Mantle vs Directx

brownninja97

Im a bit confused about this. How much of a performance benefit are we looking at with the mantle over directx?

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

BF4 was running maxed out in 3 way eyefinity off of a single 290x at a constant 60fps. Which according to speculation the 290x is abit worse off than a titan. The Titan can only manage 40fps dips in the same setup on BF3 which was directx.

A little bit of guesswork based on speculation but I'ld say anywhere up to the 50 percent ballpark maybe?

|HOLY HELL, that is crazy, i think 50% is a bit steep of a prediction but this is going to be pretty awesome, i cant wait.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It will be awesome assuming all developers adopt it.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

It will be awesome assuming all developers adopt it.

Hopefully we get more then 15fps on minesweeper now

Listen if you care.

And to add on this^,you don't know what settings the game was running at...so dude,please just no..

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

The game was maxed. It was a demo for BF4, of course it's going to be maxed.

Not always they could have small details turned down for the specific reason of showing that it can do 3 way eyefinity on one card. Unless it's confirmed of being on max it wouldn't assume so. Draw distance might have been down a bit. FOV might have been set to it's lowest, all those things make a difference.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Looks like I'm switching back to AMD when I upgrade the graphics card again. ;)

Not always they could have small details turned down for the specific reason of showing that it can do 3 way eyefinity on one card. Unless it's confirmed of being on max it wouldn't assume so. Draw distance might have been down a bit. FOV might have been set to it's lowest, all those things make a difference.

Maxed means turned up completely... So if they said it was maxed then they meant that every setting was turned up as high as it goes.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Hardware was supposed to be a secret, It was purely showing off the game and not the gpu it was running on so it would make zero sense to not be running it at max settings if the intent of the demo is to show off how pretty the game is and how good the engine is. Just that somebody managed to crack onto the fact that it was being powered by a single gpu after the fact.

It's an AMD event. There not there to show the tech press how good the game looks when it's out in a month. They are there to show off the technology.

What's a bigger story, hearing that BF4 looks good at the AMD event or that BF4 was running in eyefinity on one R9290x? 

They made it so that it ran at a steady 60fps not turn up the settings all the way. Maybe it was with everything at max but I don't believe it was.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Maxed means turned up completely... So if they said it was maxed then they meant that every setting was turned up as high as it goes.

But no where does it say it was run at maxed. It just says 5760x1920 on one r9 290x. That's all that is said.

If that was the case then why wasn't it advertised anywhere that it was a single card? it was showing off the game and not the AMD cards, then they tied it back into the hardware by telling people you get BF4 for free with a 290x pre order.

What it was.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/battlefield-4-demo-was-running-on-a-single-r9-290x-at-amds-event-at-5760x1080/

http://games.mxdwn.com/news/amd-r9-290x-is-a-beast-runs-battlefield-4-at-5760x1080/

I'm confused as to what your saying now.

gcn ftw!! yey

more beast

btw since bf4 is now scaleable with cores does it mean in the future it will be better to buy an amd cpu

what does this mean for amd because their cpus right now suck

apu - awesome processing unit

Last time I checked, 5760x1080 isn't exactly a small resolution and 60FPS is where you wanna be when you game. Balls to the wall maxed or not, you have to give AMD credit where credit is due - especially if this was done by a single card. With their hand in the consoles and all this optimization also coming to desktops, looks like AMD stopped caring about Intel and decided to crush their graphics rival instead.

If all this is true, Nvidia better do something dramatic or else they'll be the GPU equivalent of where AMD sits in the CPU world hue.

it was confirmed that it was a single card running at 5760x1080

but what we dont know is

what was the fps

and what were the settings set to

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Regardless, it's refreshing to see AMD stepping up their game with creative ways instead of the Nvidia approach of just adding more raw power.

Do you guys really think that NVidia didnt't see this coming and are going to be overrun by 150% in performance? The alpha benchmarks clearly showed that NVidia cards owned AMD cards. Now I suppose that Mantle was already in development back then... Don't you think that DICE would make so many NVidia owners their enemies if NVidia cards couldn't run the game properly?! AMD might get a few frames more at launch but sooner or later it will be on the same level again.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Like dude i've reached that point now where i just think arguing with people on forums is just useless. 1.) Referring to the initial post - saying they'll be a 50% performance improvement is just plain retarded(numbers really matter my friend,don't go throwing them around)

i) DirectX is already a good API,what mantle will allow is hardware level optimizations,and developers won't take full advantage of it anytime soon(Just like you've seen with consoles) and by the time they probably do,NVIDIA will probably also have something as well.

Anandtech did a pretty good overview on mantle,and please kindly read it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7371/understanding-amds-mantle-a-lowlevel-graphics-api-for-gcn

2. marto, on 30 Sept 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

"BF4 was running maxed out in 3 way eyefinity off of a single 290x at a constant 60fps"

i) Resolution and single card were confirmed. You don't know at what settings the game was running at. The main thing to take on presentations is that they want a balance between visuals and performance.(what i mean is,they won't run the game on maximum and get 15fps, or put the settings all the way down to get 130Fps with CS visuals)

ii) The card is capable of about .5 more teraflops of compute power than the Titan,and in real world performance that's not much dude,do your research well,Mantle is nowhere close to magic.

In my honest opinion, credit is due for AMD yes,but let's not forget that NVIDIA has had the Titan for a while now,and them releasing an equivalent(or more so) at this point is a clear show of the companies shortfalls. 

My advice to many  of the people reading this at this moment is that please don't fall for marketing tricks. Look at real world performance and facts,then make an educated decision based on the product at hand. Stop throwing money away.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

Im a bit confused about this. How much of a performance benefit are we looking at with the mantle over directx?

Nobody knows. The only fact we got so far is that it will enable up to 9 times as many drawcalls, but you can't really make any estimations based on that.

Look at OpenGL Glide VS Native Glide in older game benchmarks..

The games would use the same feature set, but the cards would handle them differently using specific programmed instruction sets...

While not relevant to the new AMD cards, it can show "way back when" about the emulated VS native nature of things

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Glide used to run a fair bit better than Direct3d back in the day.

I am not sure what to expect with Mantle, if it turns out to be 20-40% performance increase developers will be liking their lips to get their hands on it and AMD will own the PC gaming market for a good while.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Also once BF4 beta is out we can get an early glimpse at if DX11.2 with windows 8 will make a difference over DX11 in windows 7. Maybe there is a 10% boost just from that.