Sharp is working on a 4K display for 15.6 inch laptops

TopWargamer

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/4k-uhd-sharp-igzo-apple,24459.html#xtor=RSS-998

Sharp has announced that in order to "support emerging demand for 4K panels for notebooks," the company has become the first manufacturer to provide 15.6-inch notebook displays that offer a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (282 ppi).

I'm not necessarily against this, but with a 4K monitor on a laptop, that battery life will be gone very, very soon. Laptop manufacturers will have to start building in super beefy laptop batteries if a 4K laptop will ever take off the ground any time soon. 

COMIC SANS

I am for it. I am tired of 1366 x 768 displays on every laptop I see. I wish every laptop till 14 inch had at least 1920 x 1080. Hope this does something to force companies like dell and HP to rethink their cheap laptops. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

This is exactly what we need. 4K being implemented in a platform with lots of people to buy it, thus forcing the price down even more. I love it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

What laptops could run a 4k monitor? I would love to see this happen, heck I'd love to see this on a tablet, but the Batteries need to be advanced if they're going to do this.

Back from the dead....

I am for it. I am tired of 1366 x 768 displays on every laptop I see. I wish every laptop till 14 inch had at least 1920 x 1080. Hope this does something to force companies like dell and HP to rethink their cheap laptops. 

I have a DELL XPS 17 and there is nothing cheap about it and it is very high quility. If you look at the new DELL XPS series all of them have full HD displays.

I have a DELL XPS 17 and there is nothing cheap about it and it is very high quility. If you look at the new DELL XPS series all of them have full HD displays.

I am not talking about XPS lineup. Their Inspiron lineup is horrible.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Who gives shit about 4K on laptops.....

Give us more TV's and Monitors!

They just don't get it do they  :angry:

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

i want 27 inch 5K monitors and 42 inch 8K TV's please

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Imo 4K on a 15.6 inch screen is unnecessary because it will require a bigger battery and don't really think you will notice a difference between 1080p and 4K on a 15.6 inch screen.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

So why can't we get a 24" or a 27" monitor with 4k. Anyway who is gonna buy a laptop with a 4k display. No one is.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

So why can't we get a 24" or a 27" monitor with 4k. Anyway who is gonna buy a laptop with a 4k display. No one is.

Companies are focusing on producing high density panels for devices in order of popularity, that's all.  It's not about capabilities, it's just a choice of where to spend their manufacturing resources, which they don't have infinite of.

Companies are focusing on producing high density panels for devices in order of popularity, that's all.  It's not about capabilities, it's just a choice of where to spend their manufacturing resources, which they don't have infinite of.

Maybe but who is going to buy a 4k tablet. I don't think anyone is so it's a complete waste of resources. If they made a cheaper 4K monitor all the photo artists will buy them.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

What laptops could run a 4k monitor? I would love to see this happen, heck I'd love to see this on a tablet, but the Batteries need to be advanced if they're going to do this.

Pretty much anything could run a 4K monitor, now if you wanted to game on it, you'll need something much more beefier. 

Even integrated graphics can run at 4K just fine.

Yeah I don't know why some people don't think this is possible. I'd love to have a i7 Haswell, 8GB of RAM, and a nice big SSD with a 4K screen <3

This is partially nice, since it helps making 4K the standard.

But it also sucks! WHY make a laptop with a 4K screen that will drastically decrease battery life, when you probably won't even be able to tell the difference on that small laptop? Why not try to increase the battery life of laptops instead of adding unnessecary stuff that will just make it worse?

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

Pretty much anything could run a 4K monitor, now if you wanted to game on it, you'll need something much more beefier. 

Yeah I don't know why some people don't think this is possible. I'd love to have a i7 Haswell, 8GB of RAM, and a nice big SSD with a 4K screen <3

I know that most integrated GPUs can do 4k, but the battery life is what I was talking about. The GPU has to work with 4x as much data than before, so its going to be using more power which means very low battery life on an Ultrabook.

Edit: Sorry for not being clearer.

Back from the dead....

If a laptop with integrated graphics gets a 4k display before I can get a 27"+ 4k display for my desktop I'm gonna be pissed!

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Cool. They are really making a big jump here. I think the logical progression now is to make low powered 1080p screens. Thats an okay resolution at that size. I really would need 4k for anything than 24 in.

It's nice to see, but for me, the sweet spot for a laptop will always be 12-13" - at that size, 1080p is more than adequate. 14" is borderline okay, 15.6" is too big for me.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I want 24inch 4k monitor :(

There probably is one coming from Dell, but it won't be cheap :(

.... UP2414Q

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

It's even sharper than the eye can see. What's the point of this?