Why does the 1080 cost less than the Titan?

poggwea

The titans only have more Vram than the 1080's and are said to preform better. Why is the titan's price higher than the 1080?

The Titan line has always been a sort of mid-way between a GeForce card an a Quadro card (which I'm sure you know are very expensive for their own reasons).

That's why.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Because they never changed the price to suit the market and pre Titan X Titan cards actually were better than the gaming (Geforce GTX) cards for certain applications because of some technologies in them (something with floating point something.. can't remember the full name)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Oppslia said:

The titans only have more Vram than the 1080's and are said to preform better. Why is the titan's price higher than the 1080?

because it's not really aimed at gaming, its more of a quadro..... but not a quadro.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Titan was released not only as a gaming card, exactly. It has great Double Floating Point Precision performance that makes it useful for enterprise/research scenarios, far higher than "gaming" cards. It is a small market with lower supply and demand than mainstream gaming cards, therefore the price automatically goes up. Initially at $999, it was a good mid-term between gaming cards and Quadro cards for mixed gaming/productivity environments, so you also pay the premium for a card that can handle the two relatively well. The 1080 is also lower priced to compete with AMD, I would wager, since NVIDIA does not want to lose market share given that VR is going to create a lot of revenue in future, and an affordable card is the way forward to securing that market share.

40 minutes ago, Oppslia said:

Titan X has:

• More CUDA cores
  • Higher memory interface width
  • Slightly higher memory bandwidth (not much)
  • More VRAM

That's why.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Let's be honest... The Titan is overpriced... nuff said.

The 1080 is STILL overpriced at the scalping prices but the $599 price is somewhat tolerable if you can get 3 years out of it. $200 a year for a card you won't have to upgrade is not bad.

However... getting your money's worth depends on what Nvidia offers next. Will HBM2 blow away DDR5X...???  Who knows.  The Fury didn't seem to benefit from it's uber insane memory bandwidth. It seems the GPU itself needs to be really powerful in order to take advantage of HBM period.

Titans are released as early adopter's taxes on the big die chips. I would guess yields are really bad on these big dies when Titans release, and Nvidia doesn't release the big dies under 80/80Ti branding (most of them are 80 Ti, but GTX 780 was also using a big die chip) until yields drastically improve to the point it's more profitable to sell them at $700 vs $1000.

I love how so many ppl think the titan is worth it.  The reason is because it is a titan

If they didn't drop the price when the 650.00 980ti came out, why would they now? It is a titan. They were never good performance for the price.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

Because they never changed the price to suit the market and pre Titan X Titan cards actually were better than the gaming (Geforce GTX) cards for certain applications because of some technologies in them (something with floating point something.. can't remember the full name)

Double precision FP64. 

12 hours ago, incarnate said:

They were never good performance for the price.

They're just really good performance.  Period.  They overclock like studs and if you do any sort of GPGPU work (like video editing) along with your gaming, they're kings.

So, yeah, they're worth it.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 hour ago, jasonvp said:

They're just really good performance.  Period.  They overclock like studs and if you do any sort of GPGPU work (like video editing) along with your gaming, they're kings.

So, yeah, they're worth it.

No. If they were worth their price the x80ti wouldn't be priced so much lower. Titans are price gouging cards, priced so high for the name.

Are they really good performance? Yes. Good performance for the price, oh hell no.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

The Titan isn't really that much for gaming, more for editing/work stations, but at the same time, not, I guess. Titan has a bit more vram, more cuda cores among other things. It's sort of like a discount Quadro.

Nothing.

43 minutes ago, incarnate said:

Are they really good performance? Yes. Good performance for the price, oh hell no.

That was precisely my point; quit arguing for the sake of arguing and read the text you're quoting.  Derp.

Some of us don't need to hunt down bang-for-buck; we just want a big(ger) bang.  And for that, they're worth it.

17 hours ago, Oppslia said:

The simplest and most likely explanation for it is that "GTX Titan" is Nvidia's branding for it's premium, ultra high-end cards. The GTX 1080 is being positioned as an upgrade to other x80 tier cards. A Titan based on GP100 or GP102 will probably materialize sooner or later, and it will probably be $1000 or more.

There are differences of course, like the VRAM and the FP64 performance, but those things don't cost Nvidia an extra $400. They price Titans the way they do because they've chosen to, and because they still benefit somehow from selling them at that price.

1 hour ago, jasonvp said:

That was precisely my point; quit arguing for the sake of arguing and read the text you're quoting.  Derp.

Some of us don't need to hunt down bang-for-buck; we just want a big(ger) bang.  And for that, they're worth it.

Just because some ppl have money to burn doesn't mean that titans are worth their price. I did read the text I quoted. Not my fault you can't figure out that I think that titans are over priced. 

My rig:

Because this is how the silicon industry works. We get a process update and then we can pack twice as many transistors into a chip the same size, or halve the price of existing performance (actually its a bit better than that). The titan X is a 28nm chip, its a really big die which makes it really quite expensive, combined with a very wide memory bus and lots of power consumption its expensive to make. The 1080 on the other hand is a moderate sized chip, its half the area of a Titan X and a lot less power so its quite a lot cheaper to produce.

The industry has worked this way for decades, we get more 2x the transistors, which in GPUs is more performance and at the same price its Moore's law.