Xbox One's day-one update takes 15-20 minutes

Youbetternot

You will need to patch for 15-20 mins for the Xbox when you get it, well that kinda sucks. Since the first day alot of people will try to patch so the server will crash and it would take more then a 1hour for them to patch.

ovc7u.jpg

The Xbox One will require a day-one patch, and that update will take between 15 and 20 minutes "for most users," Microsoft chief platform architect Marc Whitten told IGN.

"We are optimizing Xbox One so that the day-one update is as fast as possible. While we're still finalizing the details, we expect that the download will take between 15 and 20 minutes for most users," Whitten said.

It is not clear what the specific purpose of the patch is, though a Microsoft representative said in June that this update will "accommodate the differences between hardware and software manufacturing schedules."

Source/video: http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-ones-day-one-update-takes-15-20-minutes-6415188

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

What a fail.

INC there servers getting overloaded lol

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Haha, and 5 hours because everyone will be trying to do it at once.

And will be like that for two weeks, if SimCity is anything to go by.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

But 15-20 minutes at what speed? Great that they are pushing updates day1 to help fix the firmware but it hope it isn't that big.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

well considering all the changes they probably had to make, its not really that big of a deal.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Yeah, 15mins @ 15 Tbps...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Ugh... But still better than the 2 Hour Wii U update which was a joke.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Those 15-20 minutes (which will take longer because those servers WILL get slowed to the max) will show why the Xbox One would have failed with its original ideas and plans. 

COMIC SANS

Lets just agree that day one...along with many other days after, most likely are going to be funny :P

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Those 15-20 minutes (which will take longer because those servers WILL get slowed to the max) will show why the Xbox One would have failed with its original ideas and plans. 

Yep oh Microsoft why you screw us all!

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Lets just agree that day one...is going to be funny :P

People will be like "why you no LOAD" *Hammers xbone one*

People will be like "why you no LOAD" *Hammers xbone one*

Incoming over half the day one consoles "breaking" and getting sent back :D

Wii U needed a 2 hour long update that bricked some consoles because people's slow internet made them think the console wasn't working, so they unplugged it in the middle of the update. I thought for sure Microsoft would have learned not to do that, even if it is drastically shorter.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

What fail...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

>patch

And this is why I no longer console game outside of Nintendo handhelds. When consoles lost their ease of use, they lost the game.

Yes, a 3DS has updates, but the bloody thing works out of the box.

Better than the 8 hours it took my wii u to update

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Better than the 8 hours it took my wii u to update

I wonder, the servers will be flooded because of everyone trying to patch and probably going to take a couple of hours too.

I don't see this as a big deal lol it's a patch, it's better than broken software

I don't understand most of the people here. How in any sense is this a fail? They are updating the system. How is that not a good thing. They have possibly found errors or want to change something up. It's nice to see them updating the machine so it can run better. This is only showing that they are actively working on the systems OS.

PC's are hardcore fail since we have to download so many things day 1, GOD how do we live with our selves.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I don't understand most of the people here. How in any sense is this a fail? They are updating the system. How is that not a good thing. They have possibly found errors or want to change something up. It's nice to see them updating the machine so it can run better. This is only showing that they are actively working on the systems OS.

PC's are hardcore fail since we have to download so many things day 1, GOD how do we live with our selves.

Compare consoles of the past to what consoles are coming out soon. When was the last time a console had to be patched already on day one? I remember when consoles were plug the thing into the thing and you were done. Just insert your game and power the system on. These PC wannabes of today really annoy me.

A PC is not a dedicated gaming system out of the box with drivers already installed, a PC is what you make of it. That last comment is a moot point.

Just my 2c :ph34r:

Compare consoles of the past to what consoles are coming out soon. When was the last time a console had to be patched already on day one? I remember when consoles were plug the thing into the thing and you were done. Just insert your game and power the system on. These PC wannabes of today really annoy me.

A PC is not a dedicated gaming system out of the box with drivers already installed, a PC is what you make of it. That last comment is a moot point.

Just my 2c :ph34r:

Yea and I remember how basic they use to be also. But now they have evolved into something much greater. I say for the better. I like to have a machine that can do more than 1 thing, like a PC can do.

Remember when a phone only did phone calls. Now they do all this stuff a PC can do, dam pc wanna-be's.

Even if all your doing is gaming on a pc you still have to download things so it isn't a moot point.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Yea and I remember how basic they use to be also. But now they have evolved into something much greater. I say for the better. I like to have a machine that can do more than 1 thing, like a PC can do.

Remember when a phone only did phone calls. Now they do all this stuff a PC can do, dam pc wanna-be's.

Even if all your doing is gaming on a pc you still have to download things so it isn't a moot point.

Yes and no since there isn't one preset of a computer like there is a console which has a primary function of gaming. I will agree that installing software on a fresh reformat is a pain,

Yes and no since there isn't one preset of a computer like there is a console which has a primary function of gaming. I will agree that installing software on a fresh reformat is a pain,

It's the same with games. Now they can be patched. While sometimes it does seem games are released before they are ready because they can be patched the old school n64 and sega games sometimes had game breaking bugs that you had to restart the whole game. Zelda had a game breaking bug that caused me to never finish it and am lucky now that things like that can be fixed with a simple update.

These game systems are the same as games and extremely complex so it is nice to see them get updated and have new skins. The original 360 GUI was pretty horrible to what we have now, except for all the advertisements fuck you microsoft make my buy the console, the game, live and I still get advertisements that's horrible. But the setup is much cleaner.

Plus the 15-20 min was for the average connection. I'm sure that's maybe with a 5mb/s internet speed. Some of the people complaining have probably never owned an xbox and know what the servers are like. They are extremely fast on Microsoft side from my experience.

But 15-20 minutes at what speed? Great that they are pushing updates day1 to help fix the firmware but it hope it isn't that big.

They may be removing the BS policies they had before they had to backtrack their DRM stuff when they saw their console wasn't selling xD

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1