidia tends to stop giving driver improvements to their cards once there is a newer architecture out there, so if I were you I'd rather get a 1070 or if that's too much money wait for a 1060. If you can't wait though....

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

Then get the 970 or 980 in discount, consider getting 980ti for the 6gb but only if its cheap, otherwise you might aswell get the 1070

This ^^^

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Ah....

I do know AMD has something where you can record-you just have to hit record when you start playing. However, I don't think it's quite as good.

In that case, I wouldn't really recommend getting a 970 at all. It's an older card and Nvidia tends to stop giving driver improvements to their cards once there is a newer architecture out there, so if I were you I'd rather get a 1070 or if that's too much money wait for a 1060. If you can't wait though....

well I'll see I might be able to get the 1060 when it comes out. I actually just saw some benchmarks Uploaded yesterday The rx480 only gets 3-4 fps more around less demanding scenes maybe 5 But tbh I dont think that 4 fps difference is really a fair traid for shadowplay and plus If you use any other recording software while  recording it will have WAY worse performance than the gtx 970

1 minute ago, TechGuyMark said:

well I'll see I might be able to get the 1060 when it comes out. I actually just saw some benchmarks Uploaded yesterday The rx480 only gets 3-4 fps more around less demanding scenes maybe 5 But tbh I dont think that 4 fps difference is really a fair traid for shadowplay and plus If you use any other recording software recording it will have WAY worse performance that the gtx 970

*cough* OBS *cough*

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

*cough* OBS *cough*

Ive seen obs I'ts kinda confusing...well in my opinion

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Ah....

2 minutes ago, TechGuyMark said:

Early benchmarks will be bad. I'm waiting for driver updates and whatnot :P Remember the 300 series? At launch, the 380 and 390 were tied or worse than the 960 and 970 respectively but now the 380 and 390 are both better than the 960 and 970 respectively. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

21 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Early benchmarks will be bad. I'm waiting for driver updates and whatnot :P Remember the 300 series? At launch, the 380 and 390 were tied or worse than the 960 and 970 respectively but now the 380 and 390 are both better than the 960 and 970 respectively. 

Yeah, this ^ I expect drivers to improve the performance by around 5-7% within 2 months, and aftermarket 480's to improve performance over the reference card by another 5-7%.

Not to mention that in a WORST CASE SCENARIO (very early drivers, low-clocked reference card), the 480 still goes ahead of a 970 and a 390.
TechPowerUp confirms this, and the biggest Polish tech store that did a review of a 480 on their youtube channel confirms this:

(Performance differences between a 970, 480 and a 390 @1080p in 10 AAA titles, left side is AVG FPS, right side MIN FPS)

It's better than the 970 in 7 out of 10 games and better than a 390 in 6 out of 10 of the games tested here. For a lower price, with a newer architecture and manufacturing process, with newer features, with lower power consumption etc.

MRX4dV0.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

26 minutes ago, TechGuyMark said:

well I'll see I might be able to get the 1060 when it comes out. I actually just saw some benchmarks Uploaded yesterday The rx480 only gets 3-4 fps more around less demanding scenes maybe 5 But tbh I dont think that 4 fps difference is really a fair traid for shadowplay and plus If you use any other recording software while  recording it will have WAY worse performance than the gtx 970

AMD has plays.tv its the same as shadowplay and it works the same. Performance impact is also the same as shadowplay. BUT, the easiest one to use is shadowplay. The UI for plays.tv is confusing for newbies who just want to hit record. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

57 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

You've got the weirdest PC I've ever seen. In terms of balancing the parts etc.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

50 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

AMD has plays.tv its the same as shadowplay and it works the same. Performance impact is also the same as shadowplay. BUT, the easiest one to use is shadowplay. The UI for plays.tv is confusing for newbies who just want to hit record. 

And I am a newdie, glad you can see my perspective

47 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

47 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

This is my first time configuring one(im coming from console) got any suggestions before I buy in 2 or 3 months

3 minutes ago, TechGuyMark said:

And I am a newdie, glad you can see my perspective

Glad i could clear up the performance impact misconception.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, TechGuyMark said:

This is my first time configuring one(im coming from console) got any suggestions before I buy in 2 or 3 months

I said that to the dude that has a 980Ti with an FX-8350, 1x8GB of RAM, a 970 chipset motherboard and a Corsair VS650W PSU.

But if you give us your budget, parts that you already possibly have, we can help you choose the right ones.

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I said that to the dude that has a 980Ti with an FX-8350, 1x8GB of RAM, a 970 chipset motherboard and a Corsair VS650W PSU.

But if you give us your budget, parts that you already possibly have, we can help you choose the right ones.

Rest of build:

I5 4690k

ASRock Micro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboards B85M-DGS

seagate 1tb hard drive

corsair vengence 8gb ddr3 ram

hyper 212 evo

evga gtx 970 sc

Do you already have all of the listed parts?

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Do you already have all of the listed parts?

What?