MSI and ASUS Send VGA Review Samples With Higher Clocks Than Retail Cards

HKZeroFive
7 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

It's false advertising but eh

Nope, as long as that mode is available to the consumer then it's not, plus is a review sample even an advertisement anyway? 

Dodgy? Yep. Shady? Yep. False Advertising? Nope. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Reminds me of people advertising the amd 8350 as a 32ghz processor ???

Well i mean technically it does execute 32 billion cycles per second?  Still doesn't mean anything though

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

9 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

if it were AMD, this thread would have already been 10 pages long  

Considering both MSI and ASUS also make AMD gpu's, no it wouldn't.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

11 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

abce9f7d86f4d5df6422f1df126f8447.png from MSI website showing card clocks per bios. 

MSI-GTX-1080-review-vs-retail.jpg two BIOSes compared. 

The retail card ships with the "modded" bios as a separate profile which the user can activate. 

Unfortunately that stupid gaming app needs to be installed. Instead of a physical BIOS switch like everybody else. 

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

Well, considering that most of these cards differentiate in performance in only a couple of FPS the 2-3fps this cheat gives them can mean the difference of toping the review charts or coming in second or third.

That's why I feel that this is a fraud.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

This has been happening forever from both AMD and Nvidia. Kinda silly to start screaming about it now.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

1 hour ago, Khvarrioiren said:

This has been happening forever from both AMD and Nvidia. Kinda silly to start screaming about it now.

I don't think so, It's never too late to riot against bad practices. If they're doing something bad it's never too late to try and make them stop.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

The performance difference from those clocks is going to be absolutely negligible. It's more likely that review samples are an earlier board revision, and that it's just that AIB's just send those out because why not.

ASUS made a statement: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/asus_release_official_statement_regarding_press_and_retail_gpu_samples/1

ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 graphics cards come with exclusive GPU Tweak II software, that provides silent, gaming, and OC modes allowing users to select a performance profile that suits their requirements. Users can apply these modes easily from within GPU Tweak II.
The press samples for the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 OC and ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 OC cards are set to “OC Mode” by default. To save media time and effort, OC mode is enabled by default as we are well aware our graphics cards will be reviewed primarily on maximum performance. And when in OC mode, we can showcase both the maximum performance and the effectiveness of our cooling solution.
Retail products are in “Gaming Mode” by default, which allows gamers to experience the optimal balance between performance and silent operation. We encourage end-users to try GPU Tweak II and adjust between the available modes, to find the best mode according to personal needs or preferences.
For both the press samples and retail cards, all these modes can be selected through the GPU Tweak II software. There are no differences between the samples we sent out to media and the retail channels in terms of hardware and performance.

what I'd like to know if the reviewers who gets review samples are actually aware of this trick

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

ASUS made a statement: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/asus_release_official_statement_regarding_press_and_retail_gpu_samples/1

what I'd like to know if the reviewers who gets review samples are actually aware of this trick

I'd make a larger wager that they are not.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Looks like MSI had a long history of shady tactics . Not seeing my money every again..

Was this really worth it? 

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 4:02 PM, Kunter said:

Unless you are Linux user, those pieces of software never work on Linux.

I know that probably any linux who cares for the clock will be able to overclock it manually with nvidia-smi, but still, as linux user that seems like false advertisement.

Well Linus Torvald don't exactly like Nvidia, so that's coherent with Linux users opinion on false advertising and other unethical stuffs

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

Well Linus Torvald don't exactly like Nvidia

and this somehow you think only applies to nVidia because?

read the original article, TechPowerUP has a couple of AMD powered video cards in there too

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and this somehow you think only applies to nVidia because?

read the original article, TechPowerUP has a couple of AMD powered video cards in there too

Torvald doesn't hate amd, because it is a question of openess of their software.

The debate was however about the clock of the 1080 in the thread.

It was just a rapid observation, don't take it as a flaming comment.

Noone should care. The product remained within normal operating parameters and nothing was cut off from consumers. If you are willing to drop $700 on a GPU and don't read about its features first, you are an idiot.

...are we bitching about the MSI gaming app? It's just a software switch between three pre-set overclocks. Things like GPU boost and MSI Afterburner make it pointless anyway imo. I've never really used it on my MSI 970s.

8 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

I'd make a larger wager that they are not.

Indicating they can't read or they are seriously stupid...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

Why is this an issue? Many card boost differently anyway.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Even though that thread is from 2 and a bit years ago... Also, read through the comments there.

Sorry, your point is what, exactly? I'm just disagreeing with the assertion that this community is somehow a lot harsher on AMD and more forgiving of Nvidia. The fact that it's ~3 years ago is irrelevant... if anything, I'd say the sentiment has swung more toward AMD recently because of GameWorks and Kepler's drop-off in performance.

11 minutes ago, Scionyde said:

Sorry, your point is what, exactly? I'm just disagreeing with the assertion that this community is somehow a lot harsher on AMD and more forgiving of Nvidia. The fact that it's ~3 years ago is irrelevant... if anything, I'd say the sentiment has swung more toward AMD recently because of GameWorks and Kepler's drop-off in performance.

I think I got the wrong point when typing that reply. Sorry.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats