Why are people surprised at the current 1070/1080 prices?

Gerr

1.  Simple supply & demand are causing the current high 1070 & 1080 prices.  When supply is low and/or demand is high, stores can and will charge a higher price.  This is Econ-101.  Companies are all about making money and will price gouge wherever they can.  Are people really surprised about this?!?  Just wait 1-2 months for supply to increase and demand decrease and prices will stabilize.

2.  Nvidia never said there will be 1070's @ $379 & 1080's @ $599, only that those prices are their MINIMUM allowed retail prices and left it up to the OEM's to create cards at those price points.  MSI did create a $599 1080, but no OEM has released a $379 1070...yet.  If you have the intelligence to build a PC, you shouldn't be surprised by Nvidia's pricing trickery here.

3.  The Nvidia branded reference cards, aka Founders Edition, are priced well above the minimum MSRP, yet only run at stock speeds with a basic cooler.  So does it really surprise anyone when OEM's released their high OC'ed cards with better cooling that they are priced them near or above the FE's price?  In the past, OEM OC'ed cards with better coolers were priced higher than the reference cards, so it's a tough pill to swallow for OEM's to price their superior cards below Nvida's current reference cards.

Come on people, use your brains and stop bitching about current 1070/1080 prices and understand what is going on instead!

LOL, but we all know no one will pay that for an AMD card.... :)  Everyone knows it's the budget card... it's not meant for uber gaming. Putting a premium on the RX 480 is insulting to AMD fans and Nvidia fans alike. So are they also going to raise the 470 to $200 then....????  It's like... why even advertise prices if you are not going to follow them.

5 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

AMD said the 8GB Variant would hit 250ish and its always upped up on release dates, i mean the 1080 was at 999 on amazon prior to launch

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
                COOLING: ThermalTake Contac Silent 12
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

love all brands, will go for whats cheaper for my needs

10 minutes ago, Gerr said:

1.  Simple supply & demand are causing the current high 1070 & 1080 prices.  When supply is low and/or demand is high, stores can and will charge a higher price.  This is Econ-101.  Companies are all about making money and will price gouge wherever they can.  Are people really surprised about this?!?  Just wait 1-2 months for supply to increase and demand decrease and prices will stabilize.

2.  Nvidia never said there will be 1070's @ $379 & 1080's @ $599, only that those prices are their MINIMUM allowed retail prices and left it up to the OEM's to create cards at those price points.  MSI did create a $599 1080, but no OEM has released a $379 1070...yet.  If you have the intelligence to build a PC, you shouldn't be surprised by Nvidia's pricing trickery here.

3.  The Nvidia branded reference cards, aka Founders Edition, are priced well above the minimum MSRP, yet only run at stock speeds with a basic cooler.  So does it really surprise anyone when OEM's released their high OC'ed cards with better cooling that they are priced them near or above the FE's price?  In the past, OEM OC'ed cards with better coolers were priced higher than the reference cards, so it's a tough pill to swallow for OEM's to price their superior cards below Nvida's current reference cards.

Come on people, use your brains and stop bitching about current 1070/1080 prices and understand what is going on instead!

I'm more surprised people think it's supply and demand. It's more of Nvidia and retailers taking advantage of people who can't wait. This is business 101.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

34 minutes ago, Gerr said:

3.  The Nvidia branded reference cards, aka Founders Edition, are priced well above the minimum MSRP, yet only run at stock speeds with a basic cooler.

This is never really the case. In the past, most of Nvidia's reference cards were at MSRP. The GTX 970's MSRP was $379.99USD and their reference card stayed at that for the most part.

Nvidia only really did it this generation because they knew people would pay a premium even if it were just a reference card to get their hand on one earlier.

Everything else I agree with, but I had to point this out.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

a GTX 1070 MSI gaming 8G was available on newegg.ca last night for 569$ CAD

it's a pretty good deal i almost ordered one

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

a GTX 1070 MSI gaming 8G was available on newegg.ca last night for 569$ CAD

it's a pretty good deal i almost ordered one

$569CAD.

Fucking hell, Canada. Your prices are shit.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

$569CAD.

Fucking hell, Canada. Your prices are shit.

huh?!

actually that's equivalent to 437$USD...it's not bad at all if you ask me...i paid 800$ for a slightly used 980ti only a few months ago...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

huh?!

actually that's equivalent to 437$USD...it's not bad at all if you ask me...i paid 800$ for a slightly used 980ti only a few months ago...

That still ain't great. 

For Canada, actually, that's pretty good, but in terms of actual USD, it's still high considering that they're gonna drop soon.

I want to like the 1070 but I just can't for whatever reason.

That still ain't great. 

For Canada, actually, that's pretty good, but in terms of actual USD, it's still high considering that they're gonna drop soon.

I want to like the 1070 but I just can't for whatever reason.

i'm in awe when i look at the performance...that little bitch is as fast as my overclocked balls to the wall GTX 980ti in anything and everything and it's barely even pulling 160W from the wall...it's insane man.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i'm in awe when i look at the performance...that little bitch is as fast as my overclocked balls to the wall GTX 980ti in anything and everything and it's barely even pulling 160W from the wall...it's insane man.

I think I'm just not excited about the 1070 mostly because we don't have an RX 490 to compare to it. Really, I have a soft spot for the 970 even if it's one of my least favorite cards, and that's mostly because how fucking well it holds up against the R9 390.

It performs admirably, and I'm not gonna deny that, but eh. I don't know why I wasn't hyped for the 1070.

I think I'm just not excited about the 1070 mostly because we don't have an RX 490 to compare to it. Really, I have a soft spot for the 970 even if it's one of my least favorite cards, and that's mostly because how fucking well it holds up against the R9 390.

It performs admirably, and I'm not gonna deny that, but eh. I don't know why I wasn't hyped for the 1070.

i do wish for you guys that AMD pull the head out of the ass and push out an high-performance GPU soon...the Fury ain't looking very good when compared to pascal cards in benchmarks these days and those are super early drivers for them...in a couple months they will rock even more.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i do wish for you guys that AMD pull the head out of the ass and push out an high-performance GPU soon...the Fury ain't looking very good when compared to pascal cards in benchmarks these days and those are super early drivers for them...in a couple months they will rock even more.

I really hope AMD does get off of their asses and make something competitive, too.

The Fury X basically had no potential because the overclocking nature of GCN 1.1 and 1.2 cards in particular is completely shite. All of its other issues could have been excused had it been a decent overclocker. But AMD fucked themselves and what wound up was a nice looking card with no overclocking potential.

10 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I really hope AMD does get off of their asses and make something competitive, too.

The Fury X basically had no potential because the overclocking nature of GCN 1.1 and 1.2 cards in particular is completely shite. All of its other issues could have been excused had it been a decent overclocker. But AMD fucked themselves and what wound up was a nice looking card with no overclocking potential.

i have to agree...the FuryX come equip with a watercooler on it but can barely overclock 100mhz on most cases...where as the 980ti will overclock more than that out of the box with GPU boost 2.0 alone...a simple push of the slider will generally give the user a 250mhz overclock easily and probably even more than that...needless to say, such an overclock of 300mhz or more has a huge impact on performance and when looking at benchmarks it's usually non-overclocked cards that are at work...if you check OC vs. OC on that the nvidia cards already had a huge advantage with maxwell...and now with pascal...but most reviewers say the pascal cards won't overclock as much as the maxwell based GPU's...they are probably more agressive on the clock out of the box this time around or something...but i would still like to trade in my 980ti and 100$ for a GTX 1070...

Would you be happy if AMD would re-brew the fiji cards in the form of the RX 490 and offer this at slightly higher clocks and slightly lower power consumption? like they did with 290 vs 390 for example...a 389$ Fiji based RX 490 and RX 490X would be pretty wild i guess...i would like to see them do that, and put 8GB of GDDR5X on those...not 4GB of stuttery HBM shite.

25 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Only the fury x actually. Reference fury boards had very poor power delivery design. 

Nitro Fury clocked itself at 1200mhz on air in the reviews and user reviews aren't far off as well with people reporting 1180mhz. 

VaporX 290x was a great overclocker. No?  

AMD cards have i2c advanced monitoring. Being able to monitor vrm temps is very important and unfortunately you don't get that on nvidia cards(other than premium ones). By default, amd cards have dual bios as well. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

This is never really the case. In the past, most of Nvidia's reference cards were at MSRP. The GTX 970's MSRP was $379.99USD and their reference card stayed at that for the most part.

Nvidia only really did it this generation because they knew people would pay a premium even if it were just a reference card to get their hand on one earlier.

Everything else I agree with, but I had to point this out.

Finally someone with some sense! 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

You guys should be grateful...

In China:

1.1080 and 1070 FE are out of sell on each platform(jingdong or taobao).almost everyone who wanna buy must reserve.

2.some price (really be grateful!!!):

exchange rate is based on 2016-06-26 15:25

1080 FE(not ASUS or GIGA,free ship) ¥5400 aka USD 816

影驰公版1080.pngevga公版1080.png微星1080.png七彩虹1080.png

1080 FE(ASUS or GIGA,free ship) ¥5400-5600 aka USD 816-846

技嘉1080.png

1070 FE(stock and free ship) ¥3500 aka USD 529

some 1080FE(stock and means ship any time)even ¥6000 aka USD 907

Sooooooo,do not complain the high price,we have higher.haaaaaaaaaaaaa

To be honest, at least in the US. Once EVGA gets them in stock the prices seem pretty good. At least from them.

$420 for the Non-SC card.

892.PNG

903.PNG

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

People are just annoyed that the 1070 and 1080 cost so much more than the 970 and 980 did at launch.  And don't forget the 1080 has been put for a month now... 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case